Author Topic: Stachel's "Blue Max" Pfalz  (Read 9476 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Stachel's "Blue Max" Pfalz
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
Hi all,
I've lifted this from a series of posts on another forum, please excuse any date references. From here on out it'll be BTS-specific posts!

One of my current Great War builds is that of one of the two Pfalzes built for The Blue Max, the more accurate but poorer-handling G-ATIJ:

'TIJ flew in several other films until ultimately being retired to a hangar in Alabama. There it was found by a mate of mind who informed Blue Max fan and collector Peter Jackson, who then bought it and had the sad old plane shipped to NZ. The aircraft was restored to flight - in its film scheme - at Omaka in New Zealand and flew as ZK-JPI, making its debut at the 2005 Classic Fighters Airshow. That was a highlight for me! It is now on static display at the Omaka Heritage Centre, appropriately on a red carpet, but is apparently still ready-to-fly. They have it displayed under a projector screen which shows the first "dogfight" of the film on a loop, which features this aircraft and its sister Pfalz...which Sir Peter also owns, and is used as a training aeroplane for The Vintage Aviator Limited.

Like many here I love the film and when I lived in Blenheim in 2007 I visited the museum often to see this machine in person. One of the reasons was to photograph every inch - over the barriers - in preparation to build it from the 1/72 Roden kit. After a while I had build most of the airframe but the paint scheme scared me off and I opted for a Jasta 10 machine instead, but this year I recovered my composure and got back into it.

I'd previously done several mods to the kit to more accurately reflect the replica's appearance, chief among them removing two cylinders from the engine, carving footholds into the fuselage side, and sanding the rudder and fin to match the replica. This weekend I also removed the radiator from the top wing.

As you can see it's already been partially painted so my next step is to go over everything with Tamiya Light Grey as a base. I have also bought an Encore kit and have used the decals from that.

One lingering question is that of the colour on the cowls, struts and wheels. The Encore instructions I've seen say that this Pfalz had them in black in the movie, but in person the restored aircraft has not black but more of a very dark blue. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Here's an example, although I think the flash brings out too much blue: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/118937/germany-imperial-air-force-ww1-pfalz-d-iii-replica/
Also this one: http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1359613/

Just a bump to say I found the coin to spring for the Encore Models 1/72 kit and will pinch the beautiful decals from it for this build. Looking at them, the kit will definitely need some sort of matt/weathering to tone down the colours. Pics this weekend!

Hi folks,
The Encore kit arrived (in a stupidly large box for postage) late last week and was immediately opened so the instructions and decals could be removed for this build. I've started the new kit with the intention of using the Roden decals on it.

Here's the model in its as-of-2007 state, with the Encore decals.

Before doing anything else I painted all the to-be-lozenged surfaces with Tamiya Sky Grey, (as an undercoat for the lozenge decals) the vertical tail Flat White and the undersurfaces a custom mix for the blue called out in the instructions.

To my immense relief, the decals went on without much fuss. The biggest issue was finding the holes for the struts and footholds so I could cut them out.

However trouble came a day or two later. Having used Humbrol decal setting solution before and after - and leaving it to dry - I then brushed on some brand new Tamiya Flat Clear. Unfortunately, whether due to my brush not being clean enough or not having mixed the clear, there were white patches all over the airframe. You may be able to make it out on the fuselage:

I've wanted a model of this machine since I first saw the movie as a kid so you can imagine how I felt about this. It wouldn't be rubbed off with a finger so I decided to try some Humbrol Satin coat over the top. When I get home tomorrow I'll take another look and give you an update. Folks on Facebook have given some hints which I'll try.

And there we are, the current state of play as of last week. Look for an update - hopefully with white-residue-free Pfalz, in the coming days.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:20:52 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Stachel's "Blue Max" Pfalz
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »
Brave man, even with decals! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 12:26:39 PM »
NICE!  :)
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi gents,
Thanks! Building any of the lozenged machines from the movie always brings to mind Karl-Michael Vogler's immortal line as Otto Heidemann:

"He was either very brave, or very foolish."

Luckily the Humbrol Satin Coat or repeat Tamiya Matt Clear has helped the residue, at least on the topside. I'm torn between reprinting the underside blue or leaving it. Photo tomorrow!
Zac in NZ

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:10 AM »
Coming along nicely
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 05:01:17 AM »
Thanks Greg. No photo as winter has hit hard and it was far too cold to do any work...so Sam and I played Xbox instead.

Next step will be to mount the wing and give stretched sprue rigging a go. My plan is to get the 1/32 Encore Blue Max kit and a Wingnut Wings one and swap the decals over. Given the cost, that's a backburner project!
Zac in NZ

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 05:10:19 AM »
too cold to do any work...so Sam and I played Xbox instead.

