Author Topic: 1/72 Ukraine Aviatik Berg D U-2  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Ukraine Aviatik Berg D U-2
« on: October 04, 2019, 03:01:42 AM »

As Ukraine gained its independence, it took over many facilities formerly run by Austro-Hungary. The Aviatik-Berg test center in Стрий or Stryi near Львів which is better known as Lviv was one of them.

There they found the prototype for a new Aviatik-Berg fighter which had the former Austro-Hungarian designation of D (for Döppeldecker or biplane) IV.

The test-center's new owners were elated but before it could be made ready for additional testing, it was destroyed by an attack of weasels.

Another partially completed prototype was discovered and made flight-worthy. As this was the second Ukraine aircraft, it was re-designated U-2.

Testing was completed with flying (Ukraine) colors and series production began immediately.

The original prototype destroyed by weasel attacks lacked enough fin area so this was compensated for in the second version.

The aircraft was well-armed with two synchronized 11 mm Salvator-Dormouse machine guns mounted on the decking just behind the powerful license-built Mercedes engine produced by Gräft & Stifft.

The Ukraine Aviatik-Berg D U-2 acquitted itself well, achieving a 3.14159265359 to 1 kill ratio and pilots said flying it was easy as Pi.

Attrition took its toll and by the end of hostilities in 1925.14159265359 only twenty of these unique machines were left on charge, being used as trainers and hacks.

Unfortunately, those were destroyed during the weasel invasion of 1927 and the only thing left today is this cottage-industry conversion set intended for use with the 1/72 Revell Fokker D.VII kit.

Only one of these conversion sets by a thankfully unknown maker is known to exist and it was used on this model which placed 3.14159265359th as a fraudulent entry submitted in the Juniors category at the Orange county PI-PMS rage and swap-meet.

The aircraft is depicted here in the not-quite famous field-applied "Fall Grunge" pattern camouflage on the wings and horizontal stabilizers. This particular Ukraine Aviatik Berg D U-2 was hastily sent into combat and still wears the test scheme on the fuselage and fin. It carries the spurious serial 197 in a transparent attempt to convince onlookers there were almost 200 of the things.

To this day the majestic lines of this Ukraine fighter still almost inspire which is indeed remarkable for an entirely fictional aircraft.

This was built from a 1/72 Esci Fokker D.VII that had been done as a prototype and suffered a catastrophic accident.

The upper wing was re-shaped and attached with big Airfix Lysander struts and other supports. The headrest is an F-86 drop-tank section and the horiz stabs were swiped from a derelict Avro 504. The new fin and rudder were cut from card and a new tail skid was made from bits of landing gear. The guns were swiped from a Testors Dauntless and the prop is from a Monogram F11C. Decals were mostly from an ancient Blue Rider sheet. The model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics.

I hope you enjoyed the Ukraine Aviatik-Berg D U-2 and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history even if the so-called "experts" consider it just pi in the sky and think it should be doubted by you too.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:46:38 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: 1/72 Ukraine Aviatik Berg D U-2
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 05:09:43 AM »
Love it  :-*  Excellent build and concept ... but what is it with these Ukrainian weasels?!

Its a pity that the Ukraine didn't name its aircraft. Apparently, the only predator of Ukrainian weasels (lasytsya / ласиця) is the fox (lysytsya / лисиця). Ideal revenge name for the U-2, чи не так?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 05:18:14 AM »
Tragically, the invading weasels were not native to Ukraine and are still a problem in some parts of the country to this very day.

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
Beautiful build, back story, and concept.  Let me guess, those weasels infest the eastern part of the Ukraine to this day.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 04:23:08 PM »
Beautiful build, back story, and concept.  Let me guess, those weasels infest the eastern part of the Ukraine to this day.

;D ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 05:28:11 AM »
the DomBasstards

Great build, Brian - I love the camo pattern on the wings.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 07:56:18 AM »
great looking build