Author Topic: Airfix 1/72 Spitfire  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Airfix 1/72 Spitfire
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »
HI guys

This was given to me by my sister at Christmas. I've never built a Spitfire before - despite having the Tamiya 1/32 in the que, so it'll be considered practice for the big one :) I quite enjoyed it but the lack of detail is quite telling. I'm not complaining though - it still looks like a Spitfire to me

It's completely out of the box, so if there are any shape issues or what have you - it's not my fault :)

Painted using Tamiya acrylics and weathered using  MIG pigments and the Tamiya weathering sets

Painted using Tamiya acrylics and weathered using  MIG pigments and the Tamiya weathering sets

I couldn't resist a size comparison to an A400 of equal scale

As you can see, I had trouble settling down the right side wing decal, but I am about to drop some more decal softener onto it to see if that makes a difference

Now, I know that isn't a WIF, but wait to you see what I have in mind for my one-day-upcoming 1/48 ME109 and P-51! I think you guys will really like it - provided I do a good job on them...
Thanks for looking
MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Airfix 1/72 Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
If that's the Airfix 02046-2 Mk.Vb kit, it's from 1975, hence the "lack of detail", it's still a good kit as you've just found out 8) Nicely produced build, well done!! :D :D

I wouldn't bother with decal softener as it's not designed to fix the 'silvering' prob. It is usually cured after paint, by a gloss varnish coat first, then apply decals, and when fully dried gloss coated to seal the decals in.
Then you weather and finally seal the lot with whatever varnish the final finish should be. There are variations dependant on finish required, but not a lot of difference.

"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
It is indeed - I just looked at the box. I didn't know it was old as me. Might explain a few things.....
Oddly enough though - the decal softener seems to have worked somewhat - much to my surprise. After you wrote that, I wasn't expecting it to, but it has. I'm happy! :)
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:31:55 PM »
:D Great comparison! I am going to make a Spitfire Mk.400 photoshoping (with my Corel Photopaint 6 software) your photograph (I am not sure I will succeed). ???

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 06:46:11 PM »
Yes, after the relative failure of the Spitfire Mk.398 & 399, the Spitfire Mk.400 reached a tremendous success:

May I show the Twin-Spitfire Mk.800? (if I success for this other one...) :icon_fsm: :icon_music:

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 06:46:56 PM »
Old school neato !

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »
May I show the Twin-Spitfire Mk.800? (if I success for this other one...) :icon_fsm: :icon_music:

Oooh yeah baby, gotta see that one  :)

This was given to me by my sister at Christmas. I've never built a Spitfire before ... It's completely out of the box, so if there are any shape issues or what have you - it's not my fault :) ... Painted using Tamiya acrylics and weathered using  MIG pigments and the Tamiya weathering sets ... Now, I know that isn't a WIF, but wait to you see what I have in mind for my one-day-upcoming 1/48 ME109 and P-51! I think you guys will really like it - provided I do a good job on them...

Nice, clean looking build Madhatter. Always kudos for doing a good job on an old Airfix moulding.

So what exactly DO youhave in mind for the Me109 and P51  ???
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 12:44:39 AM »
Very nice build, MH! :)

Great comparison! ;D

Remember: We're not just a whif site - we accept all sorts (especially licorice ;) ).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:46:22 AM »
The A400 makes the Spit look like a Pitts, Pitts Special that is!!!
Those older kits can build up nicely. Much lower cost too.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 01:57:24 AM »

Nice job  :)  Love the size comparison, I've got a couple of those A400M's in the stash too (plus about 50 Spitfires),

but as an aside,  how about this comparison -- all are 1/72

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 02:31:34 AM »

Oooh yeah baby, gotta see that one  :)

Here is she: Supermarine Twin-Spitfire Mk.800: (there was no Mk.799 at all)

Thanks Madhatter to have enriched the glorious Spitfire family so much... ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 03:10:10 AM »
Nice work.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:43:02 AM »
That's one gorgeous Spitfire! I don't think I've ever seen that famous RAF camo done better!

Looking forward to seeing its big brother in 1/32!

Brian da Basher