Author Topic: S.B.S. Model FIAT G.50 Freccia  (Read 4630 times)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
S.B.S. Model FIAT G.50 Freccia
« on: June 09, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
The FIAT G.50 Freccia (Arrow) designed by Giuseppe Gabrielli (1903-1987) was the first Italian low-wing monoplane fighter with enclosed cockpit & retractable landing gear, the majority built with open cockpits in response to strident pilot objections regarding the alleged poorly designed enclosed cockpits of the first 45 production aircraft. The main production G.50bis variant with open cockpits saw service with the Regia Aeronautica Italiana, Aviazione Cobelligerante Italiana, Aviazione Cobelligerante Italiana, Finnish Ilmavoimat, Croatian Zrakoplovstvo Nezavisne Dr˛ave Hrvatske, Spanish  Ejército del Aire & Yugoslavian Zrakoplovstvo vojske Kraljevine Jugoslavije WWII air forces; 780-plus production aircraft, prototypes & variants (G.50bis/A Regia Marina Aquila aircraft carrier fighter, G.50ter, G.50V/G.51 Daimler-Benz DB 601-powered, G.50A/N night fighter & G.50B two-seat advanced trainers) built between 1937 and 1942.

The 2018-vintage S.B.S. Model SBS-7017 FIAT G.50 Freccia ‘Regia Aeronautica’ kit is the first of a series of 1/72 scale G.50 kits along with the SBS-7018 ‘Finish Air Force’, SBS-7019 G.50bis ‘Regia Aeronautica’, SBS-7020 G.50bis ‘German & Croatian Air Force’ kits featuring common resin, white metal & etched brass parts with different water decals, SBS-7018 featuring different 12.7mm machine gun & mount castings. Featuring detail rich well casted resin parts the S.B.S. kits are the best available of the G.50 in 1/72 scale though large upper fuselage-wing root & engine mount gaps necessitated considerable puttying & sanding work. The fuselage to engine cowling machine gun trough mount part for my build came up short on the fuselage side though the unpainted assembled S.B.S. model shows a perfect fit, highly disconcerting given I’d painted & glued together engine parts & cowling in place onto the fuselage beforehand! At over U.S. $45 the kit is expensive so chose to build only SBS-7017 in 150 Squadriglia colors & markings with Humbrol, Model Master & Testors enamels with Polyscale acrylics for weathering.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:12:29 PM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: S.B.S. Model FIAT G.50 Freccia
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »
Nice camouflage scheme.  Also nice work again overall.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 07:06:05 PM »
Superb work, love the camo  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 10:23:37 PM »
Great job! :smiley:

And another who appreciates how well you do those Italian camo schemes. 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 01:11:29 AM »
That's some fantabulous mottling!
 8)
Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 02:02:51 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 02:40:23 AM »
Beautifully built and superbly rendered.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Next Up...
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
...the 1/72nd Scale SEM Model FIAT G.12T:

The resin kit is slightly smaller than a Boeing B-17, challenge to build as well. The one-piece main wing castings absolutely must be securely attached to the fuselage, lathering them up with cyanoacrylate glue just isn't going to cut it, must fabricate attachments for them, still studying how so. Am not going to super-detail the fuselage interior, cost involved obtaining passenger seats et. al. associated parts not worth it never mind lotta time involved in getting them well as fabricating others. I'm going to build G.12T M.M.60673 "606-2" in FIAT factory-applied Schema C1A Mimetico good multi-view color photos of which readily available via the Internet. This is going to be a "slow build" though nevertheless want to get it done by month's end so can get to the Xotic cum Aviation-USK FIAT RS.14 floatplane itself just if not more of a "bear" to build.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
very nice.  great job on the camo

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »
G.12T wings deep enough to allow a couple holes to be drilled for rods to be run from one wing through the fuselage into the other wing?  That would certainly strengthen the join as well as spread the load.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 12:03:46 AM »
G.12T wings deep enough to allow a couple holes to be drilled for rods to be run from one wing through the fuselage into the other wing?  That would certainly strengthen the join as well as spread the load.

Yes they're plenty deep. Fuselage rod run-throughs is likely what I'll do though don't have large enough drill bits. I'd like to get by with two 1/4-inch rods, ask old neighbor friends if I could use their drills & bits for the job, will report on this later.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Next Up...
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 04:12:58 AM »
...the 1/72nd Scale SEM Model FIAT G.12T ...

Very cool subject! Sounds like there'll be plenty of challenges but well worth the effort  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
G.12T Fuselage-Main Wings Joins Issue Report...
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 05:41:59 AM »

Yes they're plenty deep. Fuselage rod run-throughs is likely what I'll do though don't have large enough drill bits. I'd like to get by with two 1/4-inch rods, ask old neighbor friends if I could use their drills & bits for the job, will report on this later.

