Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

The Utter Aviation Randomness of Sentinel Chicken

(1/22) > >>

Sentinel Chicken:
I thought I'd start a thread here in this section where I'll put my profile art (and repost past stuff as well). But let's start off with a sneak peek at something real world I'm real proud of:

I have a love for military adaptations of commercial jets and yes, I know that the KC-135 family isn't an adaptation of a commercial jet as it has its own design lineage, but it's close enough for me and growing up near an ANG tanker base, the take offs of KC-135As and KC-135Es was the closest I was going to living the glory that was the Boeing 707 and 720.

This sneak preview is of a print that's been two and a half years in the making. And it will be showing the RC-135V/W Rivet Joint in its latest configuration in terms of antenna placement and modifications. How accurate? I've had the distinct pleasure of having the help of engineers at L-3 who are doing the actual upgrade work on the Rivet Joint fleet. With the cooperation of the USAF,  they have been an incredible resource on latest Rivet Joint configuration.

This will also be the start of a whole series of prints that focus on the KC-135 family of aircraft.

I've already done the E-6A/B Mercury as well as SAM 26000 and have plans for more aircraft in this family. Things like the E-3 Sentry, the RAAF Wedgetail, the P-8A Poseidon, the KC-10 Extender, and so on. But the Rivet Joint and the RC-135 family of aircraft like Rivet Amber, Cobra Ball, Cobra Eye, Rivet Brass, and more. All the lumps, bumps, fairings, ports and antennas, they're such unique aircraft that I've always liked for their highly specialized functions and how they're constantly being upgraded and modified to keep up with modern threats.

On each side will be the tails of the rest of the Rivet Joint fleet. The main image will be the first RC-135V/W upgraded to the latest system standard, called Baseline 9. Each successive ELINT/systems upgrade to the Rivet Joint fleet were called "Baseline". Most artwork that I've seen of the Rivet Joint depicts them in Baseline 7 or Baseline 7.5 configuration. I'll post an image of the whole print soon.

Next on the docks in this series will be the RC-135U Combat Sent which is also getting upgraded at L-3's facility at Majors Field in Greenville, Texas. There are only two in the USAF fleet.

Sentinel Chicken:
This was a set of three Q400s I did-

Northwest or its regional partners never operated the Q400, but it's my damn reality ;)

Sentinel Chicken:

Here's one I always wanted to see after reading about United Express's BAe-146s having better engine out margins out of high mountain airports like Aspen compared to their twin engined replacements. For Frontier, they called their CV-580s the "Mountain Master", suppose the 146 becomes their new "Mountain Master"?

BadersBusCompany:
As ever stunning profiles :-[

Empty Handed:

--- Quote from: BadersBusCompany on December 16, 2011, 05:30:50 AM ---As ever stunning profiles

--- End quote ---

Indeed! The Rivet Joint is spectacular!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version