Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - 8x8 Scimitar  (Read 367013 times)

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
Re: Logan's Profiles - Aéronavale Vought F-14A Vagabond
« Reply #775 on: March 19, 2016, 04:42:14 PM »
Excellent job, Logan!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #776 on: March 19, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
Almost the same profile (with a few pixel difference after the jet exhaust) could be a rather-light single-engine fighter, good for the Clémenceau... Will you try ou should I do it?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #777 on: March 19, 2016, 10:40:52 PM »
Almost the same profile (with a few pixel difference after the jet exhaust) could be a rather-light single-engine fighter, good for the Clémenceau... Will you try ou should I do it?
Something like a navalized single-, or twin-, seat Mirage G with a M-53?

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #778 on: March 20, 2016, 11:54:03 AM »
Very nice ... and great backstory  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #779 on: March 23, 2016, 11:45:38 PM »
Thanks, everyone! This was a lot of fun to do, even though I spent way too long writing the backstory for this one.

Nice job, and no doubt LTV would've been very happy to have another export customer besides Imperial Iran.

Yep! And France won't be the last, either...

Go for it, Tophe! I have enough on my play to go modifying the V-507 in that way!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #780 on: March 24, 2016, 01:49:28 AM »
Go for it, Tophe! I have enough on my play to go modifying the V-507 in that way!
Here is the single-engined F-14F, thanks!

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #781 on: March 24, 2016, 01:54:14 AM »
You might want to give it the single-seat treatment while you're at it.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #782 on: March 25, 2016, 02:39:17 AM »
You are very right, sorry: the F-14F is a single-seater:

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #783 on: March 25, 2016, 08:17:09 PM »
nice work Tophe!

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #784 on: March 26, 2016, 03:28:35 AM »
Thanks! But Logan is the one to congratulate of course!

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #785 on: March 27, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »
Thanks! But Logan is the one to congratulate of course!

That is beyond question!!!!

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Now in Czech!
« Reply #786 on: June 28, 2016, 03:26:17 AM »
In case you fit into the overlap on the Venn diagram of people who like my profiles, want to see multiple profiles on a single page in a longer form article instead of forum posts, and people that speak Czech, I've got great news for you!

You can now find a selection of my Viking profiles with the background stories in Czech, curated and translated by Lukáš Visingr!

Radio Dixie: Stuky v bitvě o Midway: Německý design v amerických službách

http://www.radiodixie.cz/clanek/stuky-v-bitve-o-midway-nemecky-design-v-americkych-sluzbach

Thanks,

Logan

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Logan's Profiles - Now in Czech!
« Reply #787 on: July 28, 2016, 03:02:56 AM »
Sorry to be so late to this party. I had typed up a response but it never sent  ::)

Really enjoy these profiles and the colors and squadron emblems and markings. its just like pure sugar to a candy addict. great to see the process broken down especially as I hope to start doing some profiles here sometime. Just really cool all around and I hope to see more of these soon

:-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Marseille's He 100 in plastic
« Reply #788 on: February 03, 2017, 04:02:09 AM »
Here are some great images of a 1/32 scale Special Hobby Heinkel He 100 that David Atkin made, inspired by my Marseille He 100 profile. He posted these to my Facebook wall.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=144.msg38318#msg38318

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #789 on: February 04, 2017, 02:52:21 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #790 on: February 04, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
Very nice!  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Logan's Profiles - Tank Concepts
« Reply #791 on: July 16, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
Yeah, but only loosely, Volkodov. The main thing was that they all used basically the same ammunition. As I remember it, during the fighting in North Africa, French 75 cases and powder were combined with the German AP rounds from the PzKpfw IV's 7.5cm KwK 37 and fired out of the M3 Grant's M2/M3 75mm guns. Interestingly, that means that the 75mm gun used on Chaffees until the 1990s used ammunition of the same dimensions as that of the original 75mm Mle 1897, nearly 100 years old.

The 7.92 caliber of the BESA also struck me as odd. As I understand it, the BESA was just a copy of the Czech ZB-53 and the RAC just never bothered to convert it, considering it to be more trouble than it was worth.

Cheers,

Logan

Just reading through the topic to make sure my "new" idea isn't an already mentioned old one when I saw this post.  I have since read that the UK was looking to replace .303 with 7.92 but as with the earlier 7mm and other plans it never went ahead.  Also as this calibre was being used by RAC which had its own unique logistics systems it was thought that it was not worth the effort to convert the BESA to what was seen as an inferior calibre.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #792 on: July 17, 2017, 11:24:17 AM »
Yeah, the .303 was supposed to be replaced by a rimless round even before WWI (.276 Enfield), but various wars kept getting in the way. In the end, it wouldn't be replaced until 7.62mm NATO came around.

