Author Topic: Matthews Aviation Art  (Read 57837 times)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2017, 03:51:13 AM »
Began modifying the 3D model for the latest variant a couple days ago:

Creating a more pronounced dorsal hump to extend to the modified vertical stabilizer. 

Very little of the canopy had to be modified to make it appear correct for now.  Still working on the dorsal hump and correcting some minor issues with the topography of the mesh.  Lots of changes that look deceptively minor, but actually take time to do.

You can see there's a bit of a "ridge" near the base of the dorsal hump which was the result of moving things around while shaping the hump.  That'll be corrected, possibly by welding verticies together or just moving them.  Also have sort of a flat spot to take out of the fuselage.  The intake will also have to be modified a bit.  The pitot tube needs to be re-extruded on the starboard side of the intake, and a few of the bulges along the fuselage and stabilizers have to be modified.  Much work for this weekend...

Cheers!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »

No textures, but with additional rocket pods and a new center line drop tank.  Adding a MER with bombs may be in the works.  That, or a single rack with one larger bomb. 

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »
Nice!!

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2017, 01:35:48 AM »
Do you have data to do, say, an Analog (144) after your current efforts?

And then to imagine an armed version thereof?  ;)  :smiley:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:07:41 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2017, 03:50:25 AM »

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2017, 03:54:43 AM »
Do you have data to do, say, an Analog (144) after your current efforts?

And then to imagine an armed version thereof?  ;)  :smiley:

Could it be printed as a solid?  Yes.  The plane is one piece, with the wings, stabilizers, intake spike (etc.) all being extrusions.  If the files were saved with a denser mesh it would probably print-up pretty well.  The ordinance was created the same way, but would have to be modeled separately and cemented to the plane.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:48 AM »
So I forgot to model the cannons...  I also completed modeling a bomb rack and bombs for the desired ordinance load-out:

Bearing in mind, nothing is textured yet (probably start working on that tomorrow by assigning material IDs and pulling the coordinate maps for everything).

There's also an issue regarding level of detail I'm discussing with my client.  There's obviously detail on the bomb rack which I would continue modeling if it were for myself, and were it to be used in a scene where such detail might be visible.  However, in a profile view, such detail wouldn't be very visible at all.  My suggestion was to leave it as-is to save modeling time and money.  Of course, if he wants me to continue modeling details on the bomb rack, who am I to say no?   :D

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2017, 10:25:22 PM »
Very nice!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2017, 10:43:46 PM »
Very nice!

Thanks, Citrus! 

I got the go-ahead to begin texturing the MiG and its ordinance, so I'll set about doing that this morning. 

Meanwhile, my F-105 was just siting in a dusty corner of my hard drive, looking sad because I hadn't worked on it since August. So, I took it out for a bit, made a friend for it, and dropped them into a quick, generic terrain environment:

Now, off to texture a MiG.

Cheers!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
With 3D models like yours, is it easy to invent a Zwilling/twin/double derivative (like in 2D) or very difficult? ???

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2017, 05:31:47 AM »
With 3D models like yours, is it easy to invent a Zwilling/twin/double derivative (like in 2D) or very difficult? ???

Sorry it took so long to get back and respond!  No, I don't believe it wold be that hard at all.  You mean, like a twin boom/twin fuselage MiG?  I'd probably just have to decide where to merge and weld the two models together.  All I've been doing with this one is modifying the original MiG-21F 3D model to create the successive variants.  Takes a bit of planning to get from the former version to the current one, but not that difficult.  New textures have to be done for each one though, since the fuselage changes shape between the three versions.

Here's a shot of the current MiG I'm working on with some partially finished camouflage:

Hoping to be finished with camo and panel lines by Saturday evening, then start grunging it up afterward.

Cheers everyone!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2017, 02:08:35 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2017, 04:31:19 AM »
Looking good.

Thank you very much!  Got the rest of the camo finished except for the canopy, which had to be made as a separate piece.  Finishing that this afternoon.  Afterwards I'll complete the panel lines and start weathering her up a bit (faded panels, chipped paint, a bit of grunge here and there, etc.)

An overnight email from my client revealed he wants me to make illustrations for another nine airplanes now, military and civilian, for his novel!  Wow!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2017, 08:12:16 AM »
Looks good! :smiley:

An overnight email from my client revealed he wants me to make illustrations for another nine airplanes now, military and civilian, for his novel!  Wow!

As long as the money comes in! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »
like a twin boom/twin fuselage MiG?  I'd probably just have to decide where to merge and weld the two models together.
This is good news. I hope you will, reaching a new level in creativity... :smiley:

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »
like a twin boom/twin fuselage MiG?  I'd probably just have to decide where to merge and weld the two models together.
This is good news. I hope you will, reaching a new level in creativity... :smiley:

Might just do that when I have some free time.  In the mean time, more work on the MiG.  Did just a bit of weathering and a little chipped paint near some access panels.  Not really certain how much age I'm supposed to put on this, so I didn't want to go too crazy...

I'm sure I'll end up having to make some adjustments here and there.  Done for the day though.

Cheers!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:02 PM »
Hope you're all in good health and spirits!  Nearing the end of a very nice weekend here.

As it turned out, I didn't have to make any adjustments and ended up just chipping away some paint from places on the fuselage...

I believe this should be the completed camouflaged version of this plane.

I now have to paint a separate version of this one in gray, which I did, and sent a sample to the client to get his take on whether he wants some parts darker or lighter.  Once I get it completed, I'll post it here.  Thankfully it should be a fairly easy proposition of changing a few brightness/contrast values in PS.  After that it'll be time to start 3D modeling a new airplane for him.

Cheers!

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2017, 07:45:53 PM »
Impressive. I particularly like the stressing on the spine.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
I'm looking forward to finding out what book these are all for.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »
Impressive. I particularly like the stressing on the spine.

Thanks so much!  I was hoping I hadn't gone overboard with the weathering effects on this one.  Sometimes, as with the texturing for the L-133 model I made, I end up setting it aside for a few days so I can come back and look at it with a fresh eye to decide whether it looks okay.  The client was pretty happy with this one, so it'll be the final version.  The gray one will be just overall medium gray with blue tac numbers and loaded with missiles.  Aside from the diffuse color, I'll most likely re-use the rest of the textures from the camo job to complete that part of the project.  Hopefully I'll complete that today, amidst the errands I have to run, and I'll post it later this evening.  Then it'll be time to consider which of the nine other planes he wants done and which one I'll start next. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
I'm looking forward to finding out what book these are all for.

So far I have limited knowledge of the novella he's writing, and I've agreed not to disclose anything.  All I can say presently is that it's an intriguing idea and could be quite interesting.  The airplanes I've illustrated so far are just one side of things.  I agreed to illustrate Soviet planes first, then I'll move forward with western aircraft for him. 

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2017, 04:57:12 AM »
Without further adieu, here's the MiG wearing medium gray paint as requested with blue tac numbers:

and with red numbers:

Seems repetitive, but I had to make both with the different colored numbers to give the client a good idea of how they would each look so he could choose which one he wanted.  I also suggested making MERs with different missiles as opposed to the same ATOLs and racks we've been using.  But, that's up to him.

Cheers!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2017, 06:50:57 AM »
Wicked!

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »
Maybe dark grey "low-vis" stars would still improve the grey camo in the clouds, no?

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:43 PM »
Maybe dark grey "low-vis" stars would still improve the grey camo in the clouds, no?

Makes sense with the overall gray color.  I suggested that, but I think he prefers the color insignias.