Author Topic: EB-66F Desert Storm  (Read 7741 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
EB-66F Desert Storm
« on: May 23, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »
I now have a 1/72 Italeri/Testors B-66 Destroyer.  The plan is to update it to January 1991 with TF-33 engines (the original engines were the downfall of the B-66).  I will add various features of the EA-6A/B, F-4G and EF-111 to make a "Wild Badger" (like a wild weasel, only bigger!) version of the B-66.  It will be painted in two-tone gray ("Hill Gray" scheme), and carry WB codes. 

The only question is, will I even try to finish it in time for this GB?  Parts are on order and may take a while (especially the TF-33s).  Well, I'll get started and see how it develops. 

Can we have an extension, please?

Chuck     
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:13:47 PM by Acree »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: EB=66F Desert Storm
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
I'm interested in seeing this one come to be. 

I'll push your request for an extension up the chain of command with a positive endorsement.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 12:13:01 AM »
Make that two. I always wanted to make a modernized B-66. Where did you get the TF-33s? I think I still have the original Testors decals for their B-66.

Offline Acree

Re: EB-66F Desert Storm
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 03:17:46 AM »
Engines and Things makes resin TF-33s, and I ordered a pair from Roll Models.  Unfortunately, their canned order confirmation says "it usually takes 2-3 weeks for your order to be shipped," thus the need for an extension.  Even then I might not make it.  Fortunately, the engines can be about the last parts added. 

I always liked the B-66, too.  Until recently I didn't know much about it, especially why it didn't last in service nearly as long as the A-3.  With a re-engine, it could certainly have lasted until the EF-111 came along.  So that's the basis of my WHIF (although I'm keeping it in service even longer to participate in the first Gulf War).

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:14:05 PM by Acree »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 04:50:31 AM »
You know that there was a real world RB-66 with TF33s:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Acree

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 07:14:34 AM »
I did NOT know!  That looks kinda ugly to me.  Hope mine looks better than real life! Lol
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:14:20 PM by Acree »

Offline Acree

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »
Well, logistical difficulties and design challenges abound, but I press onward toward the goal...
I worked hard on the interior of the cockpit, only to discover that most of the detail will be invisible despite the large canopy.  I seriously considered making larger windows for the backseaters, but that would really be pretty unrealistic -  the USAF never saw the need for EWOs to see outside the airplane! Plus, I didn't want to add a fairly challenging task to my list.  At least I'll know that the cockpit looks pretty good! 

I discovered AFTER ordering my engines that they are just ENGINES, no cowlings!  So, I am crafting an alternative plan which I think will work pretty well, but I'll keep it a secret for now.  The main mods will be coming after I button up the two fuselage halves tonight (presuming I can find some lead sinkers).

Here's a couple shots of the interior which will soon be hidden...

Offline Acree

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:10:06 PM »
I've been making some progress on the Wild Badger B-66.  The fuselage is together, as are the wings.  I've started on some of the more major mods:

The air refueling receptacle swiped from an A-7D is affixed to the port mid-fuselage (first photo).

The under-fuselage electronics "canoe" is construction out of sundry pieces: specifically, part of the the transmission hump from a Hoplite helo is the forward section, sheet styrene reinforced with I-beams is the middle section, and part of an old toothbrush holder is the rear section.  The second photo shows the interior of the canoe before mounting, and the third photo shows the canoe in situ.

All that extra electronic gear needs cooling, so an additional airscoop is added to the upper fuselage.  It was a cast off from one of my jet P-51 projects.  It actually looks better in person than in the photo. 

I am also working on a "football" to be fin-mounted and the extended tailcone, but those are not photo-ready at the moment. 

More soon (I hope).

Chuck
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:14:34 PM by Acree »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »
Looks to be progressing well.  All the mods look good, I'll be waiting for the next update.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:36:57 AM »
B-66 kit is off to a promissing EB-66F career :)
Good mods.  Look forward to more pictures.

Offline Acree

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 12:07:04 PM »
Progress is slow right now.  My plan for creating the football and the extended tail cone involved high-density Styrofoam carved to shape and covered in putty.  It's a technique I've used before with some success, but this time, the putty ate the foam, leaving a misshapen, soft blob.  The foam eventually rehardens, but the shape is a mess.  I have found that if I paint the foam, then putty, the paint protects the foam until the putty hardens.  So, instead of PSR, it's PWPSR (paint, wait, putty, sand, repeat).  BUT the football and the tailcone are almost there.  I think only one or two more cycles of PWPSR!
I think this happened because I switched to Tamiya putty, which I actually like better than the Squadron putty I used to use, except for this one significant hiccup!

Anyway, I should have more photos soon.

Offline Acree

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
Just a teaser photo for tonight.  Canopy, wings and horizontal stabs are on; engine nacelle and landing gear are just pressed in place for photo.  Football and extended tailcone are (almost) ready for paint tomorrow.  Still working out engine details, so ignore that for now. 

Yes, I know the lighting is TERRIBLE, but it's just a teaser, really.  More soon!

Chuck

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 12:00:19 AM »
Sweet!

Offline Acree

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »
DONE!  I am extremely happy with how this turned out, despite all the setbacks and challenges.  At the last moment, I thought I had some dullcote lacquer, but I did not, so the decals show more than they should.  But otherwise, I'm thrilled.   Here is the back story:

The EB-66 had proven itself a valuable asset during the Vietnam conflict, but by 1972 it was clear that the useful life of the aircraft was nearing an end.  The J-71 engines of the B-66 were simply inadequate for the job of lifting the heavy load of additional equipment that had been added to the EB (they were never really adequate at all, but now their shortcomings were overwhelming).  In addition, there were other problems with the airframes that needed a major retrofit, in particular the fuel system. 
There was considerable debate in the Pentagon about what to do about an EB-66 replacement.  One faction wanted to refurbish and retrofit early F-111As.  Another faction wanted to adopt the Navy’s Grumman EA-6B.  And a third faction campaigned to have the existing EB-66s refurbished and re-engined.  In the end, the EA-6B option was eliminated due to Air Force parochialism (the USAF did not want to buy ANOTHER Navy plan after the F-4, A-1, A-7, etc.).  The F-111A option was favored, but tabled for a later date, as the F-111 was still a relatively new fighter.  In the meantime, the B-66 option won the day.  All available B-66 airframes were returned to the Douglas plant in Long Beach, CA (by then a division of McDonnell Douglas).  There, the aircraft were virtually remanufactured.  The airframes were brought to a zero time condition; the fuel system was completely redesigned and included an air refueling receptacle (in place of the former probe).  The problematic J-71 engines were discarded in favor of TF-33 turbofans providing 65% more power and greater fuel economy.  The aircraft also received a completely modernized suite of electronic warfare equipment including the AN/ALQ-99E jamming system housed in a ventral canoe fairing as well as the fin-top “football” antenna, and the extended tailcone.  Communications jammers, chaff and flare dispensers were also mounted.  The EB-66F (as the new aircraft was designated) was also equipped to carry, target and launch AGM-88 HARM anti-radiation missiles, as well as a self-protection jamming pod on a left wing pylon. 
The rebuilt aircraft were given new serial numbers in the 72-xxx range, and entered service at Shaw AFB, SC and Spangdahlem AB, Germany starting in 1975.  The aircraft shown here saw combat in January, 1991 as part of Operation Desert Storm in Iraq. 

Offline Acree

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »
Additional EB-66F photos:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 04:34:58 PM »
One look and those TF-33s say more power-speed same as the RW photo.
Well thought out and looking right for mission you explained :)