Author Topic: Centurion Tank Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 76629 times)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Centurion Tank Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »
Bundeswehr Raketenjagdpanzer Centurion ?

Or even just a Bundeswehr Centurion MBT
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:27 AM »

Or Budweiser version.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
 ;D

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2018, 05:16:46 PM »

Ordnance BL 6.5″ Mk. I Demolition Gun HESH round.  The round beside it is a 25 Pdr. Round.

The Ordnance BL 6.5″ Mk. I Demolition Gun became known as the 165mm Demolition gun, as mounted on the Centurion AVRE and the US M60 variant, the M728.

More details about the gun and it's development can be found here if you're interested.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
^ You sure? The 25 pdr was 88mm, call it 1/2 the diameter of the 165mm round?

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
^ You sure? The 25 pdr was 88mm, call it 1/2 the diameter of the 165mm round?

No, I am not sure.  That though, is the caption on the photo, on the website linked to.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2019, 05:21:07 AM »
Can someone advise me what variant this is:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:32:36 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2019, 07:42:34 AM »
Alas, not me. But it got me wondering ... was the FV3804 Gun Limber (Ammunition) armoured?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2019, 09:45:35 AM »
Looks like a trials vehicle for a light recovery version.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
The image showing the comparison between the 165mm round and a smaller projectile is labeled as being a 2pdr6pdr*/57mm in the image that Rickshaw shared above.  That puts things a bit more in perspective. 

*Edit to correct my mistake that was brought to my attention by JCF.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:40:57 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2019, 07:54:20 AM »
2pdr bore is 1.575" so 40mm.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »
Thanks Jon, I was thing of the 6pdr while typing that out.  Brain farts again.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »
Thanks Jon, I was thing of the 6pdr while typing that out.  Brain farts again.

Happens to all of us ... Well, me, anyway! :icon_crap:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2020, 03:58:23 AM »
Oh good Lord, they're channeling DethKlok - which works.

...cause trust me on this, your average tank crew be like ->
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:37:20 AM by Story »

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »

In reality, wasn't the Centurion the preferred tank of the Bundeswehr? I think I read somewhere something along the lines of because of the Korean War, Britain couldn't fill the Bundeswehr orders, or something to that effect.....

M.A.D

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2021, 08:19:29 AM »
Real World
Constant scale: 1 pix ----> 1 cm

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:15:16 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2021, 04:22:23 AM »
In reality, wasn't the Centurion the preferred tank of the Bundeswehr? I think I read somewhere something along the lines of because of the Korean War, Britain couldn't fill the Bundeswehr orders, or something to that effect.....

I believe that was the case for both Switzerland and Sweden that would lead to the Pz 61/68 and the Strv 103. I think both would have been largely content to order more Centurions had British production been able to meet the short term demand.

Also, a lot of people don't realize that many of NATO's Centurions were actually bought by the US as part of the MDAP aid.

For example:

When the tank were purchased both by Danish and Netherlands government, they were indeed purchased from the British Government, however this purchase was done by the Economic Cooperation agency of foreign service of the United States of America.

This wasn't just a "backchannel" deal, but an official deal; Winston Churchill forwarded the proposal to buy the Centurion to the Secretary  of  State for War, Anthony Head and let them distribute these tank to equip other NATO countries under the Mutual Defense assistance program (MDAP) sponsored by USA while also giving possibilities that USA itself can use the tank if they want to. Under Truman's leadership, the US Government agreed to purchase between 500-1,000 Centurion Mark 3 under the MDAP act 1949.

Each unit of Centurion costed $210,000 which also include the additional cost in the rearmament  program  for the  country  concerned. At least 216 Centurion tanks were given to the Danish between 1952-1954 and 591 Centurion were given to the Netherlands between 1953-1956.

