Author Topic: Kits on Shapeways  (Read 62274 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Kits on Shapeways
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2017, 09:05:48 PM »
I never could figure out the fins/stabilization for that thing when I was trying to create a digital model of that device.  You appear to have captured the overall look and have applied a practical solution for the bomb fins. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ranchoth

• Has made a career out of building nuclear bombs
    • Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »

What th'heck, three more...

"Red Beard" Nuclear Weapon

In 1/48 and 1/72. 'Nuff said.

The BAC "Grand Slam" Nuclear Missile

Suggested here, awhile back, an unbuilt nuclear standoff weapon proposed for the TSR.2.

And finally...

The Kuangbiao-1/“0-27” Chinese Tactical Nuclear Weapon

The first Chinese tactical nuclear weapon, first tested in 1972—after a slight, minor "hiccup" when the armed bomb failed to release from the carrier aircraft, forcing an emergency landing—this is also, as far as I know, the first model of this weapon commercially available anywhere, in any scale. A must-have for any model Q-5!

Quite an interesting project, really. Also a project that caused a lot of eyestrain over variable-quality photographs, puzzling over machine-translations of Chinese web pages, and sifting through almost 50 year old technical data that managed to sieve through the Iron Curtain. Time for some Visine and a nightcap, I think.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:51 PM »
Keep up the great work Nick!  My wish list at Shapeways continues to grow longer and the anticipated costs of these purchases is reaching a level that has me concerned about living on ramen noodles for the next couple of years in order to accommodate my wish list.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2017, 02:39:31 AM »

;D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Ranchoth

• Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »

What can I say...I've been in an exceptionally low mood, lately. And the best thing to perk me up is to pop on some gloomy music, and research and build some infernal machines. To that end:

The "Slick" KB-1 Bomb (in 1/48 and 1/72)

A slightly different configuration of the earlier posted weapon, as seen in a few different museum displays. Possibly a later development of the weapon in the same program, or even a training/testing shape.

And...

The "524-23" Thermonuclear Weapon

For the first time in the West—a company in Shenzhen seems to have offered a model at some point, but it looks like it's discontinued—a model of the thermonuclear device dropped in the CHIC-8 test of December, 1968; the 3 megaton warhead apparently intended to serve both in a gravity bomb, and in the DF-3/CSS-2 IRBM.

Indeed, this weapon, by my size estimates, would comfortably fit in the both DF-3 and in the bomb bay of an H-6, the latter of which would I imagine be of the most interest here.

Available in 1/48, 1/72, and in a first for me, 1/144.

Keep up the great work Nick!  My wish list at Shapeways continues to grow longer and the anticipated costs of these purchases is reaching a level that has me concerned about living on ramen noodles for the next couple of years in order to accommodate my wish list.  :)

Thanks—you're too kind. :) If it makes you feel any better, though, I'll likely as not be spending much of the proceeds on Ramen myself. ;)

Offline Ranchoth

• Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »

Well, it's been a little while since my last update—and since then, I actually ended up selling enough nukes and Die Glockes last month to pay for a haircut and a tank of gas, with some left over!—and I've been busy researching and building a few more models. I think some of the latest might be of interest:

-"RDS-2"/"Product 601," the Soviet "Little Boy"!

A lesser known product of the early Soviet atomic bomb program, a Uranium gun-type device whose development was launched at the same time as the Plutonium implosion-type RDS-1, and which reached the stage of bomb shape aerodynamic testing, but was ultimately cancelled before production or testing.

Still, a fun historical oddity, or Alternate History/"What If?" build fodder.

-"Thin Man" Atomic Bomb

Does it need any introduction? ;)

-The B90 Strike/Nuclear Depth Bomb

1980s era design, intended to replace the B57 in US Navy/Marine service, but cancelled in 1991 before entering service.

I found exactly one good photo of this weapon (or a testing/training shape), and just enough technical data on size dimensions to have sieved out into the public sphere to build this one. Which puts it slightly above the also cancelled B77, which has two low-quality, angled photos of a training shape, and no published dimensional data.

Still, a possible fun addition for an A-12 or A-6F built, or even a future or foreign-produced nuclear loadout for internal carriage on an F-35 (which the B90 should be a fit for).

More (mostly conventional) F-35 loadouts will be coming in the future, I'll add.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:54 PM »
Was just looking at your latest releases at Shapeways yesterday.  As always, I am quite impressed with your attention to details. 

Maybe sales will pick up sufficiently to let you have a 'spa day' some time soon? :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2017, 05:20:21 AM »
Looking forward to the F-35 stuff.  Once I see that I expect to place a sizeable order covering that plus some of your other stuff.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ranchoth

• Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
You know the only thing that gets to me more than Boolean Operations on Polygons? Carefully modelling smooth, amorphous shapes with little or no distinguishing features. But within, extra joy, exacting dimensional constraints!

Nevertheless, I've got a few new offerings...

-The "F-35 Missionized Gun System" cannon pod

This was a bit tricky—there wasn't a great body of technical information available, photographs and computer models seem to show variation between constructed examples, and, as above, literally being a smooth, low-observable stealthy shape.

But, after some work, I've got a model that I'm reasonably confident in to serve as the MGS.

I understand that the basic body of the pod, as designed by Terma A/S, is intended to serve as the basis for future Multi Mission Pods—for sensors, Electronic Warfare systems, or other weapon systems—as well.