Had to buy electric drill & bits, former neighbors not at home to borrow their hardware, needed those I'd bought for any future resin builds requiring power drilling well as for household use. Quarter-inch holes drilled same-size as clear plastic fuselage pass-through pegs, good "dry" fuselage & main wing fits. Major fuselage interior parts painted Humbrol 78 Matt Cockpit Green + Testors Flat White 50/50 mix + 36% White shading replicating Verde Anticorruzione (VM; anti-corrosion green) yesterday, tomorrow will get on with detail fuselage interior assembly & painting work.

FIAT well as Savoia-Marchetti painted fuselage interiors a Grigio (gray) shade, don't have readily available info regarding G.50T MM.60673 interior color so defaulted to VM. Regia Aeronautica Italiana (RAI) aircraft interior colors is a research specialty onto itself for RAI aficionados, paint availability more than anything determining how aircraft were factory painted well as at Servizia Riparazioni Aeromonili e Motori (SRAeM) depots. Reggiane in particular painted interiors of their 2000-series fighter/bombers a green similar to FS 34227, Humbrol 120 Matt Light Green coming closest, dutifully I'd painted the interiors of my models that color but not all, after using up the tin reverted to Humbrol 78, color difference between the two not enough to warrant buying another.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:47:40 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
G.12T Build Update...
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 08:06:53 AM »
June 14, 2019 Update

Two days spent cutting & gluing in fuselage window parts, masking them for spray painting over; kit provided ones mostly too small. new ones cut & fitted, much time spent. Major kit cockpit parts sprayed & glued in place, detail painting them et. al. tomorrow, may glue fuselage halves tomorrow if can complete the work during A.M. This isn't going to be a five-star build by any means, if it comes out competently built will be thrilled.

June 15, 2019 Update

Fuselage interior parts glued in place:

Fuselage halves glued together & putty filled:

Fuselage-Mainwings join dry fitting:

June 16, 2019 Update

Fuselage putty seam filing & sanding complete; molded-in underside airframe ridge extending most of fuselage length required additional spot puttying, extensive filing & standing work; topside seams broke in several places whilst handling the fuselage, glued them back together. Rudder & Tailplane Sails glued in place, seams puttied, sanding them tomorrow.

June 17, 2019 Update

Fuselage rudder & tailplane sails sanded; starboard side fuselage tailplane sail root misaligned, considerable filing & sanding necessary. Entire upper fuselage painted Humbrol 63 Matt Sand + 10% Testors Flat yellow + 36% Flat White shading replicating Giallo Mimetico 3 (GM3), set aside to dry. Fuselage topside seam section & rear starboard side tailplane root imperfections must be puttied, sanded over & repainted, will do that tomorrow well as painting the mainwings. Heavy one-piece resin mainwings precluded gluing them on the fuselage before spraying on GM3 that along with having to extensively handle the assembly whilst spraying on other mimetico colors, fuselage & mainwings will be separately painted before joining them.

June 19, 2019 Update

Schema C1A/C1B Mimetico mottles applied to Mainwings with Humbrol 117 Matt US Light Green replicating Verde Mimetico 3, Model Master 2009 British Crimson + Humbrol 118 US Matt Tan 80/20 mix replicating Marrone Mimetico 2 each with 36% Testors Flat White shading:

June 20, 2019 Update

Fuselage mimetico mottles applied, set aside to dry:

June 21, 2019 Update

All model undersides painted Humbrol 140 Matt Gull Grey + 36% Testors Flat White replicating Grigio Mimetico.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:16:04 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »
Looking very good, and rather heavy.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Re: G.12T Build Update...
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »
June 14, 2019 Update

Two days spent cutting & gluing in fuselage window parts, masking them for spray painting over; kit provided ones mostly too small. new ones cut & fitted, much time spent. Major kit cockpit parts sprayed & glued in place, detail painting them et. al. tomorrow, may glue fuselage halves tomorrow if can complete the work during A.M. This isn't going to be a five-star build by any means, if it comes out competently built will be thrilled.

June 15, 2019 Update

Fuselage interior parts glued in place:

Fuselage halves glued together & putty filled:

Fuselage-Mainwings join dry fitting:

June 16, 2019 Update

Fuselage putty seam filing & sanding complete; molded-in underside airframe ridge extending most of fuselage length required additional spot puttying, extensive filing & standing work; topside seams broke in several places whilst handling the fuselage, glued them back together. Rudder & Tailplane Sails glued in place, seams puttied, sanding them tomorrow.

