Author Topic: Treadhead/Armour Guidance 1 Oct - 30 Nov  (Read 13938 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Treadhead/Armour Guidance 1 Oct - 30 Nov
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »
Armour/Armor – a protective covering that is used to prevent damage from being inflicted to an object, individual or vehicle by direct contact weapons or projectiles, or from damage caused by a potentially dangerous environment or action.

Orientation:  This is the warning order/rules for the 2016 Treadhead/Armour Group Build.  As always, the primary objective is to have fun, share ideas, be creative and have fun.

Situation: As previously set forth by higher headquarters, it is the appointed time and place on the calendar for the Treadhead/Armour Group Build.  Therefore, in keeping with higher’s intent, we will conduct said Group Build with a focus on having fun and sharing in this hobby.

Mission: NET 20161001 00:00:01 (your local time) and NLT 20161130 23:59:59 (your local time) you will locate, close with, and create a project that would be best described as Armored.  Armed/Unarmed projects are both welcome for inclusion.

Execution: Projects can be physical or digital, real or imagined, from any point in time from the moment of the Big Bang to the collapse of the universe into one super-massive singularity.  The only limit is that your project “natural environment” is in contact with the ground (ANY ground).  Legs, skis, wheels and tracks are all acceptable examples of meeting this requirement but are not strictly limiting factors.  Fun must be had while this mission is being conducted. 

Admin & Logistics: Questions, concerns and requests for amplifying instructions should be directed to the moderator. Electronic communication methods are preferred. Written requests will be entertained, but must be filed in quintuplicate and submitted for review thirty (30) days prior to the publishing of this document.  Time travel devices are not, repeat, NOT authorized for use in order to meet this requirement.   

An extension MAY be granted at the whim of the moderator in order to facilitate completion of projects.

Command & Control: Really? With this group?

Armour/Armor – a protective covering that is used to prevent damage from being inflicted to an object, individual or vehicle by direct contact weapons or projectiles, or from damage caused by a potentially dangerous environment or action.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:45:55 PM by LemonJello »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Treadhead/Armour Guidance 1 Oct - 30 Nov
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 11:33:14 PM »
Armour/Armor – a protective covering that is used to prevent damage from being inflicted to an object, individual or vehicle
Is this only for land vehicles and people? or is an armoured aircraft all right? ???

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 11:35:18 PM »
Armour/Armor – a protective covering that is used to prevent damage from being inflicted to an object, individual or vehicle
Is this only for land vehicles and people? or is an armoured aircraft all right? ???

"The only limit is that your project “natural environment” is in contact with the ground (ANY ground).  Legs, skis, wheels and tracks are all acceptable examples of meeting this requirement but are not strictly limiting factors.  Fun must be had while this mission is being conducted.  "

:)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:46:47 AM »
This is one of those rare Group Builds that is focused on the land element ("targets" in aviation parlance)...

A tracked, submersible dive bus

Or

An asteroid ore mining walker

Or

A construction site, powered suit/mecha

would be a few examples that are also in keeping with Moderator's Intent.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:48:48 AM by LemonJello »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:04:05 AM »
Howabout a translation for the people who don't speak Pentagon/mil-jargon?  ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:54:22 AM »
OK, of course I have 2 armour builds on the go right now & both are well past the "Can I please include this, sir?" stage of construction (one's at final weathering stage). ::)

Luckily, I have 3 more armour kits stacked by the table waiting to be started! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Crbad

• I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »
Should we submit build threads in SALT/SALUTE format?
What kind of resistance can we expect along the avenue of approach?
Phase lines?
Is there an ORP? LOA?
Command and Control: All build activity will be conducted in accordance with the whims of swmbo.
Craig's Bureau of Aeronautics Design: Shoddy engineering and marginal skill for the undiscerning modelling enthusiast.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
OK, of course I have 2 armour builds on the go right now & both are well past the "Can I please include this, sir?" stage of construction (one's at final weathering stage).
Please post those builds in the inspiration thread!

Should we submit build threads in SALT/SALUTE format?
You should follow local SOPs in regards to format, as long as fun is had in the process.

