Author Topic: Stridswagn 103 S-Tank without main gun  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
Re: Stridswagn 103 S-Tank without main gun
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2024, 07:26:34 AM »
Maybe a little fennel mast mounted sight or one stolen from here:

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2024, 09:30:45 AM »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2024, 11:07:35 AM »
Why not either a

1) drone control station

or

2) drone jamming station

See also https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/07/28/new-israeli-tank-features-xbox-controllers-ai-honed-by-starcraft-ii-doom/

No!  Mission creep is a cancer!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2024, 12:09:14 PM »
A great place to find homes for orphan parts!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2024, 05:14:44 PM »

Hmmm. One of those looks familiar  ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2024, 08:37:42 PM »

It surely is! Selection and maintenance of the aim is fundamental to success.  ;) :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Story

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2024, 10:01:31 PM »
Why not either a

1) drone control station

or

2) drone jamming station

See also https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/07/28/new-israeli-tank-features-xbox-controllers-ai-honed-by-starcraft-ii-doom/

I meant as it's primary mission. Carry on, tho.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2024, 01:08:54 AM »
In today’s world a scouting vehicle with a mast sight would be very logical. The TOW humvees spent most of their time in overwatch positions.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2024, 01:44:43 AM »
Some repeat/overlap of ideas from this thread
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2024, 10:43:04 AM »
I now have a plan for my M41 Walker Bulldog assault gun. Instead of the StuG 3 casement I was thinking of I’ll use a Strv 103 front end with the 105 gun.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2024, 01:11:56 PM »
You'll probably still need a casemate for the gun - the M41 is just under 6m long and the S-103 is 9 meters.

The gun on an M41 would have its barrel hanging out in a different zip code.

Offline Story

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2024, 09:37:01 PM »
If they can wrap a plane around a 30mm Gatling then they can wrap a tank around a cannon.  8)

Or why not fit the S-tank with a GAU-8/A and use the weapon's exhaust gasses to power a blower on the engine, Mad Max style?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 09:41:11 PM by Story »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2024, 08:17:57 PM »
Not much accomplished this past weekend on the S-Wagn.  I finished sanding the rear hull plate to remove all remaining surface features and discovered that by doing so that I managed to reduce the overall dimensions by about one millimeter which in turn has created a very tiny gap along the top edge of the rear hull.  I should be able to obscure this gap eventually with something but it currently sticks out like the proverbial "sore thumb" to remind me of how easy it can be to really cock things up. 

The shiny spot at the bottom is where the liquid cement bled through and caught my thumb while I was attaching the part.  Fortunately no finger print, just the liquid cement scar to clean up later. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 08:21:30 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2024, 09:24:59 PM »
One more WIP image to add this morning.

I had been trying to find something suitable to place over the hole for the main gun barrel.  My searches up to now for the ideal covering for that bothersome hole had not been successful.  That all changed this morning while I was digging through my stash of miscellaneous bits and pieces.  Years ago while stationed in Germany I had purchased an HO scale ROCO Mini-Tanks tread way bridge kit that included pontoons and the roadway sections.  A neat little kit but definitely not in my area of interest aside from being a source of parts.  I gave the pontoon parts away years ago and kept the tread way parts.  Until this morning the parts had no purpose.  I did a quick fit check and found the tread way parts to be ideal in width and long enough to not be in the way at either end.  I just finished cementing the piece in place and I am happy with how it looks with the tread pattern providing a surface feature over that area of the hull. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 09:26:36 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2024, 10:03:24 PM »
Certainly looks better than plain ol' styrene sheet! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2024, 12:17:23 AM »
The cover looks great.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2024, 12:36:52 AM »
That cover does look good! Like it was intended to be there by design.

For the gap, you could glue a strip of styrene at the bottom. Or an Evergreen (or equivalent) L channel to make it easier to cover the gap.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2024, 05:13:40 AM »
The "L" Channel suggestion would be ideal if I had some of that particular material on hand.  Will have to see if I can craft something to fill the open spaces at the top and bottom for continuity purposes.  I was just happy to have found the bridge part to fill the majority of the space.  If I had found that earlier I would have gone with it first instead of slapping a piece of scrap plastic on the underside and filling the cavity with Squadron green putty brown goo that did work but was rather unsightly when cured.  :smiley:

Also it was rather early this morning when I was working on the S-Wagn.  I could not sleep, was tossing and turning for several hours and opted to get up instead of just laying in bed being miserable, that was around 0130 my time here.  So this was a long day.  I only just crashed 1000 and actually got about three hours sleep so back up at 1330 and now trying to rehydrate.  A great way to start the week off.  Not!   

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2024, 06:54:29 AM »
I had been trying to find something suitable to place over the hole for the main gun barrel.  Years ago while stationed in Germany I had purchased an HO scale ROCO Mini-Tanks tread way bridge kit that included pontoons and the roadway sections

Used these & other HO/OO railway bits too :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2024, 03:45:36 AM »
Sleepless nights suck, Jeff!  But ... you did get a really nice gap-solution out of the deal  :smiley:

The "L" Channel suggestion would be ideal if I had some of that particular material on hand.  Will have to see if I can craft something to fill the open spaces at the top and bottom for continuity purposes...

Could scrap styrene be shaped to resemble those shot-deflecting ridges to either side? I'm thinking those could cover the gaps while seeming to have some function.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2024, 12:02:12 PM »
Not having any of the Evergreen structural plastic available, I used some of the regular Evergreen plastic strips at the top and bottom as suggested.  While not as sharp looking as I would prefer, it will pass the casual first look test. 

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2024, 12:10:02 PM »
Nothing to see here  ;) That worked out great

Offline Kerick

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2024, 04:28:39 PM »
If anyone asks it’s the skid plate for traction when the troop climb up the vehicle from the front.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2024, 04:42:55 AM »

"Mission creep! Mission creep! Mission Creep!!"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2024, 12:57:47 AM »
If anyone asks it’s the skid plate for traction when the troop climb up the vehicle from the front.
Most definitely! :smiley: