Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 933475 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1475 on: February 04, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »
Great new profiles! :-*
Google finds no CEMA test center, but on the what-if planet this is different all right. In France "AA test center" is more "centre de test de l'AA" than "AA test centre", but who knows on the what-if planet? ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #1476 on: February 05, 2017, 03:17:25 AM »
Great new profiles! :-*
Google finds no CEMA test center, but on the what-if planet this is different all right. In France "AA test center" is more "centre de test de l'AA" than "AA test centre", but who knows on the what-if planet? ;)

Tophe: You are quite right about CEMA Villacoublay. The 'real' CEMA was called the Centre d'Essais des Matériels Aériens. CEMA was the predecessor to the modern Centre d'essais en vol (CEV) or Flight Test Centre at Brétigny-sur-Orge (opened in August 1945).

For anyone interested, there was also the Centre d'expertise aérienne militaire established at Reims in 1933. CEAM withdrew to North Africa after the armistice. After the Germans were driven out, CEAM relocated to Mont-de-Marsan (Base aérienne 118). In September 2015, CEAM was renamed the Centre d'expertise aérienne militaire.

http://www.landes.gouv.fr/centre-d-experiences-aeriennes-a1375.html
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1477 on: February 07, 2017, 01:12:25 AM »
Thanks for these explanations. Just yesterday, I encountered this Center code (in "Le Trait d'Union" Magazine, Jan-Feb 2017 issue), that I would not have noticed witout you, thanks!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1478 on: February 08, 2017, 01:57:14 AM »
Thanks for that Tophe. The SFCA Lignel 10 was an interesting little bird ... too bad that its requirement was dropped. Have you ever seen a photo of the Lignel 10?

For those interested, 3-view drawings of the SFCA Lignel 10, Lignel 20, and Lignel 30 can be seen here:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6554864q/f86.highres

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1479 on: February 08, 2017, 02:00:16 AM »
The Bell 'Export Fighter' in France

(Top) A captured Bell Model-14F-2 in Luftwaffe markings. This fighter has had its French markings covered in a mix of RLM 71 Dunkelgrün and RLM 65 Hellblau paints. Yellow panels are artifacts of having been taken over briefly by the Ergänzungsstaffel (Replacement Squadron) of JG 51 at Cazaux. But the Bell fighter was quickly transferred to the Erprobungskommando 9 (Eroberte feindliche Kampfflugzeuge), a Luftwaffe unit that evaluated captured enemy aircraft.

EKdo 9 (EfK) flight testing of the Model-14F-2 at Rechlin-Roggenthin was rather perfunctory. The airframe was then disassembled to study American construction techniques. Note that 'weiß fünf' has been fitted with a German Revi gunsight and FuG 7 radio set.

(Bottom) A Bell Model-15F-1 of GC III/1 while based at Chantilly-Les Aigles in May 1940. The Allison-powered Model-15F-1 was armed with six FN-Browning mle 1938 machine guns (with two synchronized to fire through the propeller disc).

Flown by Sous/Lieutenant du Boucher, this aircraft was lost to FlaK while straffing a German column in the forest of Compiègne. Slt du Boucher was killed in the ensuing crash. Adjudant-Chef Gagnaire was also shot down on this mission but survived and managed to rejoin his squadron.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1480 on: February 08, 2017, 02:04:29 AM »
Have you ever seen a photo of the Lignel 10?
Sorry, in the magazine are just photographs of the Lignel 16, 20, 30.

(Bottom) A Bell Model-15F-1 of GC III/1 while based at Chantilly-Les Aigles in May 1940. The Allison-powered Model-15F-1
Your 15F-1 is very beautiful :-* :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1481 on: February 11, 2017, 04:35:56 AM »

With the Fall of France, Bell Model-15Bs were diverted to the UK and brought up to British standards. The Bell Model-15F Belleau became the Bellona in RAF service. [1] Despite desperate need, the Bellona was not issued as a day fighter. Instead, the Allison's low-altitude rating restricted the Model-15s to use by Army Co-operation squadrons.

Most of the RAF Bells were Bellona Mk.I and Mk.Ia types which flew reconnaissance duties with the Army Co-operation squadrons. The AC squadrons also received a small number of Bellona Mk.IIs - an 'Anglicized' Model-15F3 'Bouleuse' - armed with twin, underwing 20mm Hispano-Suiza cannons. [2]

The first Bellonas joined Lysanders of No.26 Squadron which went to RAF Lympne upon their return from France. Understrength due to combat losses, No.26 was reinforced by Free French aircrew from No. 1 School of Army Cooperation at Old Sarum. One such pilot was Adjudant HJ Bouquillard who joined No.26 from No. 41 OTU. Flying the Bellona Mk.II, Adj. Bouquillard helped pioneer what would later become know as 'Rhubarb' missions over northern France.

(Top) Bellona Mk.II BE748 of No.26 Sqn. This aircraft was hit by FlaK while 'barge busting' in the Port of Boulogne. Henri Bouquillard was killed when his fighter came down in the outskirts of Boulogne-sur-Mer.

