Author Topic: Vickers Valiants, 1/144  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Vickers Valiants, 1/144
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
From the Anigrand resin kits, I got to build two as a commission job. Note the "extra" lil planes.

Alvis 3.1

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Vickers Valiants, 1/144
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »
That explains your "absence" and a very good reason for running silent :)

Nice work on the Valiants!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:35 AM »
Those are simply magnificent, Alvis! I can't tell you what a treat it is for me to see one of these Anigrand kits finally built! They do a lot of interesting subjects in smaller scales.

What were they like to build? Did you come across any issues of note?

I need to save up for one of their 1930s experimental bombers!

Thanks for sharing these amazing builds with us!

Brian da Basher

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:47 AM »
The overall assembly was quite easy. The fit was good, little putty was required, and there were few fit issues. The FD2 had the biggest problems, with the resin being too thin on the wing in a couple spots, and there were actual holes through into the gear bays!

My biggest problem was that the bombers were definite tail sitters, something I'd neglected to even think aboot until the very final stages. By then, it would normally have been way too late to fix it, but I'd dug out the nose gear bays to allow for a nice long stick to be attached as a handle to facilitate painting, and had replaced the ceiling with a piece of sheet styrene. This allowed this truly stupid modeller to hack both planes open and install lead weight at  a point where normally it would have been impossible.

The decals were very nice, no complaints there. The instructions, well, they were awfully sparse, fortunately the way the kits broke down made assembly an easy process, even if the instructons lacked detail.

Alvis 3.1

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:52:25 AM »
Awesome work ! I must admit to being very jealous of you for getting a crack at such expensive kits !

Particularly like the Bristol 188 !  :)  Not often you see one !

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »
I wish the Anigrand kits were cheaper. I have the Welsh Valiant in vacuform in the stash if I want a 1/144 Valiant........