Author Topic: One man space station  (Read 17816 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: One man space station
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »
Very cool!  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline KerryHynd

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »
I think this one's finished:

I had the capsule and tunnel perpendicular to the
solar panels, but that looked too symmetric. I rotated the tunnel (or the panels) slightly and I think it looks better. The engine is a plastic pearl and the nozzle is from the kit.

I brush painted the fairing; I'll remove it and paint it by airbrush. It's held on with some museum wax.

Not much in the way of sensors, but I see that my cat assistant added one of her cat hairs:

I added the stabilizer panel to the nose:

This is the one thing that is so annoying about this kit - it has all the parts to make an in-orbit Mercury except for the heatshield. Other than that, this was a fun and very enjoyable build.

Here's a quick & dirty Photoshop:

Just awesome..Very very nice indeed.. Love to gather some more details about the project.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:54:56 PM by KerryHynd »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 10:54:43 PM »
Well done!

That looks just like the old Mirro cookie press my mom had in her kitchen growing up.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:02 AM »
Well done!

That looks just like the old Mirro cookie press my mom had in her kitchen growing up.

Cheers,

Logan

Very realistic aluminum finish! ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
Beautifully done  :)

... Not much in the way of sensors, but I see that my cat assistant added one of her cat hairs:

Good to see the feline assistant getting full credit. I note that the Chinese make fine brushes out of cat whiskers. Maybe the shedding would lessen if you threatened to make your own fine-detail brushes?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 12:28:06 PM »
Good to see the feline assistant getting full credit. I note that the Chinese make fine brushes out of cat whiskers. Maybe the shedding would lessen if you threatened to make your own fine-detail brushes?

Nah, Espresso is a good (but fuzzy) cat assistant. Her main job (besides keeping me company) is to keep her noisy hurricane of a sister from bugging me while I'm building or painting. She's also surprisingly good at finding and pointing out small dropped parts.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 09:17:52 AM »
My cats have always been of help in finding "lost" things under my worckbench.   My present cat,Freya, will lay at my feet while I'm working at my worckbench.  You know in their minds, they know their own job is to keep their humans under control and out of trouble.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!