Author Topic: SLB Heavy Industries - M2 medium tank - Done !!  (Read 14509 times)

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
SLB Heavy Industries - M2 medium tank - Done !!
« on: November 25, 2019, 11:54:11 PM »
SLB Heavy Industries  -  M2 medium tank
Started this weekend

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:37:18 AM by Steve Blazo »
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: SLB Heavy Industries - M2 medium tank
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 09:07:22 AM »
Hooray! Another SLB Heavy Industries construct on its way! Woo-hoo! ;D 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »
Ohh.. I know where the kit parts come from.
That is always a great game with master scratch builds such as this is bound to be

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:53:14 AM »
Watch the orientation of those gas caps and the shape of the plate they sit on, they don't match the drawings you have there. There probably also would not be the bullet splash strip near the caps, either.

I built this exact scratchbuild as a pattern for Commander's Series Models back in the early 90s.  ;D

You're starting better than I did as I used the Tamiya M3 Lee hull to start from and it's too wide. I had to fudge a bunch of angles to get it to work out. Also watch out for the fact that the tracks and road wheels on the M2 were narrower than those on the M3/M4 families. Mind, there's bugger all you can do about that without a huge amount of work. I said sod it and used Sherman track and updated the Lee suspension units.

Paul

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »
Quite impressive so far!  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
Cool! Is SLB-HIs M2 medium tank going to be entered into the U.S. Enters WWII Early (1940) GB?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Steve Blazo

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 08:49:12 PM »
Watch the orientation of those gas caps and the shape of the plate they sit on, they don't match the drawings you have there. There probably also would not be the bullet splash strip near the caps, either.

I built this exact scratchbuild as a pattern for Commander's Series Models back in the early 90s.  ;D

You're starting better than I did as I used the Tamiya M3 Lee hull to start from and it's too wide. I had to fudge a bunch of angles to get it to work out. Also watch out for the fact that the tracks and road wheels on the M2 were narrower than those on the M3/M4 families. Mind, there's bugger all you can do about that without a huge amount of work. I said sod it and used Sherman track and updated the Lee suspension units.

Paul

Thanks for the advice Paul
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Steve Blazo

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
Cool! Is SLB-HIs M2 medium tank going to be entered into the U.S. Enters WWII Early (1940) GB?

That is the plan, if I can get it done in time.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline kim margosein

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
Would the Stuart track and road wheels be accurate?

Offline Steve Blazo

• flickr
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »

I think they will be close enough, only other option I have is scratch building them. Not a task I want to try.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Steve Blazo

• flickr
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 09:17:12 PM »
Update –

- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 11:54:19 PM »

I think they will be close enough, only other option I have is scratch building them. Not a task I want to try.
Stuart track and road wheels will be far too narrow for an M2. Noting that the M2 had narrower tracks than the M3/M4, they were only an inch or so narrower and looked almost identical, it's far closer to use a set of Sherman T41 track for and M2 than using Stuart T16 track. The Stuart road wheels look quite different than the M2 wheels which are very close in everything but width to the Sherman standard wheels.

I'd suggest using a set of Takom or Miniart M3 Lee suspension bogies, wheels and tracks. The bogie trucks will still need a little modification to add fine details like the gussets and reinforcing ribs, but they are 95% of the way there out of the box. Plus, you get all the suspension units you need in one kit instead of needing two kits to get the right number of wheels and still need Lee bogie trucks as the Stuart units are totally wrong for an M2.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:56:38 PM by tankmodeler »

Offline Steve Blazo

• flickr
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 02:01:56 AM »

Stuart track and road wheels will be far too narrow for an M2. Noting that the M2 had narrower tracks than the M3/M4, they were only an inch or so narrower and looked almost identical, it's far closer to use a set of Sherman T41 track for and M2 than using Stuart T16 track. The Stuart road wheels look quite different than the M2 wheels which are very close in everything but width to the Sherman standard wheels.

I'd suggest using a set of Takom or Miniart M3 Lee suspension bogies, wheels and tracks. The bogie trucks will still need a little modification to add fine details like the gussets and reinforcing ribs, but they are 95% of the way there out of the box. Plus, you get all the suspension units you need in one kit instead of needing two kits to get the right number of wheels and still need Lee bogie trucks as the Stuart units are totally wrong for an M2.

