Author Topic: Grumman Jet Cat in 1/48 scale  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Grumman Jet Cat in 1/48 scale
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:12:28 AM »
Post W.W. II budget cuts hit the U.S. Navy hard. Just as the jet age was dawning, fiscal concerns prevented them from developing new aircraft. However, a loophole allowed for the modification and improvement of existing designs. After some extensive tweaking of the F8F Bearcat, the Navy's first jet fighter, the Grumman Jet Cat was born.

The F8F's original Pratt & Whitney R-2800-34W Double Wasp twin-row radial engine was swapped out for a Westinghouse JEX 33 experimental turbojet developed by Westinghouse's Jet Research lab in Monaca, Pennsylvania. The new engine improved speed, max altitude and rate of climb exponentially. The Jet Cat prototype hit Mach .99097 in a shallow dive during testing in 1948. The Navy ordered three squadrons of Bearcats to be modified into Jet Cats. This would prove a fortunate decision.

In June, 1950, the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Ticonderoga left San Diego after a major overhaul. Aboard was VF-51, the "Screaming Eagles" and their Grumman Jet Cats. While straight-winged jets were no longer cutting edge, the Jet Cats were more than a match for anything else flying, partly due to their excellently trained pilots. Shortly after the Ticonderoga made a port call at the mid-Pacific island of Maug-Maug, a coded, emergency flash order was received to proceed at full speed to the Sea of Japan and provide air cover for U.S. and South Korean forces retreating from the Red invasion.

The Ticonderoga was on station just off the coast near the 38th parallel in no time and the pilots of VF-51 began patrols over the middle of the Korean peninsula. Soon the Screaming Eagles would meet the Reds in air-to-air combat. Ensign Benson would become famous for shooting down two Red Yaks in a single mission and would go on to become one of the U.S. Navy's first aces of the Korean War. As there was little good news coming out of Korea, Life magazine's July 17th issue featuring Ensign Benson and VF-51's Jet Cats turning back the Red tide was a huge morale boost.

The necessities of war finally allowed the Navy to get new aircraft and the Jet Cats were soon replaced. Nothing of their gallant service in the cause of freedom exists today except that Life magazine and this desk model.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:54:59 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Grumman Jet Cat in 1/48 scale
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:36:03 AM »
A while back, my friend fins (Bill) sent me a care package of model kits and parts. Included was a classic bagged 1/48 scale Hawk F8F Bearcat kit. Everything was there, including the vintage instructions.

It's a little hard to make out, but this kit's as old as I am.

However, this one came with all the bells and whistles.

Including the special set of decals

and a very nice full-color photo on card of some Bearcats.

With a reference like that, there's no way you can go wrong!

Well, um, actually there is. Especially if you have the shock cone and ring from a 1/72 MiG-21 laying around and notice it fits pretty nice.

That took care of the front of my Jet Cat, but I also needed to fix up the back and add a jet nozzle. Some minor surgery was called for.

Originally, I'd made a nozzle by cutting up one of the kit's bombs.

However, after seeing my progress via email, Bill said that nozzle looked too small for the huge jet intake. Doggone it, the man was right! I thought about it for a few days and then cut as much as I could from the tail and added a new scratch built nozzle.

Jeff Fontaine suggested adding wingtip tanks, which I thought was too good to pass up, so I found some large ones in 1/72 scale that seemed to work. Decals were all scrounged from spares and the model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics. This project took me about ten days, give or take a couple needed for consultation and problem solving.

I hope you enjoyed the Jet Cat and the forgotten history of VF-51. A tip o' the pin to Bill & Jeff for all their wonderful ideas! Thanks a million, gents!

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:39:10 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline MaxHeadroom

• The man has built a jet Stuka, need we say more?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:35 AM »
Looks good, Brian!

At first sight, I asked myself "Where is the difference... ooops; he has forgotten the propeller!" (Sorry, Brian ;) )

I think, the barrel-like fuselage of the Bearcat has room enough without need to extend (in opposite to the slim fuselage of my Ju87/387) to implant a jet-engine.

So, well done... and I like the cover of the LIFE-magazine also!
But, why did you put a blind canopy on the cockpit?

Max
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:02:11 AM by MaxHeadroom »

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:03:08 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:40:36 AM »
As always, outstanding and imaginative!

Got me thinking of the original Hawker Jet Fury sketches with the bi-fractured jet pipe which eventually led to the Seahawk.  Jump, a Bearcat bassed jet with solid nose, forward located cockpit, bi-fractured inlets and jet pipes?  Would take more than ten days though, for me it would likely be left incomplete for my kids to sort out in several decades time.

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
A prop-less Ryan Fireball on steroids. Adios, Larry.
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:01:27 AM »
The Jet Cat reminds me a lot of the North American Aviation FJ Fury in appearance.  Very nice work and the modifications look convincing.  It is also a real surprise to see Brian building in 1:48th scale too ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »
You saw a Jet Cat lurking within the Bear Cat and brought it out for all to see  :)
Love how it so much looks the part of F8F getting converted to a jet in late 1940s  :-*

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 02:20:53 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 03:54:50 AM »
I will never cease to be amazed how you can make such simple modifications and make a pure stunner.  :-* If I attempted something like this I would be elbow deep in putty with another shelf queen in the to do pile  :-\
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher