Author Topic: 1/72 Grumman Revenger from the Heller SBC-4  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Grumman Revenger from the Heller SBC-4
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »
Early 1942 was an anxious time for the U.S. west coast and the great Pacific northwest in particular due to the fear of attacks by enemy submarines as this Seattle Post-Intelligencer from late February, 1942 attests. Nerves were frayed by reports of merchant sinkings and sub sightings. Enemy periscopes were even said to have been seen in Puget Sound:

Fortunately, the right aircraft appeared at just the right time to blunt the threat: the Grumman XTBF-Y Revenger.

Perhaps the best part of this story is that the XTBF-Y should've never been built at all. The 150 on hand in early 1942 existed only due to a clerical error at the U.S. Navy Bureau of Aeronautics.

By 1939, the Navy realized their sleek, modern TBD Devastators were fast becoming obsolete. A requirement for a new torpedo bomber was announced and Grumman submitted their XTBF-Y proposal. The Navy liked what it saw and ordered a service test squadron.

Unfortunately, the new prototype's weaknesses were revealed during the service test phase. A slow climb rate and limited field of fire for the tail gunner due to the unique rear fold-down "turtle deck" spelled doom for the Grumman XTBF-Y and the project was meant to be cancelled. However, instead of submitting a completed form BA267054-c, a Navy clerk typist's mate 2nd class sent form BA267054-p in by mistake to BuAer and the XTBF-Y was put into limited production.

This would be lucky indeed for the brave people of Seattle and for Salmon lovers world-wide.

The Navy realized it had 150 almost worthless torpedo bombers on hand and engaged in a modification program to reconfigure the XTBF-Y for anti-submarine warfare. The top-secret QRSTUV-26 airborne radar was added in a wingtip pod and a MAD stinger was grafted onto the tail. The rear gunner was replaced by a radar/MAD operator.

The new ASW platform was dubbed the Revenger upon entering service just after December 7, 1941. It was indeed formidable, armed with two Mark 17x depth bombs and an experimental Westinghouse Mark W aerial torpedo. These secret weapons were smaller than usual as TNT had been replaced with Explodium 235 which offered more bang for the buck. As a last resort, the aircraft's four wing-mounted .50 cal. machine guns could deliver a withering strafing attack.

On the late afternoon of February 29th, 1942 a periscope was sighted off Mercer Island. The aircraft of the 107th Patrol Squadron (ASW) were sent up to find and destroy the enemy. Aircraft 71, named Jonah by its pilot, spotted what it thought was the enemy and dove to engage. Its two Mark 17x depth bombs found their target which promptly exploded.

Unluckily, no enemy sub was hit, but a couple of fishing boats were and incredibly finely-chopped salmon rained down upon the area. Thus the lucrative juggernaut known as the salmon pate` industry was born.

The Grumman Revenger went on to serve without distinction until finally replaced by newer types in 1943. The 107th Patrol Squadron's "Jonah" is obscure, but often modeled by pedantic rivet-counters with limited social skills due to the colorful Fight or Buy Bonds! poster on the aircraft's nose. Tedious "discussions" about the true colors of that War Bond poster can be followed on various internet forums for those who have lost their will to live.

While no complete Grumman Revengers exist today, an XTBF-Y pilot relief tube assembly was found just off Whidbey Island in 1986. Sadly, a 1/72 scale plastic model kit ("for ages 7 and up only!") is as close as one can get to this classic warbird.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:57:38 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Grumman Revenger from the Heller SBC-4
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:33:32 AM »
This all started when I picked up a venerable Heller 1/72 Curtiss SBC-4 biplane on sale at a ridiculous price. The box art just gets me right where I live:

Since I had some F4F Wildcat wings going spare, this project practically suggested itself.

I decided this would be an ASW bird, so the kit fuel tank was used as the under wing radar pod.

I then made a few cuts to the lower rear fuselage and stuck a nameless tail boom on the end. A bit of sprue and a piece chopped from a landing gear strut made up the tail wheel fairing & tail hook.

Next I cut back the top and rear edges of the fin and rudder and horiz. stabs. and squared them off with more sprue so they'd resemble the shape of the Wildcat wing tips.

I also attached a belly tank rack for the torpedo and two P-12E wing racks for the depth bombs.

Speaking of the weapons, various spare parts were used which you can see here.

The toughest part was adding the rings on the ends of the depth bombs.

All painted up, the weapons looked passable.

This project was really starting to move fast at this point.

Next it was off to the paint shop. Model Masters Medium Gray was used for the uppers and Model Masters Gray Primer was used on the undersides.

The decals are a mix. The star-and-meatball markings are from a HobbyBoss Wildcat and the codes were odd  spares.

The Fight or Buy Bonds nose art were left over from a Revell Nieuport 29. I had to turn the flash off to capture the detail.

I've been working on this model for a month. I got hung up painting the wheels. It's always something stupid, isn't it?

I hope you liked my Grumman Revenger and enjoyed reading a little more forgotten history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:53:51 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:02:26 AM »
An interesting bit of "forgotten" history and a well-done model, Brian.  Bravo!!

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:10:21 PM »
You did it again man  ;D 8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »
 :-* Great model, thanks for sharing!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:08:52 AM »
Done it again !
You described your in work builds and half or so seem like they won't work out.  Then every time based on obscure corners of history they do work out.  Here we are with another subject ignored by model companys and a history lesson :)

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »
Great model. Although, I have often wondered what the author of your "history" books was smoking.

Ed

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
I'm loving this one, Brian.  Great job!

Chuck

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:36:49 PM »
Oh God they're RATIONING SALMON  :o  :o  :o
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 02:59:12 AM »
Great work as usual Brian.  Was half expecting to see this beauty sporting some spats.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »
Brilliant! Clover Leaf is, of course, a Canadian distributor of canned salmon. Sending finely-chopped salmon flying across an international boundary gives gives some idea of the awesome explosive power of those Mk 17x depth charges, eh?  ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz