Author Topic: Dazzle Camo Dropship - Made of junk  (Read 24387 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Dazzle Camo Dropship - Made of junk
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 02:31:05 AM »
Next up I have a brilliant idea inspired by my fondness for the following aircraft and my desire to have some actual armament on this thing.

Funny you should say that - its interesting just how much the Shturmovik (early models) like the Defiant looks without the turret (and some wing guns of course):

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline iain.j.grant

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2019, 04:53:01 AM »
Turret troubles.

My first though was to take the turret ring and front turret from the Focke and graft that on to the Mosquito fuselage, sadly looking at the curves involved I realised this would be unlikely to look seamless.  This had me stumped for quite a while.

I wanted to cut a circular hole and slot in the turret but i could not think how to make it the right shape. Then I came up with the idea of melting the hole. luckily I had a bit of copper pipe of about the right diameter.

It was working too, until I got impatient and pushed too hard, then this happened.

Oh well, nothing some glue couldn't fix. After much filing  I had a hole that fit the turret pretty well, just one issue, I had the 'glass' of the turret but not the gun etc to go in to it. 

I found a gun that looked about right and what I think is part of the exhaust from my 1/16 RC Tiger 1.

A quick chop and some glue and we have something that will look OK enough.

And here we are.

My only worry is that, now I look at it I want the turret to sit lower, not sure what do you think?

Next up some finishing touches on the underside and then I think I'll need some advice on what to do next.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2019, 08:22:26 AM »
I would go with the lower turret if it’s not too hard to get apart. Not a big enough problem to be worth breaking stuff in my opinion. Is there a chance of a thinner gun barrel?
Will you sand away the baseball size rivets to match the Mossie parts?

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
Hack, hack, melt, glue... loving this great efforts so far. ;)

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
To lower the turret, why not using a saw (those tiny little ones used for cutting resin, for example) and remove "a slice" near the bottom, without damaging the fuselage ?

Offline iain.j.grant

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 07:46:21 PM »
Sorry guys, I've lost all mojo for this project, it's progressed little further than is shown here. I do hope to come back to it but nothing is inspiring me.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »
You are not alone, it happens to us all and for some of us it results in many unfinished projects being set aside to gather dust or tossed in the bin.  Sometimes the interest in finishing the project returns after a time.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 10:36:57 AM »
Yep, the mojo shall return! ... Maybe .... One day ... ::)

I have a couple of builds (OK, about 10 of them) that have been sitting mojo-less for, well, I think one's up to about 8 years, now, but it's still there & every once in a while I think about it & have a look, maybe do some little thing, then move on.

I know the will to finish it (all of them) is there, it's just not that strong at the moment. One day! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »
I know I’ll be here waiting for this mojo to return.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
Do not despair, I think every modeler loses there mojo occasionally, I know, I was that man.

Spend a few  nights doing something else  not model related this will give you the itch to get back to the bench.

This is a good concept you have here, I look forward to seeing it finished

Good luck

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline iain.j.grant

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 12:40:08 AM »
OK, a couple of additions:
I thought I'd already posted this, but it looks not. I got the cargo bay roughly on (filler will cover  the gaps).

then I took this, I think it's the engine deck from a Leopard 1, I want it to be a kind of VTOL/hover type thing. still needs a bit of blending in...

Filler to the rescue!

Basic shaping done.

Wheels back on.

Engines back on and a quick wash pf black to tie things together a bit.

Hmmm, looks wonky, but I want to keep the turret height so it could shoot forward.

Offline iain.j.grant

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 01:04:45 AM »
So, I found some of these in a local park, apparently, people use them to get high on laughing gas but they look like  fuel tanks to me.

Under the wings they go.

Totally industrial piping and not drinking straws.

I kinda want one of these:

but I don't have the parts, so I tried a straw as a cannon, but i'm not feeling it.

I think that my stall is when it feels like there is nothing but sanding, painting and finishing to do, it doesn't grab me, but I do want to see the end of this. hmmm.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 03:10:45 AM »
For the cannon, perhaps a cluster of cut pins to yield the barrels and then some plastic disks at the end with appropriate holes.  Alternatively, you could buy the appropriately sized GAU-8 barrels et al. from Master, but I'm thinking the cluster of pins would suit the spirit of the build better.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 08:34:21 AM »
Good grief, you're packing a lot in there! :icon_surprised:

Jolly good! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."