Author Topic: Nieuport 28 floatplane fighter, U.S. Navy, 1919.  (Read 2678 times)

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
Nieuport 28 floatplane fighter, U.S. Navy, 1919.
« on: February 11, 2016, 08:44:31 AM »
When stationed at Pensacola NAS, Florida, LT(j.g.) Mick Dolan lamented a lack of an assigned airplane, due to an unfavorable pilot-to-serviceable airplane ratio. He spotted a Nieuport 28 with a smashed landing gear and a spare set of Hanriot-DuPont HD.2 floats. The lightbulb went off. With grudging permission from Commander "Rock" Hardman, and the help of some eager mechanics, he got his own airplane to fly, much to his delight. There is no evidence as to how the hybrid performed and a hurricane turned it into a pile of firewood. So endeth my little tale.

The airframe is the '60s vintage Revell 1/72 kit, built OOB, sans undercarriage. The floats, float struts, and enlarged fin/rudder are leftovers from the HR Models 1/72 Hanriot-DuPont HD.2 kit. the Hanriot parts fit the Nieuport like they were made for each other. I drilled and cut out the openings in the cowling.

The decals came from the scrap-box and the rudder stripes are painted on. I brush-painted the model. I used a home-mixed Blue-Gray (mixed from Vallejo Acrylics), Testors Flat Yellow, and Tamiya Turn Signal Amber over the gray kit plastic for the floats and propeller.

I had this build in mind ever since I finished the HD.2 landplane. I got the idea for the colors and markings at the U.S. Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola, Florida where I visited two weeks ago. The colors and markings are based on those found on the historic Curtiss NC-4 flying boat, on display there.

This is already one of my personal favorites of the "What-if?" builds that I have done.

Adios, Larry.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:56:59 AM by CSMO »
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
Re: Nieuport 28 floatplane fighter, U.S. Navy, 1919.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:31:14 AM »
That is nice!!👍
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »
lovely!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
Sweet!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:18 PM »
Sweet! Lovely! And Nice!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 06:08:59 AM »
That's got to be one of the sweetest looking Nieuports I've ever seen! Love the look of the yellow wings contrasting with the gray fuselage and the bright markings!

You have some very enviable talent indeed and an artist's eye, Larry!

Well done!

Brian da Basher