So sad to see the way young couples have become distracted by technology... ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Too cold for models but ok for xbox?....There was a time when cold weather resulted in increased population not gaming.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »
Well...gaming of another kind... ;)

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »
Oh you guys.  ;D My workbench is in the garage, so cold weather really puts a hold on things. Her Xbox, on the other hand, is in the lounge with a wall-mounted gas heater and several blankets. Just for you, I will persevere this weekend regardless of the temperature!

I'll give stretched-sprue rigging a go this weekend, if the matches live long enough in the bitter cold.  :-[
Zac in NZ

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 02:11:23 AM »
Poor Zac...still confused about priorities...sigh. :icon_crap:

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 04:10:34 AM »
Priorities?!

Seven WW1-era kits underway...I think my priorities are spot-on,  ;)
Zac in NZ

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 06:49:49 AM »
Wow you've done a fantastic job with those decals, Zac!

I've seen a few reviews of them and none hinted at any problems, but lozenge decals are always a challenge for me. My usual good decal voodoo seems to disappear whenever I try to use them. It's very heartening to see you achieve such a nice result!

Looking forward to more,
Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:12:24 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »
Me too ... bring on Spring!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »
As well as the Albatros, I managed to get the top wing on the pfalse Pfalz today.

It was tricky as not only are the struts thin, but the attachment tabs are very small so I needed the jig to keep it in place. Next week: rigging!
Zac in NZ

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 04:34:54 AM »
Know myself how amazingly well coffee mugs & paint jars work as jigs :)

I see two propellers in the background ...... a contra-prop Pfalz ?? :D

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 05:17:47 AM »
 ;D Lol, no, the props are for a NOVO Vickers Vimy I'm building as the 1994 replica. That being said, I do need to find a new prop as the original's blades are long gone - I cemented the hub to the nose to help with re-shaping which never happened. The replica has a Tiger Moth one, so I may get a spare from Airfix...

The Pfalz' top wing already fell off once while I was aligning everything, so the bottles were a must.

The keener eyes among you may notice some decal cracking on the top wing...the top of the top wing is the only part that hasn't got a satin coat, which I decided can go on once the struts have dried.
Zac in NZ

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »
<snip>
I see two propellers in the background ...... a contra-prop Pfalz ?? :D

A contra-prop Pfalz? Pure genius!

That close-up shot really shows off your mad lozenge decal voodoo, Zac! This beauty has all it takes to finish up a winner!

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 04:55:33 AM »
Thanks Brian! The decals are excellent and went on very well, although I must have done something wrong with the wing as the leading edges lifted.

So I went into The Mancave on Saturday morning and found the Pfalz on the floor with the top wing and one interplane strut separated. I blame the cats, but I'm not sure which...

I fixed it (I was going to say easily, but that would be a lie) and let it dry overnight - again - and then got to work rigging. After preparing a good eight or nine stretched sprues I got into it, starting with the undercarriage. By 4.30pm yesterday she appeared thus:

The keener-eyed among you may notice some extra struts. This aircraft was known as "the Rubber Pfalz" because of some disconcerting issues with the airframe, which were somewhat rectified by the addition of struts between the wing and fuselage and between the interplanes and outer wing. I've approximated these on the model because it's not the Bellamy Pfalz without them. I also moved the landing gear struts back but I'm worried I should have trimmed the front legs a little as it's sitting rather high...

The White Spots are still there on the fuselage and this photo taken with flash shows it:

All that remains is the rigging between the wings, re-doing the satin coat on the fuselage (my fingers felt sticky after holding it...disconcerting) and adding the prop. For this I'm using one from an old Airfix Tiger Moth as the spinner is about the right shape. You might just be able to see it in the photos.

(Excuse the quality of the photos, I was using my phone. The proper camera will be in action this weekend.)
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 08:20:47 AM »
It's done! There are some flaky decals and limp wires, but I'm very pleased.

This is Roden's 1/72 Pfalz D.IIIa with the Encore decals and minor mods to represent one of the two replicas built for The Blue Max in 1965. This aircraft is now on display at the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre in New Zealand.

This shows the nasty white residue from earlier in the build. I'll just leave it, likewise the slightly flaky decals on the top wing. Could be worse!

It was a looooong build but it was great to get some rigging practice and experience with pre-cut lozenge decals. AND I've finally got ZK-JPI in my collection.

Now to do it all over again in 1/32 sometime down the line...
Zac in NZ

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 02:03:21 AM »
Damn fine work Zac! :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 07:20:45 AM »
Damn fine work Zac! :)

Completely concur! Not only did that finish up a treat but the decals are magnificent and the rigging a masterpiece in its own right!

Most excellent, Mango King!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
Beautiful job, love the look of biplanes, just not brave enough to do them often.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 10:45:43 PM »
I only have one biplane in the stash, my favourite - a Bristol F.2b Fighter in 1/48 (Revell, I think, but not sure enough to wager on that).