Author Topic: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line  (Read 27674 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2017, 02:53:50 AM »
Hi all which of these positions do you think looks best, straight ahead or at a jaunty angle.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2017, 03:31:23 AM »
Hi all well I've detailed up one of the ships boats (I suppose that means I will have to do the other one now)here's the before

Put the bathroom sealant on and started painting the tops of the waves

Loads more wave painting to do.
I've removed a couple of the guns to load the supplies into I understand they used some sort of pulley system from the spars to load the supplies with and I want to depict that has anyone got any detailed drawings of how this was achieved.

I've only used one of the port and starboard anchors, I'm hoping the other two are spares, I can't imagine they used all 4 anchors or am I wrong.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
Looking good
Damn straight it is.  Absolutely gorgeous work, there.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
Marvelous! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2017, 02:23:25 AM »
Hi all well I've finally finished painting the waved (That's a lot of water) not sure if it needs more colour, I'm trying for the dark brackish water of a harbour.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »
Water looks superb! :smiley: :smiley: :D

Don't over think it. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2017, 01:55:11 AM »

all well I've fixed the foremast and strengthened it with a rod up the middle, making it a waterline model had an unexpected problem to it the main mast locates in an I shaped piece which is glued to the bottom of the hull to keep the mast central and true since I cut the bottom of the hull off obviously that locating area was no longer there also the mast was a lot higher than it should have been, luckily I still had the bottom of the hull that I cut off so I put the mast in it laid a rule across the hull and marked where it cam on the mast and cut that piece off but the mast is tapered at the bottom and the holes through the decks must be the same size as when I put the mast in it Leaned either way so I had a cunning idea and wrapped masking tape round the bottom of the mast till it was a snug fit in the bottom hole ( only problem now is the mast seems to lean sternwards) so now I just have that problem to sort and of course to make sure it is square with the center line as well.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2018, 04:56:50 AM »
Hi all well I've got this back out as Gandale (Alan on another forum posted an easy way to do the stays on this) (That's what's been scaring me from continuing this build) baring in mind this is my first attempt at doing them I'm quite chuffed with the result (obviously I've seen them done millions of times better but hey I can only get better from now on) 

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2018, 03:37:23 AM »
Hi all got this out to do some work on it. There seems to be a problem with the cheap paint I used on the base (Not had this problem before) the base started off dk blue but over time it seemed to go brackish

Which I didn't mind too much as it just looks like dirty harbour water but worryingly it is doing this from the edges and seems to be progressing inward

Do you think this will progress, if so should I stripp it all off (assuming I can) then start again, any suggestions.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2018, 03:47:23 PM »
Is it the paint or is the silicone lifting off the base? ???

Both are an issue, I guess, but, if it's the paint, I'd try to remove the surface & re-paint with a better paint or, if it's the silicone lifting, I'd try to remove the silicone, ensure both surfaces (but especially the painted surface) are absolutely clean & dry, then try to re-affix the silicone surface with a layer of fresh silicone (or, as a last resort, re-do the entire water thing - which would be a huge pity, seeing as how good you got it the first time around).