Author Topic: What-If Weapons - Ground - WIP  (Read 11368 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
What-If Weapons - Ground - WIP
« on: March 23, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »
While I have a lot of ideas for building the part where the idea gets turned into a work in progress sometimes never gets further than staging the parts together in one box for building it at a later date.  This sometimes gets a bit further along such as this current WIP to create some what-if large caliber small arms for anti-material/anti-tank weapons. 

I managed to get three different weapons built and modified with two actually receiving optical devices and the third on hold while the wound in my finger heals (finger meets #11 X-Acto blade and loses match). 

The first weapon was sort of already built as that is the way it was molded so that only the bipod needed to be attached.  This is the Boys .50" Anti-Tank Rifle from the Italeri 1:35th WW2 Weapons and Equipment set and it is a bit anemic on the size of the barrel, almost looks like it could pass for a smaller caliber weapon such as the .408 Cheytac or the .338 Lapua so I am going to settle for that as the caliber instead of the .50" that the original weapons were chambered for.  The modifications were simple enough, I cut the magazine from the top of the weapon and moved it 180 degrees so that it is now mounted on the bottom of the receiver.  This gave me the much needed space to mount the weapon optics which came from a Hasegawa or Fujimi 1:48th scale Hughes 500/OH-6? kit that started life as the TOW Missile sighting system and with a couple of passes with the hobby knife and sanding stick it looks rather riflescope-ish and not out of place on top of the weapon.  I determined that it was best to work out the idea on the Italeri weapon in lieu of ruining a better weapon from Tamiya or the new one from Riich Models. 

If you want to learn more about this weapon you can visit the Wikipedia page: Wikipedia > Boys Anti-Tank Rifle

The other two weapons were a bit more complicated as they are from the both included in the DML/Dragon Russian anti-tank figures set: DML/Dragon 6049 1:35 scale Soviet Anti-Tank Team 1942-1943

Both weapons have separately molded bipod legs that have to be mated to the weapon and both were a real PITA to affix as the flat spot on each weapon was so tiny and difficult to see that it was tempting to just go find a one piece bipod and use that instead.  I made several attempts to get the parts to fit right and the CA cement was not setting up and drying fast enough which was odd as it had worked just fine previously when gluing parts and occasionally my fingers togehter so maybe it was shelf life issues or maybe not as I had similar problems with a fresh tube from Gorilla Glue but that at least did dry and the legs were finally attached.  In between the attempts with CA cement I used two different types of liquid cement and both failed so it was not just the CA cement that was giving me the problems. 

If you want to learn more about these to fine Russian plinkers you can go to these links at Wikipedia:

Wikipedia > PTRD 14.5mmX115 Anti-Tank Rifle

Wikipedia > PTRS-41 14.5mmX115 Anti-Tank Rifle

The PTRD (looks like a couple pieces of pipe with a bipod attached) was fairly easy to assemble but it did have a couple of very tiny parts that could easily be left off and ignored.  The PTRS-41 had one carrying handle that was lost during the construction process and I have not made up my mind on replacing it or just leaving it off, it would be ahead of the optical sight if it is attached so probably best to ignore it now. 

The PTRD has a generic looking sniper scope mounted on it that was included as optional parts in one of the many AR-15/M16/M4 weapons sets and it looks rather like it belongs there.  The PTRS-41 will have a what-if weapons sight that I built from a hydraulic jack and a tail light.  The hydraulic jack was part of the Italeri 1:35th scale Field Workshop and Tool set and the tail light was found in my parts pile of which there were four and just by chance, four of the hydraulic jacks so I opted to fabricate four identical optical sights to have some spare for use on future projects.  It was while I was working on number four that I stabbed my finger with the #11 X-Acto blade so I am going to be waiting a few days before going back to finish attaching the what-if scope to the PTRS-41.  Attached images are a bit fuzzy thanks to me and my cell phone camera. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:33:39 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: What-If Weapons - Ground - WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:04:01 PM »
Nice job, Jeff! I know exactly how difficult it can be to kit-bash/scratch-bash small-arms & I'm seriously impressed! :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:39:14 AM »
Thanks Guy, 

Finger wound still hurts today and still not healing fast enough for my liking.  Damned blood thinner meds probably to blame for that. 

