Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - 8x8 Scimitar  (Read 367288 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Japanese A9He1-N "Wade" Floatplane
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2012, 04:45:48 AM »
Thanks!  I thought about "Jaguar" (I am in Jacksonville, after all), but there is a word in Spanish for "panther" so I decided to just keep it simple.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
Amazing detail and presentation, Logan. You've done it again !

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
Click on the image to see it at 100%.

Delays in acquiring A-4 Skyhawks for the Fuerza Aérea Argentina saw them instead deciding to purchase additional Panthers.  These B-51Bs, like the previous group, were ex-USAF with a retractable refueling probe in the nose, something that Argentina would put to use in their attacks on Royal Navy off the Falklands in 1982.  These new B-51Bs were all assigned to Grupo 4.  During the war, they would conduct numerous bombing missions, albeit less successful than those performed by Grupo 5.  They would also suffer a greater proportion of losses during the conflict.  C-321 was one of the aircraft that took part in the controversial raid on the HMS Invincible on May 30, 1982.

The aircraft has a kill marking for the Invincible on the nose and yellow recognition markings overpainted with blue at this point.

Build thread here.  "Argentinian B-51B Panther Build Thread - Falklands 1982"

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #203 on: May 22, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »
Lovin' the camo on that!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
B-51 subject, great choice.   Like C-321 camo.   :)
If there was a 1/48 B-51, could build it as large 1/72 bomber.
If there was a 1/72 B-51, could at least up-engine, etc...

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
Well there is/was the 1/48 Collect-aire kit...but I have seen more Hen's teeth then that...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
All the way back from Page 4!  Enough thread necromancy that I even got a warning from the board as I wrote this post!

Here's my first finished entry for this GB, a Condor Legion He 100D-1 coded 8●14 and flown by Leutnant Werner Ursinus of 2.J/88.  Click on the image to see it at 100%.

Spain would serve as the baptism of fire for the He 100, but the Bf 109 would take the lion's share of the Condor Legion's kills in the conflict.  By the time the He 100 was introduced, the majority of Republican aircraft had been swept from the sky by the German experten.  Only enough He 100s were delivered to equip the 2. Staffel of J/88 before war's end.  It was assigned the aircraft code "8", previously used by the Condor Legion's He 112s, the Nationalist Air Force having used the code of "5" for its He 112s.  This was likely an attempt to confuse Western sources regarding the He 100's true nature, some aircraft still being referred to as He 112Us in the press.

Flown by Leutnant Werner Ursinus of 2.J/88, this He 100D-1 coded 8●14 had the name "Bärchen" painted in white below the cockpit.  "Ursinus" means "bear" in Latin and the German for "Teddy Bear" is "Bärchen".  Ursinus did not claim any victories with 2.J/88 in Spain but later went on to serve with JG 53 in France, the Battle of Britain and Russia.  Ursinus led 3./JG 53 until the end of August 1941 when he took over the Ergänzungsstaffel of JG 53.  He survived the war as an instructor.

Click here to view the full build thread.  Condor Legion He 100D-1 Build Thread - Spanish Civil War

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Glanini

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »
Wonderful, love it, both the profile and the story, this is what this forum is made of ! :) :) :)

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »
Outstanding as always Logan, very good job!   :-*

regards
Lauhof

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2012, 06:50:28 AM »
Great He-100

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
Very NICE, Logan.  I've always been fond of the He-100

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, all!  I appreciate it!  I'll be trying to get at least another one done this GB.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »
That's an excellent profile and backstory and I'm looking forward to more.  I have to wonder how the He100D would have evolved over time in regard to engines and armament.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2012, 12:53:05 AM »
Logan, I am still blown away at the amount of detail when you view the full size art (and I do mean ART!). Very nice.
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2012, 07:22:10 AM »
Thanks, Doom!  When are you going to post some more profiles?

I have to wonder how the He100D would have evolved over time in regard to engines and armament.

