Author Topic: Lockheed C-130 Hercules  (Read 76146 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Lockheed C-130 Hercules
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:34:40 AM »
According to a recent AINon-line.com report, the C-130XJ (X = Expandable) is Lockheed's response to the C-27 Spartan.  Click on html to view article, click on thumbnail to view larger image of the conceptual artwork. 

(Image source: AINon-line.com)

Apparently the AINon-line informatoin was derived from this From Lockheed Martin announcement:
(Source: http://lockheedmartin.tumblr.com/page/3)

Lockheed Martin launches new lower cost version of the proven C-130J Super Hercules

The Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules is the most advanced airlifter ever built. The C‑130J combines the latest in aerospace technology with a proven, rugged airframe design.  The result is an aircraft that gives an operator more capability with greater operational efficiency than any other airlifter.

To meet the demands of the new economic environment, while still providing unmatched tactical airlift capability, Lockheed Martin has launched at the Singapore Airshow the C-130XJ.  The C‑130XJ, X referring to expandable, has at its heart the proven and highly successful C-130J program.

The C-130XJ is being offered across international markets to those operators that do not require all of enhanced capabilities inherent in C-130J.  As such, it will have a significantly lower price.  Despite this it will have growth capability, post delivery, in many mission areas.  The only exception will be those items that have to be part of the initial build such as the Enhanced Cargo Handling System.

The C-130XJ will be especially attractive in two main areas - the special mission market that utilize roll on/roll off mission packages and those countries or operators that primarily use their airlift aircraft for low threat air/land movement of troops and equipment

The C-130XJ has been carefully tailored to provide the very best the proven C-130J model has to offer in air/land movement of personnel and equipment and delivery of humanitarian relief and aero medical evacuation.  The C-130XJ retains all the provisions necessary to fully configure the aircraft for combat operations should the need arise.

The C-130XJ retains the current C-130J propulsion and avionics suite, and there are no changes to the current C-130J airframe design.  The primary airframe focus is on the short body C-130J, but the XJ solution could be offered for the C-130J-30 stretch version if requested.

The C-130XJ will be have the capability to fly the same full spectrum of missions that the C-130 has always flown  which includes compatibility with a wide range of roll-on/roll-off special mission packages that enable the aircraft to perform search and rescue, fire fighting, surveillance and reconnaissance, signals intelligence and close air support missions.

The C-130XJ design is established and is already generating interest and requests from around the world.

Other related links:

Wikipedia - Lockheed C-130
USAF Fact Sheet - C-130 Hercules
US Navy fact file - C-130 Hercules
C-130Hercules.net - C-130 images and forum
USAF Air Mobility Command Museum - C-130 Hercules
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:43:27 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Re: Lockheed C-130 Hercules
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »
Yanno, I really need to just slap Warp pods onto a herk and call it a day. That plane is never going to retire.

Alvis 3.1

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:41:36 AM »
Nice. Canada will be looking for a new SAR bird. Makes for ease of maintenance and one-stop shopping for the flight crew.

The KC-390 is quite cool too:

http://www.jrlucariny.com/Site2008/embkc390/embkc390.html
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?199814-Embraer-s-KC390-to-fly-in-2014
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 12:45:11 AM »
One of my favorite C-130 images is this November 1963 image showing a USMC KC-130F aboard the USS Forrestal (CV-59) for compatibility testing for the proposed Super COD aircraft. 

Click thumbnail to view larger image.

(Image source: Wikipedia via US Navy)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 05:10:02 AM »
I think this pic is really cool too:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 05:12:43 AM »
Not so sure about the bit about "...Lockheed's response to the C-27 Spartan".  After all, originally (after the joint Lockheed Martin Alenia Tactical Transport Systems (LMATTS) partnership ended), Lockheed offered the basic C-130J for the same role.  Also given that one of the reasons for the recent USAF C-27J cancellation was that the C-130Js were already being used in that tactical transport role, there would be no need to develop a whole new response.  Rather, this is more Lockheed Martin squeezing more possible sales out of the old girl...especially for possible customers that don.t want to (or can't afford) new build C-130Js...not that that is a problem.

Similarly, the SC-130J is nothing new - I remember being briefed on this concept by Lockheed Martin back in the '90s when I was with P-3s in the RAAF (this was pre- P-8/BAMMS etc).  I am sure it was also mooted with earlier variants too.

