Author Topic: FAA F-4 Phantom Help  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
FAA F-4 Phantom Help
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:30 AM »
Hey guys, I'm working on some profiles for a story of mine and I need some help.  I know in real life only Ark Royal carried Phantoms operationally but Eagle and Hermes were supposed to undergo refits so that they could carry them.  Money of course prevented this in real life.  For my story The RN has 4 Phantom carriers and 3 Commando carriers.

Phantoms:
Audacious-Class:
Eagle (R05)
Ark Royal (R09)
Colossus (R10)

Centaur-Class:
Hermes (R12)

Commando Carriers:
Centaur-Class:
Centaur (R06)
Albion (R07)
Bulwark (R08)

OK, each Phantom carrier carries one squadron of Phantoms.  In real life only 892 NAS (the ones with Omegas on the tails) operated Phantoms.  My question to you guys is what other squadrons could/would have transitioned to the Phantoms?  Were any other slated to make the change and didn't?  What others would you like to see flying Phantoms?  Are there any neat insignias that would lend themselves especially well to Phantoms?

The profiles will be circa 1984 in a very different Falklands scenario, so ED sea Gray over White with high-vis markings.  I might do some "re-paints" IE toned down versions painted on the way.

I'm not very familiar with FAA squadrons so any and all help will be appreciated.

-Mike
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: FAA F-4 Phantom Help
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »
Well, unless there's a reason not to use them, I'm partial to No.804 Squadron (Tiger squadron).