Author Topic: The Curtiss YP-36HR (Hot Rod) - the Kapoc Crisis in 1/72 scale  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Curtiss YP-36HR (Hot Rod) - the Kapoc Crisis in 1/72 scale
« on: October 02, 2016, 11:01:19 PM »

The U.S. Army Air Corps was very impressed with the P-36 but always sought improvement. In 1938, Curtiss strengthened the forward air frame and engine mountings to accept the more powerful Wright XR-1536 Cyclops engine of 1,536 h.p. A re-designed propeller with an incredibly streamlined spinner was also added along with a more aerodynamic canopy.

The wicked fast look and increase in horsepower led ground crew to refer to the prototype pursuit as the Hot Rod and thus the Curtiss YP-36HR (Hot Rod) was born.

The Air Corps ordered a service test squadron almost right off the drawing board but there would be problems beyond the typical gremlins of a new prototype. At the center of this would be one government contractor that monopolized the U.S. lacquer market.

At the time, all U.S. Army Air Corps aircraft wore a coat of clear lacquer over the natural metal. These shiny aerial weapons of war became an icon of the age. The lacquered finish wasn't just to enhance the marshal appearance, but was key in protecting the aircraft from severe corrosion common under field conditions.

Unfortunately in 1938 just as the order for the service test squadron of YP-38 Hot Rods was being finalized, the harvest of kapoc, a key component in lacquers of the time, was far below expectations.

As one can imagine, this was not well received by either the Air Corps or the head of Lacklustre Lacquers.

Initially, Lacklustre attempted re-formulating their lacquer recipe and various substitutes for critical kapoc were tried, with varying disastrous results. One failure using the new synthetic crapoc caused the air frame to disintegrate only a week after being exposed to heavy rain.

Far from protecting the aircraft, ersatz kapoc-based lacquers tended to only hasten their demise.

The Air Corps had a crisis on its hands and an answer had to be found and fast before their fleet of aircraft all corroded away.

In a rare moment of clarity, the Air Corps board decided if it's good enough for the Navy, then it's good enough for us and ordered that Naval Aircraft Gray (now more commonly known as Haze Gray FS 220998) be used instead.

Along with all other Air Corps' aircraft, the service-test squadron of YP-36HRs was painted with the new finish.

As Naval Aircraft Gray was created to protect U.S. Navy aircraft from the rigors of life at sea, the Air Corps found it also offered excellent protection from the elements under even the most extreme conditions.

In the field, squadrons would often embellish things under the guise of "enhanced corrosion control measures" by adding their own unique color schemes on top of the mandated Naval Aircraft Gray.

This aircraft from the 43rd Pursuit Squadron on detached service based outside of Luckenbach, Texas is a fine example of the "New Look" Air Corps of the late 1930s.

The fact that the 43rd provided air defense for the Lukenbach metropolitan area for over three years and not one enemy air attack was recorded during that time is a glowing reflection on the capabilities of both the Curtiss YP-36HR and Naval Aircraft Gray (FS 220998).

The exigencies of gathering war clouds would necessitate a change to Olive Drab in 1941, but for a brief time, Curtiss YP-36HR Hot Rods coated in Naval Aircraft Gray were a common sight in the skies over Texas.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:56:32 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Curtiss YP-36HR (Hot Rod) - the Kapoc Crisis in 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »
This all began with the classic 1/72 Monogram Curtiss P-36. Your boxing may vary.

While toying around with different parts, I discovered that a cast-off canopy from a Testors Dauntless was a pretty good fit after a little surgery.

A canopy this fast looking needed a prop to match, so the tip of a really small bomb was grafted on as a spinner.

I know it looks rough now, but I think it all worked out in the end.

The model was painted with the tried-and-true hairy stick and acrylics, Polly Scale Undercoat Gray mostly. Model Masters Gloss White Primer and Flat Black were used on the nose and the prop was done in Model Masters Aluminum.

The canopy was rough and snapped again on me after being cut, so I had little choice but to tint it on the outside using Testors Prussian Blue and a lot of Liquitex Acrylic Gloss Artist's medium.

Decals were a mix from the kit (dated 1977) along with wing walks and those neat little diamonds on the cowling from a sheet from Starfighter.

Those interesting 43rd squadron Hornet insignia are from a 1/48 scale sheet once again by Starfighter. I was very pleased how well they fit.

I had a lot of fun on this model which took me a week to build. I finished it almost a month ago but have only been able to carve out time now to share it. I hope you enjoyed the story of the YP-36 Hot Rod during the Kapoc Crisis and reading a little more forgotten history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:03:45 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 01:58:58 AM »
That's an elegant looking plane! I really like the white cowling with the black anti-glare stripe.

We have a young kapoc tree in our courtyard and every Spring it generates one or two giant pods that split open into "silk floss" or kapoc (what they used to use in life savers or flotation jackets). Unfortunately, the seed pods have been just out of reach.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 02:08:25 AM »
with an incredibly streamlined spinner
yes, good improvement! ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:34:21 AM »
Another lovely Curtiss Hawk. 

Your extended propeller spinner could be an aero-spike extension to improve performance of your Hawk at very high speeds.  That would be a feature way ahead might be ahead of it's time.  Similar features are used on high performance missile systems to place the shock wave further ahead of the vehicle in order to improve air flow at high speeds.  :)

Great back story as usual.  You may have a future as a writer of Alt-History war stories.  :)

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
Beautiful model and a fun backstory; I quite applaud both.  I'm certain there was a detachment protecting Knickerbocker, TX, too, probably operating out of Mathis Field in San Angelo.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
Interesting chain of events behind Air Corps switching to Navy paint.  Lacklustre's monopoly, crop failure and such.  Not kind of thing that makes it into aviation history books.
Good research !
Appreciate you enlightening all of us.
Had not seen extended spinner picture, but have not delved into P-36 history like you do.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:39:06 PM »
As good as the models are (and they're very good), the backstories are even better.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 12:34:52 PM »
Very cool  8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
Nice one