Anyway, not that any of that really matters.  What is interesting (to me at least) is the new tail fin and winglets and nose proposed for the C-130NG announced at the same time as this.  Makes for a bit more of a modelling challenge if one is going for total accuracy.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:10 AM »
Not so sure about the bit about "...Lockheed's response to the C-27 Spartan".  After all, originally (after the joint Lockheed Martin Alenia Tactical Transport Systems (LMATTS) partnership ended), Lockheed offered the basic C-130J for the same role.  Also given that one of the reasons for the recent USAF C-27J cancellation was that the C-130Js were already being used in that tactical transport role, there would be no need to develop a whole new response.  Rather, this is more Lockheed Martin squeezing more possible sales out of the old girl...especially for possible customers that don.t want to (or can't afford) new build C-130Js...not that that is a problem.

Similarly, the SC-130J is nothing new - I remember being briefed on this concept by Lockheed Martin back in the '90s when I was with P-3s in the RAAF (this was pre- P-8/BAMMS etc).  I am sure it was also mooted with earlier variants too.

Anyway, not that any of that really matters.  What is interesting (to me at least) is the new tail fin and winglets and nose proposed for the C-130NG announced at the same time as this.  Makes for a bit more of a modelling challenge if one is going for total accuracy.

I suppose I could have commented that it was Lockheeds "alternative" to the C-27 Spartan.  Either way, they are certainly trying to get some more sales out of the design.  Not that this is not a good thing, the Hercules design is practical and with the exception of the internal dimensions limiting the size of certain vehicles and loads it has done an excellent job so far at hauling things around the world. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:26:34 AM »
Well on the fuselage side, LM did propose the C-130XL a while back featuring a larger fuselage:

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I got this from somewhere ---

What's interesting for me is that the standard C-130 has a hold width of 119.5", when I designed some drilling equipment which was mounted on a trailer, I was told to keep everything inside 120".  Half an inch difference I know, but that's what I was given to work on.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:03:29 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 04:35:45 AM »
Some more real world C-130 proposals:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
My rough jet C-130:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 06:22:01 PM »
In 2009, the USAF (later followed my other Air Forces), decided that using manned crews for transport aircraft was a waste - the missions were fairly straight forward (Take off - Fly - Land) and highly trained crews could be better used elsewhere.  Most transport aircraft such as the existing C-17s etc were converted to be optionally manned.  The most radical change though was the QC-130H - these were already being refurbished so it was decided to save further weight by removing the unnecessary cockpit:

Regards,

Greg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 03:23:41 AM »
A plan for someday:  A STOVL/ESTOL C-130 based on a similar arrangement to that originally planned for the G.222:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
Cool C-130 concepts.  Looks totally legitimate/normal with jets.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »
How about an even smaller version of the L-400 proposal? That would've given Lockheed a competitor to the Alenia G.222/C-27A.

BTW: In the modified Flight cutaway, I've made the L-400's new centre section narrower, and joined front and rear fuselage barrels with that centre section plonked on top. She'd have more tail than needed but I decided to leave those standard Herc surfaces for simplicity.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:31:37 AM by apophenia »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »
Cute...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 10:21:51 AM »
My rough jet C-130:

Not that far off from a vstol C-130 proposal Lockheed showed in drawing form on their stand at the 1972 Turin airshow, it had four Pegasus engines like that.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:44 PM »
My rough jet C-130:

Not that far off from a vstol C-130 proposal Lockheed showed in drawing form on their stand at the 1972 Turin airshow, it had four Pegasus engines like that.

Now that's interesting to know Evan ----- did it have just a single hot nozzle or did it it look like this below
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:52:53 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »
As best I can remember (we are talking about 40 years ago, this coming summer) it was like the AW.681 and Do.31 with four nozzles each.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
Now this is very coincidental, look what appeared on 'the other forum'   -- under the title 'Jet C-130'

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
another pic

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 05:53:48 PM »
Cool.  Who did it?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »
I'm not sure who built it but it appeared on the table at the Perth show (I'm assuming that's the one in the UK too -----  ;D )

Offline Chris

• An old friend and connoisseur of whiffing...
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »
It was at the Scottish Nationals in Perth but I don't think (might be wrong) it was on the S.I.G. table.

I can enquire if people want to know

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »
It was on one of the SIG tables if following the notes people left on the thread.  I've left a message on the thread to see if anyone knows, but I was told Martin H is the one who would know.