I wish I had some more of those tiny  48th scale TOW sights.  I think that shape and size are the best match for a whif-weapon based on these larger caliber weapons. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:56:41 PM »
Jeff - They all look good, in particular the Boys - and believable, since IIRC, it was used as a sniper rifle in Korea. I hope the finger gets better.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 12:38:19 AM »
Those look like a million bucks, Mr Fontaine!

It takes some real skill to work with subjects that small!

Most excellent, amigo!

Brian da Basher

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 02:24:57 AM »
Thanks Brian, I am starting to think that some kind of magnifying device for looking at the tiny parts is looking like a necessary purchase about now.  ;)

@Frank, a lot of the Boys ATR that were imported to the U.S.A. were converted to chamber and fire the .50" BMG cartridge since the ammunition for the original was scarce while the BMG is plentiful.  Aside from being set up for right handed shooters only, it is quite the weapon for sniping or just causing mayhem against soft targets. 

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 04:45:40 AM »
The kit-bashed scope looks pretty darn convincing! :)

Yet another reason to not throw any kit left-overs away. Ever.  >:D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
The kit-bashed scope looks pretty darn convincing! :)

Yet another reason to not throw any kit left-overs away. Ever.  >:D

The down side to that is boxes full of parts that you have to sift through looking for that ONE piece you think you saved just for that special idea you had but forgot where you put it... :)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 06:37:53 AM »
Jeff: Love the idea of whif AMRs! What a great concept   :-*

The Boys was actually .55-inch ... so it sounds like that Italeri kit is waaay underscale. Good call going with .338 or .408.

Watching with interest! Hope the finger heals quickly and good luck with future #11 X-Acto battles!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »
Thanks S.  Finger is still tender but seems to have a durable scab over the wound now, surprised at how deep that blade went, I was fortunate in not having done more damage than I did.  So with sore finger to remind me to be careful, I did fiddle with two of the p roject cannons today, taking up where I had left off with boring out the end of the receiver to accept a turned aluminium barrel from CMK.  These particular FlaK.38 pieces are from the Italeri Berge Panther ARV kit that is armed with a free swinging (sort of) 20mm mount in front of the assistant driver position.  It has an interesting mount that defies all logic so far as to how it all went together in order to balance the weapon and allow it to swing about to shoot at things.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 05:21:07 AM »
Finger is still healing, nice hard lump where the #11 blade point went in and it is still reminding me of my failure to pay attention to sharp things under pressure. 

The PTRS-41 now has a scope mounted.  The scope was originally mounted on an SVD Dragunov sniper rifle.  The PTRS-41 has a close relationship to the SKS having been designed by Sergei Simonov so I am just a little bit familiar with how the receiver looks and how the after market scope mounts are attached to the SKS and decided that a large scope on the PTRS-41 might not be as practical due to the design.  I had the PSO-1 rifle telescope with mount from the DML SVD Dragunov sniper rifle and at first, I was unwilling to attach the thing as it appears to be too flimsy looking and fragile in appearance.  But after some more thought on the idea I finally decided FIDO and mounted it this morning. 

Another weapon was also partially finished up this morning that had been sitting for about two weeks now waiting for me to do something with it.  This was an FN FAL sourced from the Italeri 1:35th scale NATO weapons set.  The FN FAL shapes are hard to come by in polystyrene and this one had a missing barrel.  I opted to give it a suppressor plus an extended bi-pod and it looked okay so I set it aside to let it dry.  It survived the modification without drooping on me so that was a good sign.  The FN FAL has a bit more room to work with so I opted to mount what looks like an AN/PVS-2 night vision/starlight scope on top of the receiver.  While it does look a tad top heavy it is still looks convincing.  The AN/PVS-2 is rather dated technology and has been superseded by lighter and more advanced weapons sights but those are hard to come by in 1:35th scale unless you like buying LiveResin in large quantities just to get the one or two parts you need.  Nah, stick with what I have in the parts box and enjoy the building experience! 

***Edit to try and get one of the images to show correct side up.  It opened on my side and looked right but after upload it was displaying upside down.  Four attemps so far to try and fix the issue.  Still FUBAR.  Pulled the image.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.   >:D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:50:00 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 05:30:17 AM »
Round two. 