I'm really of two minds about that. First of all, rimless ammunition is certainly more modern and preferable to rimmed ammunition, so—considering the fact that Germany adopted the Patrone 88 in 1888 and Switzerland adopted the 7.5x55mm in 1889—the .303 British was really obsolete the day it was adopted. In fairness, the US would adopt the .30-40 Krag three years later and it wasn't until 1906 that the US got its ammunition act together, but the .303 would continue to give Britain headaches in weapons development for the next 60 years.

That having been said, the .303 served Britain well for that same 60 years, and the Russians still use the 7.62x54mmR round, which is a rimmed rifle cartridge no more advanced than the .303, and there's no sign of them switching anytime soon. The PKM is arguably the best medium machine gun in the world today and it was designed around the 7.62x54mmR, so it can't be that much of a handicap.

Britain probably should've adopted a rimless rifle round prior to WWI, but—in the end—it really didn't matter very much that they didn't.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #793 on: July 17, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »
Yep, the .276 Enfield was apparently a beast of a round designed following experience in the Boer War for long range engagements.  Its failing was high barrel wear and by the time that was sorted WWI was around the corner so there was no time to convert. 

I've actually thought it a shame the UK looked to Europe for their new calibres when the .30-06 was such a nice round and would have simplified so many logistic issues.  The development of the M1917 Enfield in 30-06 from the .303 P14 Enfield would have been the perfect opportunity to make the change at minimal cost.  This would have justified the retention of .30-06 in the Brownings adopted by the RAF, then in turn, the adoption of the Browning by the RAC instead of the 7.92 BESA, then the .50 Browning M2 instead of the 15mm BESA and maybe even seeing the .50 finding its way onto various British aircraft and even warships.  The BREN would have worked better with the .30-06 as well, with most of its development problems coming from adapting it to the rimed .303.

Miles off topic now, sorry.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #794 on: July 17, 2017, 11:19:21 PM »
The BREN would have worked better with the .30-06 as well, with most of its development problems coming from adapting it to the rimmed .303.

Taiwan made a Bren in .30-06 (the T41), so it was very possible.

On the note of the M1917 Enfield, there's a broadening group of shooters that consider the M1917 Enfield to be the finest bolt action battle rifle of WWI, and almost certainly the most underrated. Somewhat accidentally, it combined the best elements of German, British, and American rifles into one fantastic package. From the Germans it got the strong, accurate Mauser action. From the British it got the more ergonomically placed turned down bolt handle for more rapid manipulation of the action and the "short rifle" length at a time when much of the world was still lugging around full length rifles. From the Americans, it got the wonderful .30-06 rimless round. On top of all that, most shooters consider the sights (which it inherited from the Pattern 1913 and 1914 Enfields) to be the best of the period. The Americans liked the sights so much that future American rifles (the M1903A3 Springfield, M1 Garand, and even the M1 Carbine) would use them. A lot of well respected gun channels on YouTube (Forgotten Weapons, C&Rsenal, TFB TV) have been positively glowing on it after running some practical shooting exercises with it.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #795 on: July 18, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »
Quite enjoy Forgotten Guns, particularly because it leaves out the gung ho BS of some other channels.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #796 on: July 18, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »
In that case, check out C&Rsenal.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #797 on: July 18, 2017, 10:51:17 PM »
Thanks will do.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug
« Reply #798 on: April 11, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
I know I haven't been around much, lately, but I recently stumbled across this image on DeviantArt and I thought the idea of an SdKfz 231 halftrack conversion was inspired. The problem was the track system used on the concept, though. It's a Citroën-Kégresse style rubber band track system with a Timken suspension, as used on the American T9E1 halftrack truck converted by Marmon-Herrington. Better choices would have been something like the German halftrack suspensions used on the SdKfz 250 or Maultier.

So, I decided to make a couple of better-looking and more practical alternatives using some images from Tanks Encyclopedia as a starting basis. Normally I'm working with original high-resolution images from line art and am not used to just modifying existing images this way. This is really more up Apophenia's alley. As such, I decided to blatantly rip his presentation style since I was in a thoroughly derivative mode already. Anyway, hopefully you guys enjoy what I cobbled together tonight.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline BigH827

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug
« Reply #799 on: July 13, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »
Those are both nice, but I think the Germans would have gone with the track system of 250 half-track.
But if what your going for is what would they do after 1940 to keep these armored cars useable, then your idea works. The Panzer 1 was on its last legs in 41, so it's running gear as did happen with the Opel Mule, would be put to other uses.
The six wheeled cars did weigh much more than the Panzer 1. So no real extra stress on the roadwheels and tracks.
We are the Borg. Your species will adapt to.....Squarel!