Author Topic: Transall (Transport Allianz) C-160  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Transall (Transport Allianz) C-160
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »
With only seven real owner and operators of the actual aircraft the Transall C-160 has a lot of potential for any number of what if subjects. 

With two C-160 kits in 1:72nd scale to choose from courtesy of Revell and Heller with the Revell kit having a lot of interior details.  I recall one C-160 in an odd scale but do not remember who made it, not that it really matters since there are now two to choose from in 1:72nd scale. 

So ignoring reality, how about an MC-160 that performs a similar mission to the USAF Combat Talon MC-130?  Acquired in limited numbers by several NATO countries to support special operations. 

An armed C-160 gun platform seems like a no brainer at this point. 

The tanker version C-160 has been done in the real world.  No idea if this was successful or not but I have seen a couple of pictures of a C-160 modified to deploy the hose and drogue system. 

There is ELINT/SIGINT platform based on the C-160 that is in use with Germany and France.  Still plenty of possibilities for other surveillance and reconnaissance type missions.  What about maritime patrol?  Long loiter time and plenty of room inside for a lot of creature comforts to make the mission more enjoyable. 

How about upgrading the C-160 and replacing the RR Tyne units with a pair of Europrop TP400-D6 and those eight-bladed propellers?  Certainly a great idea but the cost of the kits might be the real buzz kill for achieving this in 1:72nd scale. 

Click thumbnail for larger image
)
(Image source: Wikipedia

Wikipedia - Transall C-160
Airforce-Technology.com - Transall C-160
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:36:37 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
Re: Transall (Transport Allianz) C-160
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:03:12 PM »
How about upgrading the C-160 and replacing the RR Tyne units with a pair of Europrop TP400-D6 and those eight-bladed propellers?  Certainly a great idea but the cost of the kits might be the real buzz kill for achieving this in 1:72nd scale. 

If anybody would like to give a go at this one, I have two spare TP400s from the Atlas Atlas project. :)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »

If anybody would like to give a go at this one, I have two spare TP400s from the Atlas Atlas project. :)

I'll have a go at that as it has been something I've been thinking off, like a A400M 'Light', PM inbound

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:59:50 AM »
This is an excellent example of networking and sharing an idea!  :)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Robert. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 04:00:41 AM »
Would love a 1/48 kit of one. :(
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 05:13:42 AM »
Would love a 1/48 kit of one. :(

Ditto!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 06:54:01 AM »
A 1/48 Transall would be the perfect base kit for my quad tilt rotor. I think I'd try to cast copies of the nacelles/prop-rotors of one of my 1/48 Ospreys instead of sacrificing two of those kits to the pantheon of Whiffing gods.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 07:46:29 AM »
Real unbuilt Transall projects from Secret Projects ... AEW, AWACS, airliner, C.161 cargo (Carvair-type), C.160B STOL (2 x R172 Adour auxiliary jets), jet-powered (2 x P&W JT3Ds or 4 x jets on swept wing), VTOL, C-160S (ocean surveillance), C-160ASF (armed C-160S), etc.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php

Unbuilt Transalls
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,406.0.html

Transall with auxiliary jet engines ?
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18205.0

C-160 Transall with Air Refueling BOOM
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2200.msg18707.html

C.160 AAA (Fixed Radone AWACS)
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6777.msg57583.html#msg57583
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
How about a Transall NG with the same RR engines as used on the C-130J and C-27J?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 02:47:20 AM »
New ones soon to be operating in Australia:

The former German Air Force (50+55) aircraft will be operated by McDermott Aviation Group in an aerial firefighting role equipped with a 14,000 litre internal tank.

Fellow C-160 Transall VH-RPR is also at Townsville for painting, while a third is due to arrive in Australia soon!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 11:18:40 PM »
Love the registration code. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."