The base of the attachment pylon is the only thing that really worries me; there wasn't much technical detail or pictures of the thing available, and I don't have a model of the F-35 or a printed prototype to do a proper fit check. But it has a flat face, and is approximately the right size at least, so a bit of sanding and/or some putty should be enough make a serviceable join on the bottom of a model, and the model can always be refined in the future.

-The Lockheed CUDA missile.

This one was a request—a cut down, hit-to-kill "Halfraam" intended for carriage in the F-35 and F-22. Comes six to a pack.

And finally...

-The AVPRO "EXINT" transport pod!

One of my favorite odd ideas, a 1990s concept for an external one-man transport pod, complete with heat and oxygen, mounted on a VTOL or attack helicopter (or, apparently, in a proposed variant, as a parachute-equipped unit carried by a strike fighter like the Tornado or Typhoon), for rescue, evacuation, or special operations troop insertion.

It got as far as ground-fit testing, but never entered service, at least with the British forces. There was evidently a rumor that some units from a pre-production run were bought up by the IDF.

The above version is the "closed hatch" two-pack—I've also got an "open" two-pack, and an open/closed "variety" pack.

(I worked for a couple of days trying to design a "universal" print version with a removable hatch that could be attached in either configuration, but alas, with the angles, model sizes, and material thickness tolerances involved, this turned out to be impractical at best.)

I had a feeling this one might be of some interest. Eh? ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:43:39 PM by Ranchoth »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2017, 11:54:52 PM »

One of my favorite odd ideas, a 1990s concept for an external one-man transport pod, complete with heat and oxygen, mounted on a VTOL or attack helicopter (or, apparently, in a proposed variant, as a parachute-equipped unit carried by a strike fighter like the Tornado or Typhoon), for rescue, evacuation, or special operations troop insertion.

It got as far as ground-fit testing, but never entered service, at least with the British forces. There was evidently a rumor that some units from a pre-production run were bought up by the IDF.

The above version is the "closed hatch" two-pack—I've also got an "open" two-pack, and an open/closed "variety" pack.

(I worked for a couple of days trying to design a "universal" print version with a removable hatch that could be attached in either configuration, but alas, with the angles, model sizes, and material thickness tolerances involved, this turned out to be impractical at best.)

I had a feeling this one might be of some interest. Eh? ;)

Absolutely Nick. Need to get some of these. I have the 1/72 Italeri X-32/F-32 and some AV-8Bs which would turn/sever a few JMN heads or legs.  :icon_vader:
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2017, 02:01:07 AM »
Outstanding!!  Glad you accepted my suggestions mate. ;)

Order just placed.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
The F-35 gun pod unit is certainly on the wish list for me.  The EXINT pod is another one that I really liked and glad to see that too has become a reality.  The EXINT pod might also be useful in 1:35th-1:32nd scale for the LSP crowd. 

Offline lippischh

• Wings? We don't need no stinkin' wings ...
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2017, 08:41:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

Would anyone be interested in scale models of various lifting bodies and spacecrafts? like the Hawker design illustrated below? I'm planning to make a whole bunch including the X-24C, ASSET, DynaSoar...etc. Along other hypersonic designs.

The hawker design is already available here : http://shpws.me/OVea

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:09:03 PM by lippischh »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2017, 05:55:42 AM »
Hell yeah, way more interesting than boom-boom shapes.  ;D :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2017, 01:31:42 AM »
I may be interested depending upon subject.

Offline lippischh

« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2017, 05:04:41 AM »
I'm currently working on an X-24C model, should be ready soon. I'm also open to suggestions, so feel free to propose subjects you would like!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2017, 06:15:25 AM »
Would that X-24C be in 1/72?

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2017, 06:22:26 AM »
I live in 1/72 scale.

How about an X-20 Dynasoar with a trans stage/docking adapter or other potential early USAF space station bits. 

Also the X-15A-2/C, X-15D Deltawings and other X-15 paper models?

Feel free to redo the cockpit/canopy if this is too complex.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:25:55 AM by The Big Gimper »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline lippischh

« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2017, 06:37:15 AM »
Would that X-24C be in 1/72?

Yes, the X-24C will be available in 1/72, i may make a 1/128 version available too.

Thanks The Big Gimper for the suggestions, so much interesting stuff. Definitely on my to-do list! Complexity is not an issue to me, as long as it is not a problem for 3d printing regarding thin walls etc...

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2017, 04:25:00 AM »
[chant]DY-NA-SOAR! DY-NA-SOAR! DY-NA-SOAR![/chant]

Also it's cool to see EXINT pods. Has anyone ever done the Stuka version?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline lippischh

« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2017, 11:12:50 AM »
Its a real struggle to find some free time for modelling  :icon_sueno:, but as you can see the X-15D is coming along nicely! :) While it is printable at this stage i prefer to further tweak the model and add more details.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2017, 01:16:53 AM »
 :smiley: :smiley: :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2017, 03:37:56 AM »
Wow! That was fast. Very nice.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2017, 03:45:31 AM »
How about the Russian Kliper spacecraft  either the lifting body or the winged version...or both.

Offline lippischh

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback folks!

That's a very nice suggestion GTX, i wasn't aware of this project until now. Definitely on my to-do list.

The X-15D model is ready to be printed, but before making it available on the shop i thought about showing you guys what it looks like in 3d thanks to sketchfab : https://skfb.ly/6tBXW

It'll be available in 1:128.