Author Topic: A couple of Century Series upgrades  (Read 17969 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
A couple of Century Series upgrades
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »
I'm going to be covering the F-105/SU-22 kitbash I started describing on another forum. It's far enough along to rate a thread of its own. Since I also have a F-101 that I am modernizing it seemed practical to combine them into one thread. Also this thread might stay a little more active using it to cover two projects.

The F-105/SU-22 started out like this:
IMG_0914 by kerick214

I recently boxed in the missing area at the trailing edge of the F-105 wings.
IMG_0920 by kerick214

IMG_0919 by kerick214

I cut out the openings for the F-105 main gear. I wanted the ground clearance of the F-105 to keep centerline stores option open.
IMG_0921 by kerick214

I'm debating whether to keep the super thick wing fences or carve them off and cut new thin ones. Photos of real SU-7/17/22s show them to be almost sheet metal thin. I just don't want to get bogged down in AMS.
The severed F-105 wings went to a good cause.
IMG_0915 by kerick214

I'm also building a 50s style rocket ship from a 1/48th F-104 fuselage. Lots of putty and Aves in this project!

Also on the bench for far too long is the F-101. Its the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale kit with a nose from a Micro scale decal sheet from very long ago.
IMG_0799 by kerick214

Its modernized with a 20mm Vulcan gun, J79 engines, F-4 pylons and fuel tanks with F-18 style LEXs. Additional lumps and bumps will be included. More pics to follow.

Also I've switched from photobucket to flickr so it will be a little while until I get that all figured out.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:18:20 PM by kerick »

Offline Kerick

Re: A couple of Century Series upgrades
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »
Thanks for moving this. This is where I intended it, but I must have had an brain fart.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
These are good projects :)     Anxious for more.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
That F-105/Su-22 is one sexy beast! I would leave the wing fences as is. If the thickness starts to bug you, lay down some tape on the wings on both side of the fences and sand the fences thinner. Cutting fences off always ends up generating a ton of extra work cleaning up the surgery site.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »
I was considering sanding down the existing fences like you said. No raised detail on the wings so that would help

Offline Kerick

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
ground off and sanded off the wing fences last night. Not as much collateral damage as I had feared.
Before:
IMG_0922 by kerick214

After:
IMG_0927[1] by kerick214

I have another SU-22 kit and will use those wings as a pattern. Although, the fenceless wings look pretty nice too.

Online finsrin

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 04:34:29 PM »
Yes  :)
Keep at it.

Offline mikejapan

• Keep modeling! You'll get better
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »
I am digging that 105.
Keep the progress going!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »
I cut two fences from the thinnest sheet plastic I have. Not sure if I like it. The two smaller ridges on each wing don't look right either. On the real critter they are also very thin, not rectangles as molded. I told myself I wasn't going to get a case of Advanced Modelers Syndrome on this project but it seems to be creeping in anyhow. I'll throw in some pics tonight and anyone can give an opinion.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
Here's the pics I promised.

IMG_0931[1] by kerick214

IMG_0932[1] by kerick214

I need to make the smaller fences and the smaller pylon that fits between the two provided.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »
Also on the bench for far too long is the F-101. Its the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale kit with a nose from a Micro scale decal sheet from very long ago.
IMG_0799 by kerick214

Its modernized with a 20mm Vulcan gun, J79 engines, F-4 pylons and fuel tanks with F-18 style LEXs. Additional lumps and bumps will be included. More pics to follow.

Also I've switched from photobucket to flickr so it will be a little while until I get that all figured out.
I should mention that the F-101A bailed to GE for J79 testing (and, so I'm told, some other testing) used the extended burner cans of the F-101B.  This can be documented by pictures.  Though the J79 is a smaller engine than the J57, CG requirements might well dictate the positioning requiring the long burner cans.

Online finsrin

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 05:20:21 PM »
F-105 trailing edge blend and thinner wing fences work well.
I would leave off the inner fences.  Removes some of Su-22 OOB identity. Of course is your build.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »

I should mention that the F-101A bailed to GE for J79 testing (and, so I'm told, some other testing) used the extended burner cans of the F-101B.  This can be documented by pictures.  Though the J79 is a smaller engine than the J57, CG requirements might well dictate the positioning requiring the long burner cans.

This is a good point. I was just considering wether the AB cans should be extended or not. I had made some short extensions but something a little more F-101B might be in order.

I'm going to try the second set of fences. Plus the third pylon on each wing. It gives it more of the Fitter look.

A paint scheme decision will be difficult. The Polish SU-22 here looks pretty darn good but there are so many awsome profiles and art work on this site it will be tough to choose. Not a bad problem to have. Plus I need to check the decal stash.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:40:06 PM by kerick »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 10:47:49 PM »
Great! Go on! :-*

Offline Kerick

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
Did a little work on the F-101. I had added LEXs made from a styrene drink cup. After some shaping and PSR last night, I think the LEXs look much better now.

IMG_0940 by kerick214

IMG_0941 by kerick214

I had to prime with dark ghost grey as my light ghost grey gave up the ghost. another good reason to go to the hobby shop.
One more pic.
IMG_0942 by kerick214

Offline Kerick

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
We have pylons everywhere!
IMG_0947 by kerick214

IMG_0948 by kerick214

IMG_0949 by kerick214

I'm thinking of using the F-105 gas bags on the outer pylons.

IMG_0952 by kerick214

Now I have to figure out how to attach the main gear securely. As you can see in pic 1 there is no attachment point for it. Just flat plastic. I'll probably go with some small reinforcing plates

Online finsrin

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
With each new photo the inspirational effect increases  :) :) :)

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
It looks like your main gear attach points are going to cause problems when the outboard wings are swept forward.  Are the wings being fixed in the aft position or are the inboard ends of the movable panels suitably contoured?  I think that, if I were to try this, I'd convert the landing gear from inward retracting to forward retracting, much as Republic did on the AP-75.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 05:33:29 AM »
There is a "bar" molded to the inside of the upper wing that is a stop for the forward movement of the outer wing. I can't attach anything outboard of that. Its visible in pic 1. If I stay inboard of that I should be fine. I think I need to be a little bit inboard anyway to have enough clearance for the F-105 gas bags.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »
The SU-105 is up on her legs. I glued some plastic blocks to the underside of the upper wing half and drilled a hole to accept the peg on the gear leg. I think I got the forward sweep of the gear legs right. Now I have to decide on a paint scheme. SEA does not thrill me. Its either the Polish Air Force scheme with US markings or Israeli paint and markings. At least I already have decals for each.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 03:33:49 AM »
When they finally retired the F-105G from the reserves, they had ones in Euro One and Desert schemes (I seem to remember that the desert camo one had "Desert Fox" nose art).  Either of those would look good on this one.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have the colors needed to do the Polish AF scheme. At least close enough for whiffing. That's a plus. Leaning towards the Polish pattern with US markings unless something awesome turns up.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »
Working on adding a Thunderstick II style dorsal hump. I'll do anything to put off painting.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
Installed the Dorsal hump last night. Minimal PSR as I was able to get it to fit pretty good. Back to pondering painting.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 12:53:13 AM »
Just a side thought, with the V-G wing, might you get the landing speed down to where it could be a carrier aircraft?  USN full-viz colors would be striking, or one of the camouflage patterns they trialed and abandoned over 'Nam.