Author Topic: STOVL carrier featuring Rotodynes  (Read 3691 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
STOVL carrier featuring Rotodynes
« on: March 07, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
I have been toying with the idea of a STOVL carrier that, like the "Proto-Kreml" derivative that I butchered before, also uses the Rotodyne for ASW and AEW......

I attempted to use the Giuseppe Garibaldi of the Italian navy as a template, although judging from the intellectual exercise below...

... I probably shouldn't think about housing all embarked aircraft into the hangar......

Here is a question I have- if I am now thinking of an air wing of 10 STOVL fighters & 7 Rotodynes, how many of them can I get away with leaving in the open on the flight deck (or at least how many of those aircraft should the hangar be able to accommodate)?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:50:37 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: STOVL carrier featuring Rotodynes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:29:29 AM »
I don't have the answer to your military question but, as a dreamer, I like this nice collection of unusual shapes, thanks! :)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:45:38 AM »
Is that the supersonic Harrier along with the Rotodynes?

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
Is that the supersonic Harrier along with the Rotodynes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_P.1216

=============================================================

Now the hangar is down to housing 12 of up to 18 (when without STOVL fighters) Rotodynes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:27:50 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
I've got one of Martin Higgs' 1/72 scale P.1216's in my stash (along with a similarly scaled Fantastic Plastic P.1214)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 09:12:55 PM »
Can you build this in 3D in 1/700? It would be awesome!  :)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 04:49:40 AM »
Here is a question I have- if I am now thinking of an air wing of 10 STOVL fighters & 7 Rotodynes, how many of them can I get away with leaving in the open on the flight deck (or at least how many of those aircraft should the hangar be able to accommodate)?
While no expert, it appears US carriers routinely leave 50% of the regular carrier air group on deck, even more if they have the maximum aircraft onboard.

Nimitz class carriers apparently have a capacity for 30-35 aircraft with the normal air group being about 60-65 aircraft and a maximum air group being 80-90 aircraft.

Maximum "foldability" will be key to increasing the hangar deck capability.

Paul

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:38:37 AM »
For inspiration: some years back there were modified Rotodyne posts on BTS.