Author Topic: Canadair CL-44 Yukon & CP-107 Argus  (Read 14109 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Canadair CL-44 Yukon & CP-107 Argus
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:51:35 AM »
Thought I'd start a thread on these as I've got a couple of upcoming projects.

Anyone know where I can find some photos of the weapons bay for the CP-107, photos of operational aircraft while at rest seem to show it with the weapons bay doors down.  So the insides would be visible I think.  I'm thinking of copying the Breguet Atlantic bays as this aircraft has some similar features, the bays for one, engine nacelles and the windshield seems to look a little like a Yukon or Britannia.  I might even copy the cockpit too --

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Canadair CL-44 Yukon & CP-107 Argus
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:47:29 AM »
Links to Argus and Yukon on-line:

Wikipedia - Canadair CL-44 (CC-106) Yukon
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Canadian Wings - Canadair CC-106 Yukon
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The Canadair CL-44 Yukon Archives and Preservation Trust

Wikipedia - Canadair CL-28 (CP-107) Argus

(click for larger 2,550px × 3,300px image) 
Canada Aviation and Space Museum - Canadair CP-107 Argus
Canadian Wings - Canadair CP-107 Argus
Canadair Argus Blog - Canadair CP-107 Argus Maritime Patrol Aircraft
Bert Campbell's cp107argusargus.com site
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:35:33 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:54:14 AM »
Thanks Jeff, couple of links there I've not seen before. No weapons bay pics though.  I've written an email to the Canadian Airforce Museum too, just to see if they can help.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:42:32 AM »
If you can wait a week until I get home, I have a copy of the below book and get check for you:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:51:42 AM »
Robert, I found this image of the CP-107 Argus in flight: Toronto waterfront 1964 CNE airshow - RCAF CP-107 Argus with ordnance.

Looking at the image I get the impression that the layout of the weapons bays is not much different from the Breguet Atlantic which is also blessed with a very long weapons bay fore and aft of the wing spars.  The Revell Atlantic kit might be a good source for some of the parts you need if you are going to build a weapons bay for your Argus. 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:54:31 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
Robert: Why didn't you ask this question in 1980? I was posted to CFB Comox and at the time and we shared  7 hanger with 407 SQN. I only had to walk through the breezeway and take some then clandestine pictures.  I could have also gotten some pictures of those "special" depth charges.

Oh, yeah I forgot, there was no internet. And no 1/72 Argooses.

;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:27:46 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
And there's another book to add to the to-get list...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:33:38 AM »
Robert: Why didn't you ask this question in 1980? I was posted to CFB Comox and at the time and we shared  7 hanger with 407 SQN. I only had to walk through the breezeway and take some then clandestine pictures.  I could have also gotten some pictures of those "special" depth charges.

;)

And of course, no "special" depth charges!  ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »
Mk 101s and B57s.

By 1963 33 Argooses were modified to carry nukes.  I can scan an image of the weapons panel. It has the selectors for the 101 and 57.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 02:17:03 AM »
Robert, I found this image of the CP-107 Argus in flight: Toronto waterfront 1964 CNE airshow - RCAF CP-107 Argus with ordnance.

Looking at the image I get the impression that the layout of the weapons bays is not much different from the Breguet Atlantic which is also blessed with a very long weapons bay fore and aft of the wing spars.  The Revell Atlantic kit might be a good source for some of the parts you need if you are going to build a weapons bay for your Argus.
+

Great stuff Jeff, that will work.  And regarding the Revell Atlantic -- exactly my thoughts.  I've got one in the stash and I've been matching parts.  The nacelles on the Atlantic are very close to what the CL-44 Yukons had too, just need to fill in some of the NACA inlets and add another scoop on top of each nacelle.  The only problem with the Atlantic kit is how you have to assemble the nacelle, some of the top is moulded into the top half of the wing, same with the bottom.  But you then have the nacelles sides to attach after some internal stuff is assembled.  I'm will have to be careful with what I assemble because things have to be glued together so I can make a casting of it and they won't come apart once it is glued together.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 02:18:32 AM »

;)

Bummer !!!!

If you can wait a week until I get home, I have a copy of the below book and get check for you:

No worries ----  and I think I'll track down this book too --

I have this book though
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:23:37 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 05:41:41 AM »

+

Great stuff Jeff, that will work.  And regarding the Revell Atlantic -- exactly my thoughts.  I've got one in the stash and I've been matching parts.  The nacelles on the Atlantic are very close to what the CL-44 Yukons had too, just need to fill in some of the NACA inlets and add another scoop on top of each nacelle.  The only problem with the Atlantic kit is how you have to assemble the nacelle, some of the top is moulded into the top half of the wing, same with the bottom.  But you then have the nacelles sides to attach after some internal stuff is assembled.  I'm will have to be careful with what I assemble because things have to be glued together so I can make a casting of it and they won't come apart once it is glued together.

I've had a re-assessment of what I was hoping to do, the Atlantic is not the way to go.  At least that's the fuselage internals of the Atlantic ---- much smaller than the Argus.  The fuselage diameter of the Argus (like the Yukon and Britannia) is 12'-6", the Atlantic is only 9'-6".  But I could probably scale the parts up and then I'll have something like what I need as I need an Atlantic kit that's about 1/60 scale if I want to use parts from it.  But there's no such animal ---

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 04:59:15 AM »
A Flight cutaway of the swing-tail CL-44D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 01:03:55 AM »
Anyone know where I can find some photos of the weapons bay for the CP-107

Found a few here. I could dig up some cockpit ones whe you are ready as well. Hmm, flickr is giving me some grief right now. Will try again later.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 01:15:52 AM »
Anyone know where I can find some photos of the weapons bay for the CP-107

Found a few here. I could dig up some cockpit ones whe you are ready as well. Hmm, flickr is giving me some grief right now. Will try again later.

Thanks Gingie, although flickr isn't my favorite 'go-to' site.  Keep getting a big 'Hey! Wait a Minute' message everytime I try to open pics there ---

Are you having the same problem Harald (weaver) is having?

Offline Gingie

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 02:10:36 AM »
I can direct link them, but I'm at work now, and DND uses a non-compatible browser. I'll hard post them here when I get home.

Found an interesting one of a CP-107 outfitted with Bullpup missiles, one under each outer wing!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 06:11:08 AM »
I can direct link them, but I'm at work now, and DND uses a non-compatible browser.

Is your browser Mosaic;D

Offline Gingie

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 06:35:10 AM »
Here we go:

And the Bullpup photos:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
Very Nice photos.  Thanks for sharing Graeme.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
I note the culture change in the weapon loading pics....

In the top two it seems that forage caps are quite adequate to stop banging their heads but in the lower one it seems Health and Safety has taken over and crash hats are the order of the day!  :)
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »
Bottom one looks like civilian techs to me, notice the other bloke in the blue dust coat in the top right hand corner.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
Very nice pics Graeme, I notice that the smaller torpedos are stacked --interesting.  What would be the dimensions of the big ones ?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
I can direct link them, but I'm at work now, and DND uses a non-compatible browser.

Is your browser Mosaic;D

Nowt wrong with Mosiac.  I used to use it for quite a few years.  Could be worse, could be Lynx;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:30:14 PM by Rickshaw »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 09:15:33 PM »
Al (alvis) has sent me a pic of the Execuform kit, it looks like it only has the small nose radome the later CP-107 Mk.II's had which is the same as the Santos kit I have.  If I wanted to build a MK.I version, what would be a good radome to use, like an Avenger's or Gannet's ?