I mounted the fictional weapons sight on a Tamiya Boy's ATR after modifying the thing one last time to have the power supply and adjusting device on the left side instead of the right side as I had originally built it.  This was due to my realization that as a right handed shooter it would complicate things by having the controls out of view when you were looking through the scope so by mounting it on the left side I could then use it to also mount the whole thing to the side of the weapon instead of trying to wing it with attaching it to the top.  Itty bitty parts are a right PITA when you have big fingers and thumbs.  :/ :icon_crap:

In the ever growing pile of parts I discovered a pair of G-43 rifles that as far as I can tell are from some unidentified Tamiya kit.  Not the best in details but still a G-43 so I mounted an M1918 BAR bi-pod on both of the things just to see what it would do for appearances.  Now if I can find a suitable scope to mount on the things to create a couple of DMR type rifles. 

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 10:18:38 AM »
Love the suppressed FAL with the Starlight Scope!  :-*
Cheers,
Moritz

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »
Hi Moritz,

The Italeri FN FAL is a bit on the small side.  Hoping to acquire a couple of the FN FAL shapes that are included in one of the DML weapons sets (Vietnam era weapons if I remember correctly).  Will try to repeat my efforts with one of those and the same night vision optics or something better if I can find suitable in the parts pile.  Getting short on bi-pods too.  :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »
Continuing the good work, I see! :)

The Dragon Vietnam Weapons Set includes 2 x F1 SMG's, 2 x L1A1 SLR's & 2 x early FN FAL's, from memory (I've got what's left of a set somewhere but all the good stuff's gone).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 03:45:56 AM »
Continuing the good work, I see! :)

The Dragon Vietnam Weapons Set includes 2 x F1 SMG's, 2 x L1A1 SLR's & 2 x early FN FAL's, from memory (I've got what's left of a set somewhere but all the good stuff's gone).

Hi Guy, 

I know I have that weapons set some where in the stash, have not found it yet but hopefully it will turn up soon.  It contained just a pair of the L1A1/FAL shapes plus two M14 rifle shapes and a number of other weapons such as the BREN chambered in 7.62X51 NATO (another one of my favourites). 
As prolific as the FN FAL was in all of its variations (Metric and Inch) you would think that it would not be ignored in the model industry.  I know there are resin FN FAL shapes out there but the prices with shipping can not be justified and with the DML weapons set providing just two of the things (a damned shame, really) you have to purchase several just to have a reasonable number at hand.  Same goes for the M-14 rifle too as it was only available in two DML kits (M274 Mule with and without the 106mm RR, and the SOCOM Sniper figures as the M21).  A bit of a problem for trying to model the early cold war era models when that weapon was in use.  The LiveResin M14 is nice but so pimped out that it does not really appeal to me.  My favourites are the M14 as the squad automatic weapon (with the bi-pod and pistol grip stock) and the M21/DMR version.  When it comes to the FN FAL, it can be just plain or tricked out as it looks great with or without accessories. 

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 06:01:36 AM »
I believe Live-Resin hinted at a new FAL in their news thread over on Armorama.

They've posted a couple of rather neat CAD drawings of a G3 family to be released soon. 8) Have thought about swapping the flimsy sliding butt of the Para version with a foldable piece from Trumpeter's UMP or G36.
Cheers,
Moritz

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 07:50:11 AM »
I believe Live-Resin hinted at a new FAL in their news thread over on Armorama.

They've posted a couple of rather neat CAD drawings of a G3 family to be released soon. 8) Have thought about swapping the flimsy sliding butt of the Para version with a foldable piece from Trumpeter's UMP or G36.
That might make for an interesting looking FN FAL if you do the butt stock swap.  :)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 06:57:21 AM »
Trying to find something to do with some ERA blocks I had in a bag that originated from a DML (T-72/T-80) kit and ESCI/AMT-Ertl/Italeri IDF M60A1 with IMI Blazer ERA that had been gathering dust and taking up space waiting for a purpose. 

Some of the Blazer bits had matching parts and a lot of the Russian ERA bits were of uniform size so it was off to creating something from this bag of bits. 

End result was some kind of Limpet Mine or Demolition Charge (Linear Shaped Charge perhaps). 
Not sure what the weight of these things would be but I would guess at 80-90 pounds for the large charge and roughly half that for the small charge. 

