Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 318301 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- My Thought Spins Off Continued
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »

Wanting to throw a couple of other "cute" things (rare naval artillery and ASW Chinook) together with the naval HAWK launcher, I changed the basis for naval-HAWK-armed destroyer yet again.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:30:03 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Getting Moving Again
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
After month of getting stabilized on my (no-longer new) job, I've finally started having time doing something other than reading and commenting on posts......

First I decided to overhaul the idea that I used to mess around with involving HAWK launchers on ships and planes.  Then I got reminded of the Geratria military idea that Logan Hartke brought up a while ago and figure I can base my stuff loosely on it again, leading to the following Shipbucket pics:

The first one is actually meant to depict a ship from the "opposing force".  B in F69B stands for "Bombarder" (hopefully I got the right French word)...... to denote the presence of an 8" automatic main gun.

Now on to the good guys.

The second one is a carrier with its hull based on the CVV line drawing posted in the Alt. RAN thread somewhere on this forum.  "Based on" because line drawings, being what they are, won't allow me to do a perfect CVV without investing more time than I could currently spare.

Third, the baseline Type F69 class DDG and the common starting point of the other Type F69 pics in this post.  I want it to be an export-type warship related to the Georges Leygues class frigate, but then I wasn't imaginative enough to go beyond swapping guns and electronics.

Forth, reverse-engineered adaptation of the Type F69 class with the aft gun replaced with a naval HAWK launcher- compared to the F69B in the first pic, which is afforded with the full-range of French exports (plus an US-made 8" gun; until the F69B destroyers went to war against their half-sisters, which is why the French didn't give 'em the Sadral launchers), this one has just bits and pieces of modern foreign products.  As for the Seacat 2 launcher...... maybe it's indeed British-inspired.

Oh and where did that Panther come from since I've already implied that the "opposing force" is the one getting modern French imports until very lately?  That could actually be a Z-9C; the ship's already got C-802s to replace the MM38 launchers, after all......

Comments and suggestion welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:09:50 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
Nice CVV
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2012, 11:02:38 AM »

Aircraft carrier of the "opposing force".  Not much modification other than the Phalanx guns.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:56:08 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »
You've got a fantastic fleet, dy031101!

Brian da Basher

Offline dy031101

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2012, 07:51:57 AM »
Thanks.  ;)

===============================================

I remember reading somewhere long ago that the Russians attempted to sell their Project 9.31 MiG-29K to Thailand for the Chakri Nareubet.

Now the consensus amongst second-opinions is that the carrier might not even be big enough for the MiG...... but what if the Spanish incorporated the American development of the SCS into their export designs so that the Chakri Nareubet would definitely have been big enough?

(EDIT: Uploaded the wrong one; the correct one has relatively more-complete deck marking...... at least they are my uneducated  guesses on what they might look like......)

(I heard that the Chakri Nareubet has three Sadral launchers; I have no clue where the other two should be.  Does anyone know?)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:56:38 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Question: "Boosted" PT. 428?
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
On Shipbucket's Alt. Universe Missiles part sheet there is a "Boosted" PT.428......

I heard that PT.428 is a low-level SAM and the predecessor to the Rapier system.  Does anyone know if it's referring to the missile in its boosted or unboosted form?  And if the answer is latter, what is the role of the boosted variant?

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
Re: Question: "Boosted" PT. 428?
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
On Shipbucket's Alt. Universe Missiles part sheet there is a "Boosted" PT.428......

I heard that PT.428 is a low-level SAM and the predecessor to the Rapier system.  Does anyone know if it's referring to the missile in its boosted or unboosted form?  And if the answer is latter, what is the role of the boosted variant?

Ohh man Shipbucket, it hurtz my eyez!

Boosted PT.428 was the PT.428 missile with add on first stage booster in an attempt to meet the RN's requirement for a new air defence missile. It was judged to be lacking in range and the SIGS program, which became CF.299 (aka Sea Dart), was launched in its place. It was a going thing around 1961.

PT.428 gave birth to both the Rapier and the Sea Wolf. To grossly simplify it was a Rapier missile with Sea Wolf guidance system neatly packaged in a firing unit that would fit on the back of a four ton truck with 18 ready to go missiles. The best source on the PT.428 and all things British and missilery is Chris Gibson’s “British Secret Projects: Hypersonics, Ramjets and Missiles.”

Offline dy031101

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2012, 12:51:03 AM »
Boosted PT.428 was the PT.428 missile with add on first stage booster in an attempt to meet the RN's requirement for a new air defence missile. It was judged to be lacking in range and the SIGS program, which became CF.299 (aka Sea Dart), was launched in its place. It was a going thing around 1961.

