Author Topic: Aussie hind. mi24 in ADF camo  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Haemon

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Aussie hind. mi24 in ADF camo
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:37:44 AM »
Hello all,

I made a short post in the new members area but would like to say hello again with a quick blurb on me and a build.

Me: I built kits as a kid when introduced to them by my father. Did so for several years till I discovered girls and the need to study for exams in school. Recently re-took up the hobby after a 15 year or so absence after the very kind missus bought me a kit for Christmas and the affliction returned. I spent some time hacking away at cheap kits to get my eye back in while hoarding away expensive ones which I usually had a concept for.

While there are a number of unfinished and awful builds before this one, it was the first to be “completed” to at least my very basic satisfaction.
My apologies to Logan Hartke, as I shamelessly copied his Aussie hind having been wowed when I saw the profile. However I did add my own twist and my own story.
I hope you enjoy and criticism (gentle please!) is welcome as I want to get better.

What I think I got right:
It hasn’t fallen apart. Yet.

What I learnt:
I need to get decals right. I put a gloss coat down, then decalled, then another gloss coat but I can still see the decal film. I have subsequently bought some microsol and microset, and some different gloss coats to try.
The edges to the camo is feathered in some spots and sharp in others. I need to be more consistent with airbrush pressure and angles.
Putty, sand, repeat is something I am not a fan of. I need to research new ways to clean up seam lines that doesn’t turn a hobby in to a chore.

The backstory:
With the sandline saga only a few years previous, the Australian Army began the Air 87 contest for a new armed reconnaissance helicopter to replace the Kiowas and the hueys. Colonel Boz “Bozza” Bogan was tasked with spearheading the new replacement. Like any true Australian he figured why pay more than you have to when you can bodge together a solution that works. Knowing that 2 ex-sandline mi24 hinds had been impounded at Tindal Airport, Bozza decided to take a small detachment of experienced maintainers and see what would be required to make the ex soviet union Hinds both airworthy and maintainable from an Aussie perspective.

In the end the following list was drawn up:

Engines – needed to be in the right HP class and preferably already operated by the ADF. Solved by purchasing and retro-fitting chinook T55 engines as fitted to the then current CH-47C flown by the army. This had the added advantage of surprisingly cutting fuel consumption while significantly increasing horsepower for Australia’s hot climate.

Weapons – being very western oriented geo-politically, the weapons fitout needed to be Euro, UK or US in origin. Hellfire and rocket launchers along with a new 20mm cannon in the front ball turret and a new fixed ammunition hold under the cockpit were added

Avionics – cold war era electronics would not do, new cockpits would be needed. MFD displays upfront and new helmets for the rear pilot would enhance Situational awareness.

Rotor blades – technology from the then on track RAH-66 Comanche was used to create a slower turning, quieter five blade rear rotor. Licensed from the Merlin eh-101, the main blades were stronger to handle and use effectively the increased power from the new engines.

Airframe – seeing the work being done in the former soviet union republics to modernise their Hinds, the undercarriage was fixed and room freed up for toolboxes in the old wheelwells to allow for a measure of self deployment when in the field. In addition, the huge cabin was cut in half and a gigantic fuel tank added to significantly increase range, a problem with the original hind models. Since the role was not intended to be one of troop carrying, the downsizing of the cabin was not considered an issue, but still allowed the new choppers to forward deploy with a crew chief in the back and a small supply of spare parts. This gave the new reconnaissance by fire role a sortie rate unmatched by the kiowas and hueys working in tandem.

All work was carried out in Queensland on 24 airframes bought from the Ukraine in a “beef for choppers” deal.
Since the old name of “hind” would not do, the army held a competition to name the new acquisition. While “chopper mcchopperface”, and “Chopper Read” were firm popular vote favourites, the end decision came down in favour of: Taipan.

And so the ARH-87 Taipan was brought in to service.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4656/39582880714_e872086a91_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4657/40249385312_da75781138_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4768/39582923134_507c360827_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4616/39397076775_7361d6a283_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4760/39582902804_d516e52dca_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4656/39397065915_51a378673d_c.jpg

Offline Haemon

Re: Aussie hind. mi24 in ADF camo
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »

ok, i think i got the pics thing sorted!

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:23:35 PM »
My apologies to Logan Hartke, as I shamelessly copied his Aussie hind having been wowed when I saw the profile. However I did add my own twist and my own story.

No apologies necessary! What an entrance! Great build, I especially like the sensor turret above the engine intakes. Inspired. It reminds me of the Kawasaki OH-1 or Tiger. You can see a lot of custom work that went into the model.

Here's the profile in question in case someone didn't see it when I first posted it years ago. I love seeing a profile that I did inspiring someone to put it into plastic. Great work!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
Very nice conversion of your Mil-24 to the Taipan. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 08:05:21 PM »
Hi David and welcome aborad ! :smiley:
Great inspirational profile and great result on your model,I like the extra parts that you have added,the overall look is very credible.I like it!
Alex

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:49:12 PM »
That's a real beauty, David! Love the paint work!

It takes some real skill to build such a great looking helicopter. My hat's off to you!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 03:02:36 AM »
Nice entry. :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 03:31:52 AM »
What a beast! Nicely done on all the modifications/changes. 

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »
Top notch quality!! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
Total RW integrated look with such a finish is soooo convincing.
A most excellent build.  Way cool. 8)

Offline DFZ

• Bitten by the Viper...
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 06:21:54 PM »
Very nice work indeed. :smiley:
"Stick and stones may brake some bones but a 3,57's gonna blow your damn head off!"

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 05:15:45 AM »
Total RW integrated look with such a finish is soooo convincing.
A most excellent build.  Way cool. 8)
Every part of what he said. Brilliant work!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 07:36:12 PM »
Nice build, definitely done Logan's excellent profile justice

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Haemon

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words,

I must admit to a small amount of fanboying to see the original profile artist respond so kindly! thanks Logan.

This does lead me to a protocol/etiquette question, is it poor form to build someone elses idea or profile? should you ask before building? or is any idea fair game?

many thanks.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 06:11:01 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words,

I must admit to a small amount of fanboying to see the original profile artist respond so kindly! thanks Logan.

This does lead me to a protocol/etiquette question, is it poor form to build someone elses idea or profile? should you ask before building? or is any idea fair game?

many thanks.

I don't think it's bad form to build someone else's idea or profile as long as you give them credit. Most seem rather thrilled to see someone take their idea and run with it.

Brian da Basher

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 09:29:56 PM »
Brian summed it up perfectly. Most profile artists love seeing our work "in the flesh", so to speak, even varied interpretations of it. As Brian said, though, just give credit to the original inspirational works and artists for their role in its genesis.

Thanks!

Logan

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 01:49:28 AM »
I totally agree with what Brian and Logan said.
Alex

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 05:42:34 AM »
Just brilliant.  What a way to start. Nice.

8)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 07:17:48 AM »
Ah!  I've only just spotted this - WOW!!  Very nice work, well done!

And you too Logan - great profile!!

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 05:59:26 AM »
very nice