Author Topic: Fleaman, or (The Unexpected Delight Of Tinyness)  (Read 4961 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Fleaman, or (The Unexpected Delight Of Tinyness)
« on: March 16, 2015, 04:22:29 AM »
For years I've marvelled at Henri Mignet's oft-maligned homebuilt design, the HM.14 "Pou du Ciel" (Sky Louse or, more poetically, Flying Flea). He said if you could build a box you could build a Flea, and his book "Le Sport de l'Air" on the subject sold thousands of copies in 1934.

Unfortunately due to a design flaw involving the wings overlapping (leading to an unrecoverable dive at certain angles of attack), and overzealous/inexperienced builders using too-powerful engines, several Fleas crashed killing their pilots. From what I've read Mignet's own prototypes could never replicate the flight conditions that led to such a crash - he used a smaller engine - but windtunnel tests showed changed needed to be made. Mignet produced an improved design in 1936 but the aircraft was doomed to remain a subject of jest and mockery...despite the fact several improved HM.14s fly to this day, as well as numerous other Mignet designs. Here in NZ three Fleas were registered although up to a dozen are thought to have been at least started. Of that number only four or so flew, and three restored examples are on museum display with another (near me) having vanished from museum display. One HM.16 has been on and off the NZ civil register in recent times.

Google Flying Flea for some photos - I'm wary of copyright issues, and I surprisingly have none of my own handy)

The Flea has always appealed to me because of its small size (wingspan of 20ft, length 13ft), cute looks, and M. Mignet's assertion anyone can build one. As a teenager I got as far as drawing up the seat back, but Dad would never agree to cut it out for me! I bought a DVD version of his book a while back and have in the last week found some improved (SAFER!) drawing online, which I've saved too. One day, baby, one day.

In the meantime there is a 1/72 kit or two out there but then I saw a preview on Hyperscale of one in 1/144!!!. I knew it would be tiny, I shared it on Facebook to show the lunacy of some modellers, and then a friend of mine dared me to get one.

Turns out the reviewer is a fellow Kiwi, and he listed the review kit on a local auction site for less than NZ$20. Challenge accepted. Kit bought.

Oh God that box is small.

Ohhhhhhhh lordy this is tiny.

Despite the ludicrously small size I was very keen to crack on so, as of Saturday lunchtime, my own little Pou looked like this:

It's surprisingly fun! Attaching the photoetch parts - engine mount, struts, tailwheels - won't be fun, but this is still a very exciting little kit. Coincidentally I've been following a Flea restoration in the UK at another forum and that machine, G-AFFI, is one of the two decal options in the kit. So that's the markings sorted.

Thanks for bearing with me, and I look forward to bringing you another update during the weekend :-).
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Fleaman, or (The Unexpected Delight Of Tinyness)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:24:32 AM »
 :o. Too small....
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:45:46 AM »
Ay, caramba! That is small.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:39:16 AM »
Seriously cool!! 8) 8) All hail 1/144!!!  8) 8) Love these Brengun kits!!  :-*
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 09:35:45 PM »
and it has PE bits as well!!!

Looks like a great way to loose your mind and eyesight!

complete madness.........but look forward to seeing it, with magnifier glass, when finished!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:04:42 AM »
Great little one! Thanks to celebrate it! :)

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 02:33:34 AM »
If the carpet monster gets a piece of that one it would be half the model!!! Neat little kit.
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
Beautiful little kit!!  With all those small parts, I'd have to use telekinesis to put everything into place.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
Thanks folks...small it is! The giant grey cylinders in the pic below are 1/72 USAF rocket pods (A-4, A-37)!

Some great progress today: the rear wing is in place and roughly square. Unfortunately I didn't cut well enough when removing the fuselage from the pour stub so the underside near the nose needed two filler sessions today, so I didn't get as much done as I was hoping. But still! Hoping to do the first bit of PE tomorrow: the rudder post and tailwheels, followed by the rudder itself. I may need some more filler on the bottom, too.

Also wondering if I should try fitting the seatbelts...shoulder AND lap...
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »
Some good progress today: rudder and wheels are on, stick is in and strut mounting points are on the underside of each wing:

But.

I cut off and sanded the engine and folded and glued the firewall-engine mount-front wing mount piece, the largest single piece of PE and vital to the completion of the kit. I put some CA on the engine mounts and dropped the engine in place, but it wasn't in the right spot so I got to fixing it.

Except I somehow knocked it off the bench.

I work in our garage, a small piece of quite smooth carpet on top of the cement floor. Four hours, sweeping and sorting the dust and detritus, and no sign. I've never been so demoralised during a build, I'm at a real loss as to what I should do now. I feel so incredibly disappointed.

Not sure when you can expect another update.
Zac in NZ

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »
Can you order the PE fret from the manufacturer?
This is really a shame. I'm really looking forward to seeing this completed.
Maybe someone out there has a part you can use. At least shipping it would be the cost of a letter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:00:21 PM by kerick »

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 03:44:26 AM »
I am tempted to email Brengun kerick, although the PE fret and the resin "sprue"(?) with the engine represents basically the entire non-airframe components of the kit! So I'm hesitant to ask when it's probably easier to just get a new kit and rob that.

I think part of my (out-of-proportion) disappointment is that I seemed to have underestimated my skill, and that I hadn't actually encountered any problems while building the kit so it was very enjoyable up until The Incident. I'll go through the swept-up dust etc again later this week, and Sam offered to look as well.

In the meantime I've done all I can.........except for the seatbelts! :blink: Although I will do the decals - limited to a design on the rudder and the registration on the fuselage. A friend suggested using part of the fret to cut out a new firewall part, which isn't a bad idea, and I may try stretched sprue for the mounts. The engine.....

Anyway, this shot of an active HM.14 in Europe shows the part/s missing - I've drawn red lines to them. Rather crucial, I'd say! The tiny propeller is safe, though, as seen in one of my shots from yesterday.
Zac in NZ

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 05:28:23 AM »
Could piano wire be used for some of the supports or struts?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
What a unique and delightful subject, Zac!

Looks a real winner in that classic blue and silver scheme too!

Brian da Basher