Author Topic: Confederate States Air Force Mirage F-1  (Read 17299 times)

Texgunner

Confederate States Air Force Mirage F-1
« on: May 11, 2012, 06:51:51 AM »
Hello everyone!  I am a brand new member here and I want to contribute my first post to this very cool site.  I usually try to achieve historical accuracy with my builds (mostly 1/48 aircraft) but sometimes I enjoy following my vivid imagination.  I am a school teacher with a History BA and my love of history has certainly helped with "what if" models.  Please allow me to present my Mirage and the scenario behind it.

What if?  What if the Confederate States of America had survived the American Civil War?  What if the CSA had survived right up into the present?  Well, that's the premise behind this aircraft.  I created a scenario in which today's CSA co-exists with the USA here in the 21st Century.  I envisioned CSAF squadrons that were named for Confederate war heroes.  I imagined four Maritime Air Stations; Norfolk, Charleston, Tampa and Biloxi, Miss.  These squadrons are named after famous cavalry commanders of the Civil War.  This CSAF Mirage F-1 is assigned to the Nathan B. Forrest Squadron based at Biloxi.  Their primary mission is anti-ship interdiction.  My "what if" Confederacy requires imported aircraft due to an aircraft industry that still hasn't reached maturity, nor any sort of parity with their neighbor, the United States.  In these pictures, we see a CSAF Mirage F-1 at a small airfield in the Republic of Texas (yes, there's a "what if" story there too, lol.  At some point in the future we may see a Republic of Texas Vampire, or maybe a Gloster Gladiator from the late '30s), making an unscheduled lay-over for some unspecified reason.

Texas seceded from the Confederacy in the early 20th century over economic issues and concerns about the intrusive reach of the Confederate government.  I'm still working out how this event plays out geographically, with current possibilities including Texas "annexation" of Oklahoma and possibly a Republic of Texas reach for Pacific ports (and all that that might entail).

Confederate forces have been involved in several incidences in the recent past.  These would include clashes with Venezuela and Cuba in the Gulf and Caribbean as well as joint missions conducted with Republic of Texas forces against insurgents/narco-terrorists in Mexico.  The Maritime Air Stations share defense of the coast and other airbases throughout the interior of the South maintain bomber and interceptor squadrons.  The choice of the Mirage F-1 for the role shown here was based on economy, simplicity and of course availability.   France had been a supporter of the Confederacy from its beginning and provided various models for purchase by the CSA.  The United Kingdom is the other major aircraft supplier for Confederate needs, having sold Hawker Hunters to the South as their first high-performance jet fighter.

It's fun to play these "what if" games with history.  I've found that concocting these silly scenarios does really open up the creativity for me.  I like to build one of these fictional planes from time to time and I hope these pics, and story might persuade someone else to do one too.

The kit is the Italeri Mirage F-1 in 1/48 scale.  The Exocet she's carrying came from the Monogram Mirage 2000, the rails and Sidewinders from an old Testor's F-18 and the drop tank from Monogram's F-84F, and modified for its role here.  I guess I might mention an experiment of sorts.  I dipped the canopy in Future colored with MM teal acrylic to get a tinted look.  It worked alright here but the first test canopy from the scrap pile actually looked much better.  Oh well.  I learned a new trick.  The low-viz markings were created by me and drawn by my son on an Autocad program and I printed them on our home printer.  Primary colors are Humbrol enamels, Gull Gray and Lt. Ghost Gray.

Thanks for looking, comments are welcomed!

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Re: Confederate States Air Force Mirage F-1
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:04:47 AM »
What a way to make an introduction! :)

Welcome to the site. If that's the sort of thing you'll be bringing to our community, then I can't wait to see more!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »
Bravo!  :-*    Very nicely done.
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 07:36:45 AM »
Love it !! Bravo !... Or should that be "yeeehaaa!!!"   ;)

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:35 AM »
While I have no love of the CSA or what they stood for, I respect your opinion and Love the build on this kit- especially the low-viz interpretation of the stars/bars and also the photo treatment.

Welcome to BTS !

