Author Topic: Italari 1/12 Fiat Mefistofeles  (Read 13483 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Italari 1/12 Fiat Mefistofeles
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:35:57 AM »
Hi all since the Soliel Royal is permanently shelved here is my next project.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Re: Italari 1/12 Fiat Mefistofeles
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 02:54:34 AM »
What do you think of it so far?
Seeing as it's re-release of a Protar kit that was primarily metal when originally released in 1975
I'm curious about the general part moulding quality.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 02:13:38 AM »
Hi all here is the next installment

the moulding on the kit are totally awesome (although reading other builds of the the instructions would have you put the front suspension the wrong way round and the rear suspension too high) both easy fixes if you know in advance also the sequense of build is also awkward if yo follow the instructions ( much better to read another build and follow their suggestions as to the build order) as far as i've got the fit is superb and the build i'm following has not mentioned any flaws in the fit (although they do suggest throwing the assorted tubing which comes with the kit away and using wire shrink wrap as the stuff in the kit is way out of scale) (I trust the info of the builder I'm following as they are way out of my league)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:19:48 AM »
Hi all well the friction dampers are definitely fiddely these took all last night (the legs/arms have round holes which are an interference fit on square pegs I was worried they might snap with the force required to push them on, so I drilled them out a bit, still a snug fit but safer

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:37 AM »
Hi all I've read a lot about this car and from what I can gather the engine leaked oil like a sieve (in fact the driver was sitting in hot engine oil after every run ) so I've tried to depict a very oily engine.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 04:05:28 AM »
Hi all here's the next installment.
A lot of the kit supplied tubing is way out of scale, another modeler  is building this (to a much higher standard than I could hope to and they are using shrink wrap tubing to great effect) the following photo is of the kit supplied tubing and the tubing I intend to use (I think you can see there is quite a difference)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 11:37:03 PM »
Hi all here is today's bit.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:42 PM »
Top notch so far! :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »
Once again, it's hard to tell that you're not building a real car! You may want to run a soft wire through the heat shrink tubing if you're planning on bending it to any degree. Most polyolefin heat shrink tubing folds rather than bend.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 03:25:14 AM »
That engine just gets better and better  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »
Hi all well as I'm doing this as she was for the record run I've primed her in black(she was painted red some time after she went into the museum, on the run she was black)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 03:00:17 AM »
Hi all well done a bit more on this, I was told by someone building this on another forum the chain is very difficult to do(you put it together in sections then melt the little pins to keep the chain together)
well as he did I melted the first link to the one underneath, so I had a rethink activexp (the other builder) tried a solering iron with adjustable heat setting and even on the lower setting had trouble with melting links so that method I ruled out, my solution which seemed to work quite well after a few minor changes (tried cold water but cooled the blade to quick)I put the chain assy in a shallow glass dish and put just enough hot water in till it is level with the top link then heat the knife blade up and melt the pin, I made the water as hot as I could bare to put my hand in (not boiling as was worried it might warp or melt the plastic)

this is just one set there are I think 4 more

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
Ah, the joys of chain-drive! ;D

Almost as good as individual-link tracks! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 06:12:05 AM »
Hi all thinking of giving up this modeling lark but will finish what I've started and the Rolls,tbh i just don't have the time and apart from the loyal few no one is really interested in what i'm doing, anyway here is where i'm at on this .

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
Hi all thinking of giving up this modeling lark ... and apart from the loyal few no one is really interested in what i'm doing .

Do you enjoy it when you are modelling?  If so, stick with it!  Does it really matter what others may think?  So long as you enjoy yourself is all that matters.

BTW, I can assure you that many of us are in complete awe of your work and are probably to speechless to know what to say.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 09:46:22 AM »
BTW, I can assure you that many of us are in complete awe of your work and are probably to speechless to know what to say.
What the man said.  Your work just blows me away and I'm in awe of your patience.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 04:56:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, yes I do enjoy it immensely, but I seem to have less and less time for it, plus space for finished stuff, I used to post practically every day but find now I may not get any modeling done for three or four days, I feel like an addict missing his fix.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 05:23:11 PM »
Leaks oil,,, you sure its not a Studebaker engine. ???
You are doing great.  Looks much like 1/1 build. :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 01:40:42 AM »
I'm not really a car/bike/sailing-ship bloke but, even if I'm not commenting, I'm always visiting just to check out the awesomeness of your builds, mate! 8) :icon_alabanza:

Maybe cut down on the number of simultaneous creations & use what time you have to focus on the fewer builds.

My build rate has never been anything like yours but even I've had to slow down lately because of life outside whiffing interfering but, if I wasn't building when I can, I'd go completely insane, as opposed to mostly.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »
What they said  :) If I could Photoshop an engine to look as good as yours does in polystyrene, I'd be feeling very pleased with myself!

I know what you mean, though, about rates of production. None of us are as productive as we used to be but, really, it is the end result and enjoyment of the process that determine whether it was worth the effort.

Leaks oil,,, you sure its not a Studebaker engine. ???

;D

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 03:43:28 AM »
Hi all well I was shown some photos of this on it world speed run by Dominic Beerts and as well as being black the rear of the car was higher and the 4 breather holes weren't there so I've raised the back by 10 mill now I just have to lower the skirt by 10 mill. Here are some pics, lots more to do.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 04:06:45 AM »
Hi all well back off hols with renewed energy, oh dear, there is something weird with the plastic on this kit, the paint I'm using I usually (on other models anyway) I can get off with meths, I didn't like the look of this so I thought I would remove it and start again, I started brushing it off using meths and it started melting the plastic?

I put some plastic from another kit in the meths along with a piece of sprue from this kit over night, as you can see the ItalarI sprue has dissolved completely

And the other sprue as you can see is completely untouched

Don't know what to do now, if I sand it out I will loose the rivet detail, all I can think of is to do a what if and have it as a derelict in a barn now, any suggestions.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:33 AM »
As you're using metho to remove the paint, I assume you're using acrylics? ???

If so, I'd check how the Italeri sprue reacts to oven cleaner fumes. If there's no adverse reactions, I've read on other forums that placing painted parts in a sealed container with a "bowl" (lid?) of oven cleaner loosens the paint so it can be scrubbed off.

No personal experience with this method, though.

Never had any problems with metho & plastic, either.

Turp's, on the other hand! :o

Offline apophenia

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 12:45:08 PM »
Ouch! Old Wombat's suggestion of oven cleaner is a good one.  It seems to work best on glossy paints ... but not at all with flat black.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
Or better yet try isopropol alcohol first. Small amount on an ear bud, wipe on and burnish or use a toothbrush to dig into panel lines.

Rember styrene is made from petrochemicals so I wouldn't use petrochemicals on it ... no-one expects them to eat into styrene, in fact those who do ... no, no, NO Cardinal Biggles, no-one expects the Spanish Paintstripquistion, our weapons are three, no four, our weapons are FOUR, turps, rocket fuel, JP1 or 6 for you blackbird drivers, and fanatical devotion to Mr Tamiya  oooh ah ha! What be your name o Wizard? My name be Tim! Oh mighty Tim, takest thou thy holy oven cleaner and cast it at thy painted abomination and waitest thou twelve hours and the abominated paint, being nought in the Lords sight, shall snuff it. The number of thy counting is twelve, countest not to eleven unless thou countest to twelve, countest not to thirteen. Twenty is right out. Takest not the holy unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine for thy oven cleaner for the Lord frowns on idolatry and hypergolic fuels ...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:29:57 PM by Modelling_Mushi »
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud