Author Topic: Condor Legion He 100D-1 Build Thread - Spanish Civil War  (Read 6602 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Condor Legion He 100D-1 Build Thread - Spanish Civil War
« on: November 10, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
Here's my first finished entry for this GB, a Condor Legion He 100D-1 coded 8●14 and flown by Leutnant Werner Ursinus of 2.J/88.  Click on the image to see it at 100%.

Spain would serve as the baptism of fire for the He 100, but the Bf 109 would take the lion's share of the Condor Legion's kills in the conflict.  By the time the He 100 was introduced, the majority of Republican aircraft had been swept from the sky by the German experten.  Only enough He 100s were delivered to equip the 2. Staffel of J/88 before war's end.  It was assigned the aircraft code "8", previously used by the Condor Legion's He 112s, the Nationalist Air Force having used the code of "5" for its He 112s.  This was likely an attempt to confuse Western sources regarding the He 100's true nature, some aircraft still being referred to as He 112Us in the press.

Flown by Leutnant Werner Ursinus of 2.J/88, this He 100D-1 coded 8●14 had the name "Bärchen" painted in white below the cockpit.  "Ursinus" means "bear" in Latin and the German for "Teddy Bear" is "Bärchen".  Ursinus did not claim any victories with 2.J/88 in Spain but later went on to serve with JG 53 in France, the Battle of Britain and Russia.  Ursinus led 3./JG 53 until the end of August 1941 when he took over the Ergänzungsstaffel of JG 53.  He survived the war as an instructor.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:01:19 PM by Logan Hartke »

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Condor Legion He 100D-1 Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
Here's the "build thread" for the Condor Legion Heinkel He 100 entry for the Clear Your Bench GB.

Here's where it started as a quickie in September.

I got a little further than the 2nd image...and then my hard drive gave out and I lost a few hours of work that I hadn't backed up on my external.  A couple weeks of computer repair, replacement, and maintenance finally allowed me to pick back up where I left off, redoing the work and then some.

Then Photoshop crashed...and I lost another couple hours of work.

Finally, though, it's finished!

I hope you all liked it.  The numbers were the hardest part on this one, but the cross on the tail was actually surprisingly difficult because so many of the profiles are wrong.

I was surprised at how simple the markings are, yet so many publications get them wrong.  I like my green better than the grays and greens seen in most profiles compared to the black and white photos from the conflict.  Moreover, the small detail markings are wrong on most profiles, right down to Ursinus' nickname under the cockpit (German quotation marks are lost on most people).

Let me know if there are any questions about any stage of the process.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Condor Legion He 100D-1 Build Thread - Spanish Civil War
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:44:11 AM »
Looks real!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »
HE 100 certainly has a fast looking profile.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:02:04 AM »
This is such a natural and you've pulled it off with incredible talent and skill!

Brian da Basher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 06:50:14 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  The He 100 really looks nice no matter how you paint it!

Cheers,

Logan