Author Topic: Tamiya king George v  (Read 18697 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Re: Tamiya king George v
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 03:42:13 AM »

Hi all well now we've got our phone and internet back I can start posting again
Here are the kit supplied pompoms

Which to be fair are pretty good
Stupidly I used the eduard ones to be fair they are amazing trouble is I have to now make 7 more of them.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 03:49:02 AM by kpnuts »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »
I'm not sure the effort of PE in that scale is worth the h-f but, even though the kit parts are good, the Eduard version does look brilliant. 8)

Good luck! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
I'm not sure the effort of PE in that scale is worth the h-f but, even though the kit parts are good, the Eduard version does look brilliant. 8)

Good luck! :smiley:
+1

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 03:48:30 AM »
Hi all, well I seem to have so little time for modelling these days, i would have done double this in a day a yr ago, it's annoying how little time I get for modelling these days.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 04:07:25 AM »
hi all more PE done sorry for the glacially slow progress but I don't get much modelling time these days.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 04:18:36 AM »
I think the PE looks amazing. At 1/350 it does make a difference.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 03:08:46 AM »
Hi all loads still to add to this part, slow going but I do feel I'm getting there

I will admit due to my abysmally poor modelling skills I've missed some pe out, as a bit of fun can you spot out the bits I've missed out.

I think PE is pretty much beyond my ability now so I can't see me buying any more.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2018, 03:29:57 AM »
The PE details that you have added to the ship's boats makes them look 1000% better than the kit bits.  I had to go back and look at the topic title to make sure this was not a larger scale kit than the actual 1:350th scale.  The wood deck sections also make this a very attractive model.  Bravo Zulu! :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2018, 04:10:25 AM »
Sorry no wooden deck sections (I used pastels) ,pleased you thought they were wood though.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
Blame it on the bifocals then.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 10:21:48 PM »
Blame it on the bifocals then.  :)

HELL NO! :o

Hold your wooden deck painting skill set high to inspire mere mortals & guide them to the light of self-painted decks, rather than the dark arts of wooden deck decals! :icon_meditation: :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 02:53:18 AM »
Hi all here is the next update,
This sub assy is finished (well as much as I'm prepared to do) I like the unpainted brass standing out against the weathered painted parts, i just wish I had the skills to use all the PE (although to be honest I don't think you would notice the bits I've left out)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 02:54:18 AM »
Hi all here is the next update,
This sub assy is finished (well as much as I'm prepared to do) I like the unpainted brass standing out against the weathered painted parts, i just wish I had the skills to use all the PE (although to be honest I don't think you would notice the bits I've left out)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2018, 03:35:53 AM »
Hi all here is the crane from the kit.

And here it is after the PE

Does anyone know did these cranes have windows in the top (I mean I don't think they stood out on those railings to hoist the ships boats on board) I can't find photos of the cranes details, I would think it would be a fairly simple job to add them if they were there.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 02:50:53 AM »
Here is the next sub assy I'm going to attack

The eduard PE comes with PE Oerlikons but I like the kit ones

One of the reasons is the barrels on the kit parts are round also the PE parts are too thin.

I'm adding some of the PE to the kit Oerlikons to make them more realistic (I could add more PE to it but it's soooooooooooooooooòoo small I've left it off)( of course a lot of modellers would be able to add it but I don't have the skills)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 09:57:34 AM »
top work.  That much PE would drive me crazy

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »

+1 :smiley:

Me, too. :-\

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 04:12:13 AM »

+1 :smiley:

Me, too. :-\

+2
Specially like crane.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 10:38:31 AM »
A hint for when PE is too flat for the object being represented, paint the offending bit (usually after folding and assembling) with some PVA (white) glue. Just a titch. It will tend to round out the flat PE providing a much better 3D effect. Especially in this scale.

Paul

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »
That's a fantastic tip! Will keep that in mind the next time I have to deal with photo-etch.

Helpful hints like this are one of the fringe benefits of our Fine Forum.

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 03:52:47 AM »
Hi all well I finally got some modelling time (Its a rare thing these days)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 05:16:50 AM »
Those are some fine looking details and I'm glad you found time for modeling.

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »
I'm looking at your work & thinking "Do I have the patience to put all that together for my 1/350 ships?" & the answer is a resounding "NO!" :o

Great work, mate! :smiley:

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2018, 02:44:21 AM »
Hi all proof I've not given up on this.

Here is one of the four pom poms on the next part (they just take so long)

Here are the unfolded magazine casings for the rest of them 

Here they are folded

Now I just have to cut the magazine's themselves and bend them then fit them, oh and then cut out and bend the body's, then cut off the magazine's off the plastic parts, oh then bend the cages for the magazines.

I really don't think I will do PE pompoms again.

I saw somewhere where someone makes resin and PE pompoms for 1/700 scale ships that have 100+ parts, including metal barrels. Whoever undertakes those is either a hero or totally insane, or maybe a masochist.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »
I saw somewhere where someone makes resin and PE pompoms for 1/700 scale ships that have 100+ parts, including metal barrels. Whoever undertakes those is either a hero or totally insane, or maybe a masochist.

And here I was thinking you were crazy! :o