Author Topic: Flygvapnet P-80, interned  (Read 2415 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Flygvapnet P-80, interned
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
01 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The war in Europe was definitely winding down in 1946, with Germany fighting desperately to keep the Allies from its borders. If not for the 1944 rebellion in the Soviet Union allowing them to forget about the Eastern Front, they would have lost at least a year earlier.

The early jets that were in the air forces of all combatants had proven themselves many times over, with Germany having a slight lead in technology that was hampered by their steadily reducing manufacturing ability. The American P-80 was arriving in ever greater numbers, and was now the primary front-line fighter. Most were painted in a wartime scheme of olive drab upperside with light grey underside, a simple and effective camouflage.

02 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

On a patrol out of Leeuwarden Air Base in The Netherlands, 5 P-80s were looking for Luftwaffe transport aircraft travelling to and from Norway, still mostly under Nazi occupation. Over the Baltic north of the Danish island of Bornhom, they encountered a couple of elderly Ju-52s still soldiering on after many years of service. The transports immediately turned north-northeast, and led the Americans into a trap. Racing in from, further east was a large group of Me-262s , and a fierce fight ensued. Three P-80s were downed, and half a dozen German machines, but one American pilot pressed home his attack on the transports in all the confusion. He managed to shoot both down, but had lost sight of the rest of his patrol. Low on fuel, he elected to head for the only land he could see, and landed safely, with almost empty tanks, in a farm field in neutral Sweden.

03 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The Swedish government impounded the aircraft and turned it over to the Flygvapnet for their perusal. The pilot was repatriated, but the aircraft stayed behind. National insignia and any identifying marking were quickly painted over with a poorly matching paint, and Swedish markings applied. As it was the only one of its type in service, it was given a simple code number of ‘1’. Until the end of the war in Europe it was used as a squadron hack, and parts were supplied through legitimate channels by Lockheed. Returned to the USAAF in early 1947, it was declared unserviceable and sent to a maintenance school.

04 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

05 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Flygvapnet P-80, interned
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 01:38:21 PM »
Excellent work and back story Senor' Rat! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 01:43:38 PM »
I highly agree with my esteemed colleague.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »
I highly agree with my esteemed colleague.
And I highly agree with two esteemed colleagues.
Cover-up paint scheme-story works well.  :smiley:
Model gives me flash back to tree top or lower encounter with F-80 as a kid on flat desert.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
Great job on the build & the cover story works nicely. 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »
Great job Dave! The P-80 is one of my favourites.  Airfix kit?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 12:29:31 AM »
Great job Dave! The P-80 is one of my favourites.  Airfix kit?

Yep, and it's not bad. Major problem, in my opinion, is the overly thick gear doors. I know that in 1/72nd it isn't easy to get thin moldings, but I think they could have done better.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 02:15:37 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »
Noice!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 12:46:12 AM »
O golly, I built one of those back in High School, I think. Wonderful back story and presentation. The 'painted over ' markings are an excellent touch.