Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Scifi and Fantasy / Re: Tiberian Wars - GDI Amphibious APC
« Last post by Buzzbomb on Today at 02:51:27 PM »
Thanks team.
Solution to the whole scale thing appears to be not have any reference points and you can make up your own mind.

Pretty much going to call this as done.
Couple of homemade GDI marking decals and a few scavenged from one of the left over decal boxes.
Lights are done with mostly craft goodies, like round diamante thingies and sparkly jewelly things.

Also the other Tiberium Sun/Wars builds as a comparison, Orca Bomber and NOD Venom
That Transall C-160/V-22 Osprey match up is well balanced and looks like it would actually work.  :smiley:

Second what Jeff said.   
My Oh My you have good eye for combinations.....  :smiley:
Naval GB / Re: The Science Pirates: Early operations
« Last post by finsrin on Today at 09:51:15 AM »
OOOOH !     Most interesting, keep going....
New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: Mikro-Mir models
« Last post by apophenia on Today at 09:48:54 AM »
Another for the 1/72 crowd:  Ju388:

Interesting choice. I wonder, does another kit in this scale suggest issues with the Special Hobby Ju 388 offerings?
New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: Infinity Models
« Last post by apophenia on Today at 09:44:27 AM »
The "Beast" in Beast scale  ;D
Aero-space / Re: Blohm & Voss BV 141 Ideas and Inspiration
« Last post by apophenia on Today at 09:38:47 AM »
I have a fuzzy memory of a symmetrical Bv 141 WHIF ... but can't find an image. Does anyone else remember such a twin-engined build?

It's as if you knew I'd been working on the Airfix kit OOB(what's that backwards :-[?) for the last couple of weeks!

Looking forward to see what you do with it, Zac  :smiley:
Profiles and Pixels / Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Last post by apophenia on Today at 09:29:14 AM »
Thanks Jeffry  :smiley:  More on the 'Super Helldiver' theme but no real backstory this time but a bit of arm-waving is needed ...

I'm imagining a range of options for submissions to eclipse the rejected SB3C concept. Here, I've grouped some of those options onto example airframes. The basic airframe features an extended rear fuselage with twin tails for more stable handling. Options are:

1: Inverted-gull anhedral on inner wing panels
-- Benefits are a slightly deepened bomb bays and shorter/lighter main undercarriage legs

2: Improved defensive armament, remotely-controlled gun turrets option
-- General Electric Model 2CGD50URC1 dorsal and Model 2CGD50LRC1 ventral gun turrets

3: Improved defensive armament, manned gun turret option
-- Grumman Type 150SE electrically-operated dorsal turret

4: Improved offensive armament, internally-mounted torpedo
-- Bomb bay changes to accommodate proposed 12-foot torpedo

The latter option involved Curtiss' proposal that the British 18-inch aerial torpedo be modified and adopted by the US Navy as an armament option specifically for the SB5C. The British torpedo would be much shortened to fit witin the bomb bays. Shortening the torpedo body would shorten the weapon's range which meant closer-in attacks. To compensate, the basic SB5C would be armed with 20 mm Hispano cannons to suppress defensive fire from ships under attack.

If the standard SB2C wing was adopted for the SB5C, the lower bomb door sections would need to be removed for clearance. If the inverted-gull form was adopted, the increased 'head room' in the bomb bays would allow the bomb doors to be fully closed. In either case, the dive bombing 'trapese' swinging-arm would need to be removed before loading torpedos into the SB5C. The emphasis on torpedos would be Curtiss' counter-argument against the Grumman TBF doing almost anything the Helldiver could ... but better.
New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: Infinity Models (by HPH)
« Last post by The Big Gimper on Today at 08:01:12 AM »

Anyone grow up near one of the battery sites?

Nike LA-40 Launcher

Date Activated: 1956
Date Deactivated: 1963

State: California
Nearest Town: Long Beach Airport (East Spring Street & Clark Avenue now a parking lot)
Defense Area: Los Angeles

Coordinates:
Latitude: 3348'35.08"N
Longitude: 118 8'42.81"W
Decimal:
Latitude: 33.809744
Longitude: -118.145225
GPS:
Latitude: 33 48.5846666666667
Longitude: -118 8.7135

Visited it on a Saturday in 1962 part of Cub Scout group, late baby brother (1955-2016) broke loose, ran towards rocket fueling restricted area, wrestled him to ground, battery closed around when we'd moved from Lakewood, CA 1963.
 ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10