Texgunner

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:30:24 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments!  I really appreciate it.  Please believe me that I intended no political/social message at all with my Mirage build.  I had the kit for quite a while before deciding to give it this treatment.   The idea for the CSA angle came along and sort of developed over the course of a couple years.  I do intend to build another Confederate plane, perhaps a SAAB Viggen or another Euro-jet (Typhoon, Rafale?).  If I can get my CAD guy motivated, a Republic of Texas project is in the works; at this point probably the above-mentioned Gloster Gladiator.  And again, there is no political agenda with that idea either.  ;) I just think these sort of plans are fun to flesh-out and then create.  Once more, please feel free to comment! 
Gary
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:38:00 AM by Texgunner »

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
First up, welcome aboard.

This really looks the part.  I particularly like the lo-viz markings, quite an inspired idea.

Of course, if a recent movie is to be taken with any degree of seriousness, you'll have to black out the canopy for the vampire pilot therein, lol.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:52:16 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments!  I really appreciate it.  Please believe me that I intended no political/social message at all with my Mirage build.  I had the kit for quite a while before deciding to give it this treatment.   The idea for the CSA angle came along and sort of developed over the course of a couple years.  I do intend to build another Confederate plane, perhaps a SAAB Viggen or another Euro-jet (Typhoon, Rafale?).  If I can get my CAD guy motivated, a Republic of Texas project is in the works; at this point probably the above-mentioned Gloster Gladiator.  And again, there is no political agenda with that idea either.  ;) I just think these sort of plans are fun to flesh-out and then create.  Once more, please feel free to comment! 
Gary

Apologies if I made ya' uneasy. Sometimes I post faster than think.
Political Correctness is a crock, and worse when I catch me dishing it out !

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »
love the plane and the story,wish i had the skillz to write a background  like yours!
 if you want to skip the whole badness of the csa but still show your texan/southern pride just start with the republic of texas.
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »
Beautiful work, there.  Actually, I can see Texas purchasing the northern Mexican states in order to get a deep water port on the Gulf of California.  If they are feeling really paranoid, they'll purchase Baja California, too, to prevent the Union from acquiring it and being able to regulate their passage into the Pacific.    I could see them doing the purchase instead of conqueast simply because it would be cheaper in terms of blood and manpower.  What would really complicate matters is if a seceding Texas went and reclaimed all the territory it had turned over to the US in the 1845 treaty where Texas entered the Union; that stretches way north of the current state boundaries.  What could get real interesting is if Congress balked in 1845 and Texas remained a separate country, party to neither the Union or the Confederacy; that would greatly alter events in the western theatre of the War Between the States/War of Secession.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »
Definitely a stunning entrance.  Welcome aboard.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »
From another TX Whiffer, GREAT model and welcome aboard!

Tell us, where you do reside, dude?  And do you know there is a Show next weekend in Dallas with wiffers present?

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »
From another TX Whiffer, GREAT model and welcome aboard!

Tell us, where you do reside, dude?  And do you know there is a Show next weekend in Dallas with wiffers present?

Yes, yes, yes. If you are somewheres in North Texas, do please join use next weekend. Hoping to have two more builds done by next weekend- my Bf 110 floatplane and my RAF Stratojet.....

pastafarian

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »
Very cool.  I wouldn't worry to much on offending with this build.  Folks build tons of German AC and armor from WWII. 

However, as we know, the CSA lost because the Union forces had dinosaurs.  hahaha

If you do end up doing a set of Republic of Texas decals, I'd like to buy a set from you.

BTW, where are you folks from Texas located?  I'm out in Lubbock. 

John

Texgunner

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!  I already like this place and I've already seen a lot of interesting projects here.  I'm located in central Texas; south of Waco and southeast of Temple. If you draw a triangle connecting San Antonio, Houston and Dallas, we're smack in the middle.  As far as being offended, no worries there.  I, too, hate political correctness in all its odious forms.  The PC idea has not helped our country at all I'm afraid...
Gary

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 05:10:52 AM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!  I already like this place and I've already seen a lot of interesting projects here.  I'm located in central Texas; south of Waco and southeast of Temple. If you draw a triangle connecting San Antonio, Houston and Dallas, we're smack in the middle.  As far as being offended, no worries there.  I, too, hate political correctness in all its odious forms.  The PC idea has not helped our country at all I'm afraid...
Gary
Those of us who live here in Texas are gonna need you to be more specific than that. But I'm gonna guess Cameron from the pics. Because my powers of observation kick ass and all.