Can I then get away with using the SIGS, boosted PT.428, and navalized Rapier as equivalents to Standard, Sea Sparrow, and RAM?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:53:07 AM by dy031101 »

Offline AGRA

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »
Can I then get away with using the SIGS, boosted PT.428, and navalized Rapier as equivalents to Standard, Sea Sparrow, and RAM?

You can get away with whatever you want but there is no way history could have produced all three of those weapons side by side. You could have SIGS (Sea Dart) alongside a navalised PT.428 (but not boosted) and even Sightline which was an optical guided version of PT.428 (which later evolved into Rapier). In this case PT.428 would displace Sea Cat from the RN (and Sea Wolf via Terminator style retro-abortion) and maybe Sightline as a lighter and simpler weapon system.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »

Do whatever you want mate...so long as you are happy with it.

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Another Question: "Boosted" PT. 428?
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
I heard that Invincible class CVS was to have four(!) Lightweight Sea Wolf launchers......

Let's say...... if we're gonna put Sightline/Sea-Rapier launchers onto a CVS, what should the ratio be between the launchers and Blindfire radars?

Also, how heavy is an unboosted PT.428 compared to a Sea Wolf and a Sea Cat?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:49:29 PM by dy031101 »

Offline AGRA

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Another Question: "Boosted" PT. 428?
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »
I heard that Invincible class CVS was to have four(!) Lightweight Sea Wolf launchers......

The lightweight Sea Wolf launchers were pretty small each having only two ready fire missiles. Quite a few RN ships concepts from the 1970s had a lightweight Sea Wolf on each quarter, even a ~2,000 tonne frigate. Sea Wolf itself isn’t a big missile but the fire control system is quite bulky.

Let's say...... if we're gonna put Sightline/Sea-Rapier launchers onto a CVS, what should the ratio be between the launchers and Blindfire radars?

Sightline was the PT.428 missile with only optical guidance. Rapier evolved the missile somewhat and added radar target indication and IFF. Blindfire was later added to Rapier to provide an alternative fire control to optical for night and all weather capability. PT.428 had Blindfire from the get go. So Sightline with Blindfire is actually PT.428.

PT.428 was about the same size and weight as Rapier so much lighter than Sea Cat and Sea Wolf.

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- New Poll's Up!
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
Most of my pics have a "parallel universe" setting to them- "never-were" items that didn't make it in our world (and items I deem cool but were discontinued due to their countries of origin, say, losing a world war) did there, but history background in our timeline doesn't apply.

So what I have in mind right now is that I'll just use the boosted PT.428 box launcher on primary surface combatants that are not fleet/area-AAW (Sea Dart ships and aircraft carriers) assets and pass it off as something along the line of a boosted Rapier......

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

==============================================================

Convair Model 200 and Mirage IIIV don't embark on this one at the same time; it's one type or the other, depending on the operator.  Lynx and Sea King are common, however.

I was trying to mimic somewhat the WWII USN colours on the choppers...... oh well.

Once again, comments and suggestions are welcomed.

==============================================================

The poll has been replaced!  Have at it!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:19:57 AM by dy031101 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
A-6F's supplemented by EA-6H's (re-engined and re-winged EA-6B's) and KA-6H's (tankers taking advantage of the larger volume and greater power of the EA-6H airframe).  For fighter coverage, F/A-18A+/B+ aicraft where the airframes have been zero-timed and the lighter and more powerful elements of the F/A-18C/D have been added; I understand they are quite the "hotrods".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:09:25 AM by elmayerle »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2012, 07:43:13 AM »
Judging from the results...... two votes.  Others seem pretty inspired by 0:42 of this:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Meanwhile, two more to go with the Post #76.

This is meant to be a helicopter frigate- it was hoped that by adopting an ASW modification of H-21 helicopter the ship itself would not need be armed against submarines.  Otherwise it made quite a bit of use of recycled ordnances as well.

This is after a limited upgrade.  Visible changes include the British-inspired Seacat-2-imitation replacing the old Seacat, C-802 replacing the MM38, torpedo tubes for some basic ASW firepower just in case, and the H-21s giving way to an ASW version of imported Z-8J.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:12:27 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
 :)

« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 06:16:45 AM »
Very purposeful looking Frigate and I love the ASW H-21 idea!  :)

Offline dy031101

« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »
Alright, thanks folks.

As for the ASW H-21...... expect to see Chinook, Rotodyne, and Osprey in the future as well.

Actually someone beat me to it with respect to Chinook and Rotodyne, but I still want to think up something, even if I might risk producing something very similar......

================================================

Oh and can someone suggest a good illustration on a good way of tethering a balloon or airship to a manoeuvring ship?  Or would a strong cable really all that's needed?