June 17, 2019 Update

Fuselage rudder & tailplane sails sanded; starboard side fuselage tailplane sail root misaligned, considerable filing & sanding necessary. Entire upper fuselage painted Humbrol 63 Matt Sand + 10% Testors Flat yellow + 36% Flat White shading replicating Giallo Mimetico 3 (GM3), set aside to dry. Fuselage topside seam section & rear starboard side tailplane root imperfections must be puttied, sanded over & repainted, will do that tomorrow well as painting the mainwings. Heavy one-piece resin mainwings precluded gluing them on the fuselage before spraying on GM3 that along with having to extensively handle the assembly whilst spraying on other mimetico colors, fuselage & mainwings will be separately painted before joining them.

June 19, 2019 Update

Schema C1A/C1B Mimetico mottles applied to Mainwings with Humbrol 117 Matt US Light Green replicating Verde Mimetico 3, Model Master 2009 British Crimson + Humbrol 118 US Matt Tan 80/20 mix replicating Marrone Mimetico 2 each with 36% Testors Flat White shading:

June 20, 2019 Update

Fuselage mimetico mottles applied, set aside to dry:

June 21, 2019 Update

All model undersides painted Humbrol 140 Matt Gull Grey + 36% Testors Flat White replicating Grigio Mimetico.

June 23, 2019 Update

Testors Flat White enamel fuselage band & Distintivo di Guerra cross sprayed on rudder; engine cowling interiors & exteriors respectively base painted Humbrol 78 Matt Cockpit Green + Testors Flat White 50/50 mix replicating Verde Anticorruzione & Humbrol 63 Matt Sand + 10% Testors Flat Yellow replicating Giallo Mimetico 3 each shaded 36% Testors Flat White; engines painted Testors Flat Black + 5% Flat White.

June 24, 2019 Update

Landing gear components base painted Testors Flat Aluminum, tires 70:30:10 Testors Flat Rubber, Black, White mix, propeller reverse sides Testors Flat Black + 5% Flat White; considerable resin flash carve-out removal & filing was necessary prior to painting. Engine surface details painted with Testors Flat Aluminum & Model Master 7510 Dark Blue Grey (crankcase housing), propeller shaft holes drilled out to fit propeller parts.

June 25, 2019 Update

Engine cowlings & aileron counterweights fully mimetico painted. Propellers fully painted, obverse blade sides Testors Model Master 2078 RLM 65 Hellblau enamel approximating Regia Aeronautica Italiana specs. Tire hubs painted Testors Flat Aluminum.

June 26, 2019 Update

FIAT A.74 R.C.42 engine mounted on fuselage nose, alignment acceptable following three glue-on tries last after drilling holes, gluing in plastic shaft to hold engine in place. All water decals placed on fuselage & rudder latter subsequently glued on fuselage. Main landing gear struts & tires mud-weathered with Polyscale "Dirt" & "Mud" acrylics, tires subsequently glued on struts. Fuselage will be spray-sealed with Testors Semi-Gloss Clear Lacquer, clear plastic masks removed A.M. tomorrow, spot putty patching may be necessary. Engine exhaust pipes painted a Testors Rust & Steel enamel mix, detailing with Polyscale acrylics tomorrow . All fuselage components will be glued on prior to joining with main wings latter by this weekend.

June 27, 2019 Update

Fuselage fully painted & assembled; several passenger windows needed replacement whilst cleaning others "inside from the outside" with brushes & Q-Tips, FIAT A.74 R.C.42 nose engine cowling lightly weathered then glued on fuselage, exhausts stubs glued on afterwards, radio mast & EZ Line thread replicating antenna wire glued on. Attention turns on final painting & parts assembly of main wings tomorrow, model completion this weekend, watch for photos...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:12:41 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 03:03:51 PM »
Man, that camo! :-*
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
G.12T Mimetico...
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 10:51:51 PM »
Man, that camo! :-*

...FIAT in particular applied Schema C1A/B Mimetico factory camouflage on many of their pre-WWII Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) aircraft till end of 1941 when RAI Tavola X (Table 10) camo specs came into force. Spraying on C1A/B wasn't as difficult as expected, very little mottle respraying was necessary and then just mottles rubbed over whilst handing the parts. I have number of builds yet employing Scheme C1 Serie Mimetico patterns, the SEM Model Savoia-Marchetti S.73 conversion with SUPERMODEL S.81 et. al. donor parts being the first this fall.

The STORMO Magazine website is back up so will resume posting my builds in progress there but will continue posting G.12T build progress photos here well as the finished product. Later in July will post work in progress & finished product photos of my SUPERMODEL FIAT G.55 five-cannon what-if build here well as on STORMO; am contemplating another Macchi C.202 what-if build this summer, stay tuned!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:54:11 PM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 02:49:22 AM »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 04:29:59 AM »
At first I thought that was a decal! Pretty amazing paint work...

Offline elmayerle

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 03:19:48 AM »
At first I thought that was a decal! Pretty amazing paint work...

Ditto

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 06:28:46 PM »
That camo is spectacular  :P :P superb air brush work  8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"