In short, the Danish and Netherlands Centurion are legally considered as United States of America's property, making them officially an American tank. This is also why many of the Dutch Centurion ended up in Israeli Defense force service later on, since they were returned back to USA, and they gave this tank to the IDF.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2021, 11:05:13 AM »
... Also, a lot of people don't realize that many of NATO's [fill in blank] were actually bought by the US as part of the MDAP aid...

There's a potentially useful macro!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2021, 04:41:13 AM »
Indeed! Although certainly rarer with non-US equipment!

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2021, 12:49:24 PM »

I believe that was the case for both Switzerland and Sweden that would lead to the Pz 61/68 and the Strv 103. I think both would have been largely content to order more Centurions had British production been able to meet the short term demand.

Also, a lot of people don't realize that many of NATO's Centurions were actually bought by the US as part of the MDAP aid.

For example:

When the tank were purchased both by Danish and Netherlands government, they were indeed purchased from the British Government, however this purchase was done by the Economic Cooperation agency of foreign service of the United States of America.

This wasn't just a "backchannel" deal, but an official deal; Winston Churchill forwarded the proposal to buy the Centurion to the Secretary  of  State for War, Anthony Head and let them distribute these tank to equip other NATO countries under the Mutual Defense assistance program (MDAP) sponsored by USA while also giving possibilities that USA itself can use the tank if they want to. Under Truman's leadership, the US Government agreed to purchase between 500-1,000 Centurion Mark 3 under the MDAP act 1949.

Each unit of Centurion costed $210,000 which also include the additional cost in the rearmament  program  for the  country  concerned. At least 216 Centurion tanks were given to the Danish between 1952-1954 and 591 Centurion were given to the Netherlands between 1953-1956.

In short, the Danish and Netherlands Centurion are legally considered as United States of America's property, making them officially an American tank. This is also why many of the Dutch Centurion ended up in Israeli Defense force service later on, since they were returned back to USA, and they gave this tank to the IDF.

Cheers,

Logan

Thanks Logan, that's some interesting information 👍

MAD

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2021, 02:32:51 PM »
Just stumbled across this:

America was keen to have Centurions supplied to Denmark and the Netherlands under the Mutual Defence Assistance Program, as production of the M48 Patton would not start until April 1952. A Mk 3 cost £31,000 or £44,000 with ammunition..

Also of interest in relation to the M48:

The offensive of Pakistan's 1st Armoured Division was blunted at the Battle of Asal Uttar on 10 September. Six Pakistani armored regiments were opposed by three Indian armoured regiments. One of these regiments, 3 Cavalry, fielded 45 Centurion tanks. The Centurion, with its 20-pounder gun and heavy armour, proved to be more than a match for the M47 and M48 Pattons.[47] On the other side, when Pakistani Army armoured division primary composed of M47 Pattons and M48 Pattons, they proved to be only able to penetrate a few of the Centurion tanks, as witnessed in the Battle of Chawinda in the Sialkot sector. A post-war US study of the tank battles in South Asia concluded that the Patton's armor could, in fact, be penetrated by the 20-pounder tank gun (84 mm) of the Centurion (later replaced by the even-more successful L7 105mm gun on the Mk. 7 version which India also possessed)

MAD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 02:41:25 PM by M.A.D »

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2021, 11:00:11 AM »
Another french proposal for IDF: AMX-32 turret. 8)

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2021, 10:25:09 AM »
Centurions raised by plugin from M4

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2022, 06:38:45 PM »
This is supposedly a drawing of the Israeli study (in cooperation with Britian) into incorporating the Royal Ordnance L11 120mm gun into their Centurion ('Sh'ot-Kal') fleet. I don't know much about the program or how accurate the drawing, but would appreciate if anyone has more details into this Israeli study, if it in fact it really existed.

MAD
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:50:53 AM by M.A.D »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2022, 02:59:05 AM »
Well there was the FV 4004 Self-propelled gun based on a Centurion 3 hull with a larger calibre 120 mm L1 gun in a turret made from rolled plate.

And the Olifant Mk 2 was proposed with a 120mm gun.

Where did you find the image?