================================================

See Below

Based on some proposed evolution of Arleigh Burke class AEGIS destroyer, this development then incorporates optimisation for embarking SV-22 ASW Osprey and AW-101 Merlin (acquired due to availability constraint of the ASW Osprey- aircraft carriers and strike cruisers would received the tiltrotor first), as well as two Bofors 57mm CIWS firing programmable ammunitions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:32:22 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »
Hum...... no balloon-tethering idea?  Or really I just need a strong cable?  :icon_meditation:

===========================================

Scroll Down Some More

Made some minor changes to the my AU Arleigh Burke development, namely the option to be built with either the 155mm gun-howitzer or the Oto-Melara 5" and replacing one of the Merlins with an adaptation of the MCH-101.  I would have wanted to know enough to give that MCH-101 some weapons fit à la HH-71 CSAR-X though.

Now I wonder what similar changes I can do to a cruiser......
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:48:23 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
So a stalemate between A-6F and A-7F so far......

====================================================

Deprecated; new version here.

When I saw the Hornet Class Strategic Sea Control Ship drawing at the Shipbucket forum, I was thinking...... hey, if there was a predecessor to the Strike Cruiser Mk.III and Mk.IV drawings that I modified into, this might be like it.  As the name implies, I intend it to be the vanguard to an aircraft carrier or battlecruiser (Westernised Kirov class) battlegroup before the programme got expanded into capital ship status......

The original author called for a fairly-high degree of logistical commonality with the Ticonderoga class AEGIS cruiser and an airwing of six Harriers and six Sea Kings- I take it that what's good for the Sea King should be good for the Merlin......

The Millennium cannons and SEAPAR-derivative gun control radar (meant for both the Oto-Melara 5" gun and the Millennium systems) are installed after the Turn of the Century, replacing the Phalanx systems and AN/SPQ-9, respectively, although I actually couldn't decide if I should have upgraded the Phalanx to Block 1B or replaced them with RAM and/or SeaRAM instead.  The Millennium from its description sounds closer to the Bofors 57mm CIWS I put on the Strike Cruisers, however, and should pack more of a punch against rocket boats (which is a common "bad guy" platform in my AU) that got too close than a Phalanx would.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:21:34 PM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »

Oh and can someone suggest a good illustration on a good way of tethering a balloon or airship to a manoeuvring ship?  Or would a strong cable really all that's needed?

I can't help so much with an illustration, but I would suggest that perhaps a tower/capture basket similar to that shown below might work:

This could be made retractable/foldable when not required and could also provide A ready crew access point.

As for when maneourvering, I would tend to think you would show the airship/blimp etc not attached 'hard' but rather away for the ship and maybe only tethered.  So long as the cables had fast reacting drums to control slack/taughtness of cable you should be ok with the ship maneourvering.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:18:07 PM by GTX_Admin »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »
Had some fun with AEGIS ships today:

I attempted to replace some generic items for this drawing of a G&C Air Warfare Destroyer proposal...... granted, choosing the Bushmaster II sounds rather deranged on my part since the 30mm guns aren't much of an anti-missile defence but rather an anti-FAC weapon, IIRC, so I gave it a RAM launcher on top of the hangar, just behind the aft VLS battery (either the helicopter control radar, the missile launcher, or both are to be offset, ostensibly so as to be out of each other's way).  And I honestly am not sure if the thing behind the forward missile director (see attachment below) is indeed a SPQ-9B......

I really wanted to put a Merlin on the Tico...... and if there weren't so many estates on top of the hangar superstructure, I would have done something to the hangar to make that possible......

I'm fixing things as I go here...... oh wait, isn't the USN planning to incorporate SPY-3 into the AEGIS destroyer (see attachment below)?  Guess that's some more thing to try......

And given my penchant for look-alikes, this is what I did after seeing a drawing of an alternate universe "Linebacker CIWS" on the Shipbucket site.  The original author of the Linebacker drawing called for a 30mm gatling gun (which I assume to be GAU-8) and six RAM missiles. And the destroyer has three of them.

Now that I think about it, I might still need a fire control radar or two for the Mk110 and Linebacker since, IIRC, neither of them has on-mount fire control radar.  Dang!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:04:08 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »

Some more fun with AEGIS ships.

This time it's a Skyhook.  Kongo class was chosen as a basis because of the bigger command facility, which I assume to also be beneficial to air operations as well...... but I'm not exactly depicting a Japanese ship; I do want to try making it look less advanced than Atago and newer batch of Arleigh Burke classes just this once though, so bonus points for the lattice mast.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:49:45 PM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »
Love your Skyhook! :)