Dimensions in 1:35th scale are:
Large - 12.0"W X 12.0"H X 21.0"L
Small - 12.0"W X 12.0"H X 12.0"L

First image shows the individual parts not assembled save for the three IDF Blazer ERA bits that I glued together to begin the assembly process.  The remaining images show the finished items. 

Some of the other matching Blazer ERA bits were glued together but at this point I have no idea what to do with the things.  They have potential to be used in some kind of electronics rack, at least the rectangular and square shapes.  There are some that have angled surfaces that are in the "what the hell do I do with it category" for now. 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »
Great stuff and they sure look like demolition charges to my untrained eye, Mr Fontaine!

Impressive work with what seem to be some delicate parts! You've got a steady hand indeed!

Brian da Basher

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 12:49:05 AM »
Never know what can be combined to create something interesting when you have a large parts stash :)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 01:14:20 AM »
Yup, looks like a demolition charge to me as well. Now, regarding your A-20 drop tank question, I suppose you could fashion a nice swimmer delivery vehicle from those.  8) Some fins, shrouded prop, some thingamabob for a control co sole and two Navy SEALs from a Dragon kit.

<...> They've posted a couple of rather neat CAD drawings of a G3 family to be released soon. 8) Have thought about swapping the flimsy sliding butt of the Para version with a foldable piece from Trumpeter's UMP or G36.
That might make for an interesting looking FN FAL if you do the butt stock swap.  :)

Yeah, would make it look more modern and maybe also bring down the weight a tiny bit. Maybe a  new handguard with some rails as well?My stock swap  idea was meant for the G3's para version. The FAL's para stock looks beefy enough. A friend of mine (former Panzergrenadier) wasn't too imressed with the sturdiness of the G3's sliding stock. A folding stock like the G36's or even the FAL's would make them more compact in the back of a Marder.
Cheers,
Moritz

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 02:36:03 AM »
<...> They've posted a couple of rather neat CAD drawings of a G3 family to be released soon. 8) Have thought about swapping the flimsy sliding butt of the Para version with a foldable piece from Trumpeter's UMP or G36.
Yeah, would make it look more modern and maybe also bring down the weight a tiny bit. Maybe a  new handguard with some rails as well?My stock swap  idea was meant for the G3's para version. The FAL's para stock looks beefy enough. A friend of mine (former Panzergrenadier) wasn't too imressed with the sturdiness of the G3's sliding stock. A folding stock like the G36's or even the FAL's would make them more compact in the back of a Marder.

There are some resin FAL shapes out there from Mouse House in Australia if I remember correctly.  Getting the things without feeling violated is the problem for now. 

Yup, looks like a demolition charge to me as well<snip>
Thanks, I was trying to not make the things too complicated and keeping with the keep it simple rule I think they look the part.  Certainly as background clutter if nothing else. 

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2022, 10:46:01 AM »
280mm Mortar Ammunition WIP. 

The first image shows the mortar shell as provided in the Amusing Hobby 280mm SP Mortar kit (Paper Panzer based on the Cz-38 hull) a figure to provide scale and physical size and the what-if 280mm mortar shell that I created from spare bits and pieces. 

The 280mm mortar shell from the Amusing Hobby kit comprises two pieces.  The mortar bomb body (basic tear-drop shape) and a funky looking multi-fin thing for the base of the round.  It is rather plain and lacks any real details for a projectile that is rather large as seen with that figure in the image. 

The what-if 280mm mortar shell was created from a 1/16th scale 128mm projectile (Trumpeter parts), the hollow-charge round from the DML/Dragon PaK36 37mm AT Gun and some rubber O-Rings that were purchased from a local industrial parts supplier.  The hollow-charge round in real life was intended to be placed over the PaK36 gun barrel and it turned the Pak into a sort of spigot mortar/grenade launcher.  I turned the warhead on the hollow charge down to fit the hole in the base of the 1/16th scale 128mm projectile which is quite close to 280mm in 1/35th scale (win-win) and the next step is pending as I need to reduce the span of the six fins at the rear of the mortar shell to match the diameter of the shell body.  The rubber O-Rings are supposed to represent the individual charges that would be found on the complete mortar round in order to fire a full or reduced charge by removing increments. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2022, 04:58:11 PM »
Mortars? ???

Anything over about 4" (105mm) & I'm lost! :-\