Author Topic: Porco Rosso - Savoia S.21 (1/72)  (Read 1700 times)

Offline strobez

• Hmmm... That looks easy enough...
Porco Rosso - Savoia S.21 (1/72)
« on: August 26, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
Hi all. While doing my Miyazaki-themed scratchbuild, I just couldn't resist the urge to break this kit out and give it a shot.  I'd been saving it until I thought I could do it justice, and I'm feeling like that time has come... famous last words I bet!  :-[

Anyway I've heard a lot of good things about the hand/glove fit of this kit... and I have to admit, actually just having to follow the detailed instructions OOB is a nice change of pace.  :-\

Alright... so here's the box...

...and here's what's in the box...

...and, shockingly, I'm starting with the cockpit.

One nice little blast of Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow and we're off to the races!

I decided to try and stick to the paint callouts as closely as possible - going so far as to check the 1/48 instructions to see if they were more detailed. The one main difference is that the 1/72 calls for X-7 Red for the main fuselage, while the 1/48 specifies the Italian Red spray can (TS8?). I went for the gusto and got the spray can since I'm also planning to build the Macchi M.52r som too.  I've never really used cans before, so I'm a bit nervous, but hey... wouldn't want to have it too easy, right?
Thanks!

Greg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Porco Rosso - Savoia S.21 (1/72)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »
Be careful! The rattle cans can apply too thickly extremely quickly.

One option is to decant the paint into a container & thin it with turpentine/lacquer thinner to the appropriate consistency to run through your airbrush.

I've seen it recommended that a glass jar (ex-Tamiya paint/spare airbrush jar) be used, with the contents of the can being sprayed into a straw, the other end of which is held in the top of the jar by a piece of foam (the foam holds the straw & allows air to flow out of the jar whilst minimising paint particles/splashes getting out of the jar).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Porco Rosso - Savoia S.21 (1/72)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 02:34:45 AM »
I think you've picked a crackerjack subject and it looks like you're off to a great start!

Brian da Basher