Author Topic: Heinkel He 46G - Spanish Civil War  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Heinkel He 46G - Spanish Civil War
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
It's been about two years since I touched this profile, so I can't blame anyone that doesn't remember this one, but--like the Prodigal Son--I've returned to the Heinkel He 46G to finish off a profile.  My father did the line art for this one a couple of years ago, then I did the lighting and shading of it.  Here's a link to the original post on it:

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=144.msg6425#msg6425

Anyway, when I was looking at the various files on my hard drive that I needed to reopen and polish off, I found this one, basically 99% done.  I redid a lot of the weathering, but that was about all that I had to do.

Finished in the standard scheme of the greens of 70/71 over blue 65 under surfaces with early style Balkenkreuz and the swastika applied across the rudder/fin hinge line, Heinkel He 46G, P2+HM of the 4.(H)/21 is seen here as it looked at Gross-Lassewitz on 1 September, 1939.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:46:23 PM by Logan Hartke »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Heinkel He 46G - Like Father, Like Son
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
How about a floatplane or carrier based version?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
Sorry, Greg, the He 46 has about all the airframe modifications it's going to get.  Those are very difficult to do and we would all rather I put that time into a different aircraft type  (see the last sentence at the link, especially).  You may see new coats of paint on it, but that's likely it.

On top of all that, there's no call for either.  The He 46 didn't have the power for floats and Heinkel had the far superior He 60 for that role, anyway.  As for a carrier derivative, by the time the Germans would've have had a carrier that needed such a plane, far better options would've existed (such as the fantastic Fieseler Fi 167).

Let's be honest, here, the He 46 was not a great airplane.  It was ok.  It would have benefited from more power in this fictional "He 46G" form, but--in the end--you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Some more countries might have bought them, and I could well depict those eventually, but anything more than a better engine wouldn't have been worth the time and effort back in 1935, to say nothing of today.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:59:40 AM »
That's especially nice. The splinter pattern on fabric is superbly done!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:02:41 AM »
Your father gave you a good starting point with some great line art there, Logan, & you've done it justice (again).

I can see where Greg is coming from but I, also, know your What-If ethos & understand you not wanting to go down that path.

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Heinkel He 46G - Spanish Civil War
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »
Thanks, guys!  I appreciate the compliments!  It's been good to get back at this one.

This is another that I had started, but didn't get very far with.  I just moved on to the next aircraft and didn't finish the profile.

It depicts an aircraft operated by the Nationalist Air Force during the Spanish Civil War.  I know the St. Andrew's Cross on the tail looks off, but that's the way a number of aircraft looked in photos.  I think they painted it so that it looked roughly level when on the ground, but they clearly eyeballed it, whatever they did.  I hope you all like it!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Heinkel He 46G - Spanish Civil War
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »
Looks great. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.