Texgunner

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 05:55:43 AM »
Bingo!  You are just awesome.  :)

Offline Geoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 06:04:39 AM »
Love the Mirage!

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 06:53:50 AM »
Makes me wonder what sort of equipment and vehicles the modern CSA ground forces would use.

Might they upgrade to the Rafale at some point?

Texgunner

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 07:22:02 AM »
Thanks Geoff!  I appreciate that.  I'm glad you like her. :)
Jacques, my first inclination for this scheme was to use the Rafale believe it or not.  I later changed my mind and went with the F-1, thinking I might later build the Rafale as a navalized (is that spelled right?) version in service with the Confederate States Navy.  Haha, don't get me started man, I can get really carried away with ideas.  I have a Monogram F-4 Phantom in the stash and wondered if the Republic of Texas might not have bought surplus or even new aircraft from the USA.  I'm thinking an F-4 in desert colors patrolling far west Texas wearing RTAF livery might be okay.  What other ideas do ya'll have out there?  I'd love to see them!
Gary

ground forces?  A Leopard perhaps?  Or, maybe a Mercava...

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
ground forces?  A Leopard perhaps?  Or, maybe a Mercava...
Hey, if you stick with the French theme, they could use the Leclerc. Maybe the version built for the UAE with an MTU 883 engine and Renk transmission. I guess the IFV could be something in the CV90 family.

Texgunner

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »
Yeah, the Leclerc, I hadn't thought of that!  Inspired choice!  I like that idea.
 You know, the historical Republic of Texas was constantly plagued with debt and financial problems during its nine year lifetime.  However, modern-day Texas, with its rich resources, might be fairly "flush" with cash.  They might even commission an indigenous tank (or aircraft too perhaps?).  Now that would be cool...kit-bash anyone? ;)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
Is this the Mirage F-1D (D for Dixie)? ;)

Texgunner

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
D for Dixie?  Heck, why not?  I'll get in touch with Dassault and let them know as soon as possible! 8)
Thanks for the suggestion Tophe.
Gary

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »
Yeah, the Leclerc, I hadn't thought of that!  Inspired choice!  I like that idea.
 You know, the historical Republic of Texas was constantly plagued with debt and financial problems during its nine year lifetime.  However, modern-day Texas, with its rich resources, might be fairly "flush" with cash.  They might even commission an indigenous tank (or aircraft too perhaps?).  Now that would be cool...kit-bash anyone? ;)

Attention Ron/sotoolslinger! Ron did a whiff Republic of Texas tank that was on the WhiffSIG tables last year at Scalefest. Anyone remember that build?

Texgunner

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »
Very cool!  I'd love to see that tank.
Gary

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
Maybe if he is nice, he will repost pics...

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 11:42:53 PM »
Here y'all go :-*

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
Thank you  :)

Texgunner

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »
Oh yeah!  Those are great, thanks for sharing them again.  That insignia is the same one I've envisioned for my RTAF planes!  Great minds, thinking alike, lol.  Very cool tanks, tanks a lot. :)
Gary

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
You gonna bring those tanks to Scalefest next weekend, Ron?

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:25 AM »
Its got so many guns poking out it could be made by Game Workshop !!   Great stuff !! :)

pastafarian

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 02:53:52 AM »

I have a 1/35 Leopard that would be a cool defensive item for a modern independent Texas.  gonna have to affix a meat smoker to my rig though.  :P 

John

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 03:07:08 AM »

I have a 1/35 Leopard that would be a cool defensive item for a modern independent Texas.  gonna have to affix a meat smoker to my rig though.  :P 

John
Being Texan myself (naturalized via marriage), the idea of a RoTX tank with an attached meat smoker is so EPIC I think my head damn near exploded.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:08:40 AM by Sentinel Chicken »

Texgunner

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »

John
Being Texan myself (naturalized via marriage), the idea of a RoTX tank with an attached meat smoker is so EPIC I think my head damn near exploded.

