Author Topic: 'Topping' style Vought Corsair  (Read 1924 times)

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
'Topping' style Vought Corsair
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »

Okay, so I've tried to be good, and use the Lockdown time to finish up the stack of half-completed models that I have, but . . .
I feel the need, the need, to cut and glue plastic . . .   ;D
So, here we are. I've long had a liking for the 'Topping' style models, put out by aircraft manufacturers, when trying to sell their latest wares.
I acquired a kit last year, with the intention of doing a model in this style, but haven't had an excuse to build it, until now . . .
Here's the box,

and the runners.

I was able to crack on with this, and reached this stage after an hour, or so.

That's All For Now, Stay Tuned . . .

EDIT: I was supposed to post this last night, but my Image Host was 'Down for Server Maintenance'.

cheers,
Robin.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:35:28 AM by robunos »
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline robunos

Re: 'Topping' style Vought Corsair
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 04:34:26 AM »

Okay . . .
Another session today, here are the results.
Wings attached to the fuselage, aft cowling and engine rear row added, tailplanes attached. Cowling assembled, once dry, it needs some filling and sanding.

Propeller and engine ready for painting.

I found an old stand in the spares box, this will be suitable, with a little work.

Stand parts off the runner, and cleaned up.

Stand parts assembled, and painted with liquid cement. I've already sanded with fairly coarse wet-and-dry to roughen the surface.

That's All For Now, Stay Tuned . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 07:43:22 AM »
If I recall correctly, that's made from the same molds as the Italeri pressing, and they made the mistake of making the port and starboard horizontal tailplanes identical, with the result that one of them will wind up with the elevator actuator on top and the other on the bottom. Now for all I know maybe the Corsair really did have them like that, but I doubt it.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »
That's coming along very nicely indeed!

Already looking forward to your next update,

Brian da Basher

Offline robunos

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 07:20:06 PM »

Okay, today's update, such that it is . . . it was really last night's, but I didn't get around to posting it . . .   :-[
Slot cut in fuselage bottom for the stand, and checked, cowling cleaned up and dry fitted, and canopy / windshield attached.

@The Rat: Yep, that's the one, I noticed it when I came to stick the tailplanes on !   ???
In a way, this kit's not really suitable for this build, as it's _too_ detailed. These manufacturers models tend to be very plain, no detail, and any panel or control surface lines are usually just drawn on. What I really need is one of those old 60s / early 70s kits, with raised panel lines. Sand / scrape them off, and there's a smooth model . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 06:49:11 AM »
That's coming along nicely, Robin!

I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I get that far.

Looking forward to roll-out,

Brian da Basher