Paul

Thanks Paul, after looking closer I have ordered an M3 for running gear.  Thanks again for the advice and info.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 12:21:53 AM »
Thanks Paul, after looking closer I have ordered an M3 for running gear.  Thanks again for the advice and info.
BTW, please don't take my comments as criticism. If you want to build your model a certain way, I'm not trying to tell you what to do (even though it certainly may read like it  :D )

I'm a bit of a rivet counter and strive for accuracy in my models, even WHIFs. I have scratch built a lot of armour over the years so I'm just trying to offer advice on making it more accurate. If that conflicts with your vision, budget or fun level, please don't hesitate to tell me to shut up. I promise I won't take offence.  ;)

If you want more advise or references, though, I have a lot of both.

Paul

Offline Steve Blazo

• flickr
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 01:48:20 AM »
BTW, please don't take my comments as criticism. If you want to build your model a certain way, I'm not trying to tell you what to do (even though it certainly may read like it  :D )

I'm a bit of a rivet counter and strive for accuracy in my models, even WHIFs. I have scratch built a lot of armour over the years so I'm just trying to offer advice on making it more accurate. If that conflicts with your vision, budget or fun level, please don't hesitate to tell me to shut up. I promise I won't take offence.  ;)

If you want more advise or references, though, I have a lot of both.

Paul

No problem, I did not take it wrong at all. Any help I can get, I will take. You are right about the running gear, I just had not looked at it that close. That's the great thing about posting here, other eyes to help see what you missed. All comments make me a better modeler. Please keep watching the build and please offer advice.
Steve
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Steve Blazo

• flickr
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 09:03:42 PM »
Update 2

After some good advice from Tankmodeler, I found a cheap M3 kit at a local hobby store. It has much more accurate running gear.

- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 04:56:13 AM »
That's coming along well and I especially like the grill work in the back.

Brian da Basher

Online Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 05:32:49 AM »
Very, very neat build

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 05:40:50 AM »
Very, very neat build

Ditto on that for sure.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
Nice work! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 01:12:37 AM »
After some good advice from Tankmodeler, I found a cheap M3 kit at a local hobby store. It has much more accurate running gear.

HOWEVER, please don't use the track or road wheels. The road wheels have 6 spokes instead of the correct 5 and the track has the end connectors in the middle of the pads instead of joining two pads together. Dip into the spares box for proper spoked early Lee/Sherman road wheels for this.

The rear idler mounts are complete rubbish as well and the kit doesn't have the proper "pepperpot" exhausts or rear engine plate of the M2.

If (and only if) you are up to spending a bit more, I would suggest either buying the Academy M3 Lee or the new Takom or Minicraft early Lees. The Academy kit is pretty reasonably priced now that the much better Takom and Minicraft kits are available and has better detailed bogies, good idler mounts, the proper spoked wheels and quite reasonable track. The other two kits are much better again, but are much more expensive if all you're doing is using the running gear.

Minicraft also has a new kit of the earlt R-975 with the pepperpot exhausts as a separate kit that you could use down in the hull (as it's a clear view down into the engine bay in these tanks).

The 37mm M5 gun and mount are going to need to be scratchbuilt, but you may be able to get Commanders Series models to sell you just those parts as they have an M2A4 Light Tank kit and I think that's the only other kit and vehicle that has that gun mount.

I'm sure that more unsolicited advice was just what you were looking for at this point, right?  ;D

Paul

Paul

Offline Steve Blazo

• flickr
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2019, 02:30:06 AM »
Thanks Paul, keep the advice coming, it sure helps. Due to time constraints for the group build and semi-limited budget, the items I can not scratch build will have to be as close as I can find. Hopefully it will look the part for the group build and be good enough for a show.

Thanks again for all the advice and help.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2019, 04:23:53 AM »
I love scratchbuilt armor projects, especially of the 1920s-30s. This is looking good!

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2019, 04:43:39 AM »
Awesome work and great skills with the plastic card!

I have always fancied scratching a M2 or perhaps some AH alternative but never found the time. 

Your model is first class and thanks for sharing the construction pics.   :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2019, 04:02:33 AM »
Tidy build there Steve