Talos and I hope to answer some of those questions in time, but that's easier said than done!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2012, 07:42:18 AM »
Talos and I hope to answer some of those questions in time, but that's easier said than done!

Looking forward to that!  Great work on the Condor Legion Heinkel Logan!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Doom!

• Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
Thanks, Doom!  When are you going to post some more profiles?
Cheers,

Logan
As soon as the inspiration and extra time stars come back into alignment  ;D
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »
Thanks, apophenia!

As soon as the inspiration and extra time stars come back into alignment  ;D

I've been there!  Thankfully they just came into alignment about a week ago!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43:14 AM »
Here's my second finished entry for this GB, Werner Schröer's Heinkel He 100D-2 Trop, WNr 4170 'White 11' as it appeared on 21 April, 1941.  Notice the Trop filter on the wing that Talos made for this profile.  Click on the image to view it at 100%.

Werner Schröer was an excellent fighter leader and one of the few 'Experten' to serve throughout the entire war and survive.  Born on 12 December 1918, he joined the Luftwaffe in 1937 as a groundcrew member.  By May 1940 he had soloed, and he joined 2./JG 27 in August 1940 but did not see action during the Battle of Britain.  Schröer was to find his greatest fame with JG 27 as they moved south to join Rommel's Afrika Korps.  He claimed his first victory, an RAF Hurricane, on 19 April 1941 but his own aircraft was heavily damaged in the engagement.  Two days later, he again entered combat with Hurricanes and collided with one in the fight which ensued; this necessitated a forced landing at Ain-El-Gazala with his He 100D-2 Trop, WNr 4170 'White 11' incurring 40% damage.  By the end of 1941 his score stood at seven.  Schröer went on to achieve 114 victories, and finished the war as Kommodore of JG 3 'Udet'.  Schröer was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords.  Werner Schröer was arguably the greatest pilot of the Mediterranean theatre after the inimitable Hans-Joachim Marseille.  He passed away in Munich on 10 February 1985.

This profile depicts Schröer's Heinkel He 100D-2 Trop, WNr 4170 'White 11' as it appeared on 21 April, 1941.  It is believed that this aircraft was re-camouflaged in Sicily and that for early desert schemes such as this, which first appeared as early as April 1941, stocks of Italian paints were used. Note the weathered, dirty white outline to the fuselage cross compared to the new white of the fuselage band and code number, indicating that the aircraft had seen some service before the desert camouflage and band were applied.

Here's an alternate take on the profile with a tail camouflage that more closely matches the 109 schemes seen at the time.  Aesthetically, I don't like it quite as much as the first one that I posted, but what do you guys think?

Click here to view the full build thread.  Werner Schröer's He 100D-2 Trop Build Thread - JG 27 'Afrika'

Cheers,

Logan

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »
Personally, I agree; I like the first one the most.  I'd love to see comparative plan views which would show the tropical filter better.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
You'll have to ask Talos for that.  ;)

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »
Don't look at me!

From the top, it's just a rounded rectangle that hugs the shape of the inlet. Because of Heinkel's design style, I wanted to make one that blended in with the wing's shape better then, say, a Bf 109 or Hurricane's did with the nose.

Offline Doom!

• Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »
Nice!  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #223 on: November 15, 2012, 01:44:17 AM »
Don't look at me!

From the top, it's just a rounded rectangle that hugs the shape of the inlet. Because of Heinkel's design style, I wanted to make one that blended in with the wing's shape better then, say, a Bf 109 or Hurricane's did with the nose.
::chuckle::  I can live with that.  I was just interested because I've been involved with a few such installations.  They are rathr fascinating items in detail.

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #224 on: November 15, 2012, 02:45:57 AM »
Yeah, they can be. The one I put on the He 100 has a retractable cover with the filter element behind it and ahead of the normal inlet, so it isn't as simple as it looks, just an uncluttered installation.