What kind of resistance can we expect along the avenue of approach?
Unknown. Depends on SWMBO/CinC Home's mood regarding unplanned, but vitally needed acquisitions of kits, aftermarket parts and supplies.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
Said well Mr. LemonJello  :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »
OK, of course I have 2 armour builds on the go right now & both are well past the "Can I please include this, sir?" stage of construction (one's at final weathering stage).
Please post those builds in the inspiration thread!

Builds are currently active in the Physical Models: Land forum under the Scimitar Down-Under thread, a FV521AS Warrior 90mm Recce/Fire Support Vehicle thread will commence soon.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 06:42:37 AM »
Can we start now...please

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 07:40:49 AM »

You may start when the clock strikes midnight on 1 Oct 2016 in the timezone you currently occupy.  I won't be deducting points if anyone gets a little head start.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 09:34:26 AM »
Now to figure out what to build. I am leaning towards an IDF M46 Patton.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
Now to figure out what to build. I am leaning towards an IDF M46 Patton.

I'd like to see that.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 09:55:44 AM »

You mean start Meow?
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 04:30:42 AM »
Would something without tacks (e.g. that shown below) count?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:35:14 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 10:24:46 AM »
Why not? :D

If you take armoured warfare back far enough, it's some rich bugger sitting on a horse, both of them covered in plate-armour & chain-mail, carrying a rather nasty assortment of death-dealing devices.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
Would something without tacks (e.g. that shown below) count?

Official Verdict: I'll allow it! 

The tracks/treads are not a mandatory element, in my opinion.  Wheels, skis, feet, hooves, all qualify as long as there is armor/armour involved - so a mounted knight or a Mobile Infantry Trooper would be accepted as well as horse drawn war wagons or chariots.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 07:39:29 PM »
We've reached the half-way point in the Treadhead/Armour Group Build

So many great entries/projects started/in progress/completed.  Bravo Zulu to all!

There's still plenty of time to start a project of your own, or a 2nd...3rd...etc...

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 11:05:41 PM »
And I still can't find my Matilda!  Though there is a now 1/35 Tamiya one at the only hobby store in the territory, I wonder if I would get away with smuggling it home.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 11:23:41 PM »
You can only try, mate! ;)

Wishing you all the luck you'll need & then some! :) :)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 08:41:31 PM »
Two (2) Weeks Remaining Until Cessation of this Group Build

Keep those projects rolling toward the final objective.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 01:51:12 AM »
Well I give up on this one too, my step daughters boyfriend has just moved in so now we have four adults, three children, three dogs, three cats and two parrots in one four bedroom, single living area suburban house.  I thought it was bad enough trying to find space for the hobby before, now there is no hope, especially as we live in the tropics and its too hot to set up outside or in the garage (which is full of moving boxes and things we don't have space for in the house). 

Its a cyclone zone too so no affordable option to build a granny flat or extension, not that the yard is big enough anyway, I really really really want my old five bedroom / four plus an air-conditioned studio, two living area (each about 50% bigger than our current single living area) house back.  We still own it, its being rented out to the step daughters ex, and its in the same city that has a very nice $100-120k job waiting for me (i.e. where I used to work) but it doesn't fit my wifes career so we will never live there again.  Instead, as I have said, "if not Adelaide then Melbourne is the next best option because its affordable and I have a lot of family and friends there, as well as employment opportunities", we will probably move to Sydney, NZ or F...ing Vietnam, because it better suit my wifes career.

At least I get to see the excellent work you guys produce and reminisce about when I had time, space and money for my hobby (well hobbies, I used to do target shooting, scuba dive and ride too).

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 04:56:42 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Volkodav.  I can commiserate with you; I'm splitting time between my basement "apartment" outside DC for work and the family still in North Carolina.  We're waiting for the girls to finish out the school year before (hopefully) selling our house and relocating to the northern Virginia area where the youngest will start high school. The older two will both be in college at that point (freshman and junior years).

I've packed a couple kits and supplies to work on at the work domicile, but very little progress is being made.  I need to change that, and get back to building since I have some time on my hands right now.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »
Sorry about the whinge but it is so frustrating to have so much in the stash I want to build, the time to do it, but nowhere to do it.  One day.......