Amen brother.  Now that's what I call a Texas-idea; bar b q to go via MBT!  A combat "pit" no less.  Oh, I am so digging that plan.  I may have to start scratch-building a 1/35 scale pit now.  And in a similar vein, when I was a little kid, we had a National Guard unit in Cameron that was made up mostly  of Czech descent, or Bohemian if you will.  Every summer when they headed off to their yearly training, they were famous for taking a trailer full of beer (pevo).  Now, that's how the Bohemian Army went to "war", lol!
Gary
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:53:00 AM by Gary Brantley »

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »
Beer and BBQ are really the only two food groups here in Texas.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
I thought Texas was really just that extremely Northern Territory of Australia...

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 10:01:45 AM »
I thought Texas was really just that extremely Northern Territory of Australia...
That's odd, all these years I thought Australia was just Far West Texas.  ;D

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:45 AM »
Seconded!!

Offline Bryan H.

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
Beautiful Reb Mirage!   8)  If you need any reference material for Texas Air Corps Mirage F.1's, I have a few pics...

Cheers & happy modeling, Bryan
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:59:12 AM by Bryan H. »

pastafarian

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »
Seconded!!

That's kinda funny.  A friend of mine wrote his dissertation on comparative ranching practices between Texas and Australia.  I think that he said a few of the ranch heads actually left Texas and set up down there.  That punk actually spent a year down there drinking and hanging out in archives!  bah.  LOL

John

Texgunner

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »
Beautiful Reb Mirage!   8)  If you need any reference material for Texas Air Corps Mirage F.1's, I have a few pics...

Cheers & happy modeling, Bryan

Thanks Bryan!  And that Texan F.1 is great!  Man, those Southern boys and there Frenchie 'planes!!  Magnifique, tres bien.
Gary

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
Thanks for looking, comments are welcomed!

In Texan service the Mirage F1 could be called the “Bonfire” in honour of the Aggie tradition and the wide nozzle of the jet (in SAAF service it was called the Vlamgat, Afrikaans for “flame hole”).

Texan pilots could have lots of mission marks and kills from service in the Texian Air Legion in the South African Border War of the 1980s. Texas like South Africa being an international pariah at that time because of their racial segregation laws.

The pilot of this aircraft could be the unit CO; Wing Commander George W. Bush the son of Texan President George H.W. Bush.

That's kinda funny.  A friend of mine wrote his dissertation on comparative ranching practices between Texas and Australia.  I think that he said a few of the ranch heads actually left Texas and set up down there.  That punk actually spent a year down there drinking and hanging out in archives!  bah.  LOL

There’s a town in Queensland called Texas because it was formed by land owners “seceding” from a larger estate in 1836 so they thought they’d honour Texan independence from Mexico with a new name and of course it was a pretty funny joke.

pastafarian

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »

There’s a town in Queensland called Texas because it was formed by land owners “seceding” from a larger estate in 1836 so they thought they’d honour Texan independence from Mexico with a new name and of course it was a pretty funny joke.
[/quote]

Huh, I'll check and see if he knows about that.  We called him the "cow chip historian" since he wrote about ranches.  One of the faculty members named me Silky because "it sounded like a good pimp name" since I did my dissertation on prostitution during the American Civil War.  :P

John

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »
Huh, I'll check and see if he knows about that.  We called him the "cow chip historian" since he wrote about ranches.  One of the faculty members named me Silky because "it sounded like a good pimp name" since I did my dissertation on prostitution during the American Civil War.  :P

You had to have played cow chip bingo then. I grew up in the cattle raising areas of Southwestern Kansas (Dodge City, to be exact), my dad worked in meat packing plants. Our local church used cow chip bingo as a fundraiser. They'd mark out a grid inside a pen with spray paint. Each square was numbered. People then bought numbers. They'd let in a steer and whatever square he took a crap on was the winning square. There was a time limit on how long the steer would be in the pen. If it hadn't conducted a bombing run in the allotted time, 1/2 the money went to th ehouse and the other 1/2 carried over to the next round.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »

So beautiful and plausible! :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Wulf

• Does a lot of real world stuff..the deviant!!!
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
very nice indeed

i once did a Republic of Texas Air Force F16......part of the New Confederate States of America.....threads on here somewhere i think....all to do with how the southern states reacted to Obamas inability to stop immigrants from mexico and reduction of budgets

I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Offline TurboCoupeTurbo

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2015, 09:30:13 AM »
Nice camo job on the F-16, and the F-1 is excellently detailed.