It was not until Spring of 1941 that Bell received its first 'short reduction-gear' Allison, the 1,150 hp V-1710-F3R. Installed in a Model-15B4 airframe, this combination was offered to the RAF as the Model-16B1. This was accepted by the British as the Bell Bellicose. Under Lend-Lease, the Model-16 had first to be taken into US service. Accordingly, the prototype was tested by the US Army Air Corp in May 1941 as the XP-45A. [3]

(Bottom) The prototype XP-45 (Model 16U) performing USAAC flight testing at Wright Field, late May 1941.

[1] The name was taken from Bellona (aka Duellona), the Roman Goddess of War.

[2] The majority of Model-15F3 were still being built. These aircraft were completed as Bellona Mk.III photo-recce aircraft armed with only the two cowl machine guns.

[3] The Bell Model-15B2 had already been briefly evaluated by the Air Corps as the XP-45.

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #1482 on: February 11, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Apophenia,
I am LOVING these Bell profiles and I am really glad you have returned to World War II era aircraft profiles!  I think the Bellona Mk. II is my favoriate, but I also really like the French 15F-1.  Keep it up!!

Chuck

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1483 on: February 11, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
The Bellona's look neat! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1484 on: February 11, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
Apophenia, I do love your Bell invented ones :-* I will probably transform them into Mustang derivatives but it is hard to choose the best one among so many marvels... :)

Offline Glanini

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #1485 on: February 11, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »
Wonderful Bells, your NMF is amazing, just love it  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1486 on: February 11, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
Apophenia, I do love your Bell invented ones :-* I will probably transform them into Mustang derivatives but it is hard to choose the best one among so many marvels... :)
Here is the (beautiful) source of the Mustang 51D design, I guess: ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1487 on: February 13, 2017, 10:48:29 AM »
Thanks folks. And very nice Tophe! The story continues ...

Bell 'Export Fighters' -- the Next Generation

The RAF began receiving the improved Bell Model-16 Bellicose in early Spring of 1942. These fighters had the Allison V-1710-F3R engine and four wing-mounted 0.5-inch Browning machine guns. This heavier armament prompted the RAF to dispatch Bellicose fighters to the Western Desert where they replaced the Curtiss Tomahawks on ground attack duties.

(Top) Bell Bellicose F.Mk.Ia (Model-16B-2) flown by P/O Clive Caldwell, 250 Sqn, Desert Air Force, April 1942

The RAF Bellicose were supplied under Lend-Lease. But some were held back for use by the US Army Air Force as P-45As (Model-16U-1) and given the name Bataan. The P-45B Bataan was built to full USAAF standards and differed primarily in US-specified equipment details. The Bataan had a good reputation but P-45 development potential suffered from a US decision to allocate Packard-built Merlin engines exclusively to Curtiss in an attempt to maximize P-40F performance.

(Bottom) Bell P-45B Bataan (Model-16U-2) flown by Major BK Holloway, 23rd FG, China, November 1942

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1488 on: February 13, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
Flying Tigers would have been sexy! :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1489 on: February 17, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
Merlin-engined Bell Export Fighter in Britain

There were Bell fighters with Merlin engines. The first was an ex-French Model-14F Belleau which had evacuated to Britain. First used as a familiarization trainer with No. 41 OTU, the abcense of HS-12Y spares soon rendered this Belleau inoperable. It was stripped of usable airframe parts as Bellona spares during the Battle of Britain. The fuselage was then transferred to Rolls-Royce Hucknall for conversion to Merlin powerplant.

The 'Merlin-Bellona' stalled as the Civilian Repair Organisation at Hucknall detailed to do the job was overwhelmed with higher-priority Hurricane refurbishment and conversion work. Eventually, the engineless fuselage was shipped to Boulton Paul Aircraft at Wolverhampton where Blackburn Roc production was now complete.

Boulton Paul installed a Merlin X in the Model-14F fuselage using Defiant Mk.II fittings. The fuselage was then returned to Hucknall were it was fitted with spare components taken from Bellona airframes under repair. The Rolls-Royce Flight Test Establishment at Hucknall soon found that, with its new 1,260 hp powerplant, the re-engined Bell was a much better performer. However, Rolls-Royce was not in a position to supply Merlins for widespread Bellona re-engining and the USAAF was not willing to supply Packard V-1650s to Bell.

(Top) The 'Merlin-Bellona' hybrid about to be with with a Merlin 32. Note this aircraft carries no RAF serial and its tail flash colours are reversed (both to accommodate French sensibilities, perhaps). The 'Merlin-Bellona' combined Model-14F fuselage with PR Bellona wings (and canopy). The exact origin of the replacement tail surfaces was not recorded. Note that a small fin fillet has been added (indicating some directional control issues).

Merlin-engined Bell Model-16 in the US

One Bell fighter was re-engined with a Merlin in the US but not a V-1650. In the Spring of 1943, the concept of re-engining Bell fighters with Merlins was revisited by the RAF. In the revised scheme, Bell would export 'bare' Model-16 airframes to be fitted with 2-stage Merlin 61s in Britain. As a proposed Lend-Lease project, the re-engined Bell was delivered to the USAAF as the sole XP-45F 'Merlin-Bataan'.

Based on a long-fuselage P-45E airframe, the XP-45F flew well and was faster than the Allison-powered Bataans. Still, the US policy of V-1650 allocation remained and Rolls-Royce found itself incapable of producing sufficient Merlin 61s to satisfy both Spitfire IX production and Bell Model-16s.

(Bottom) XP-45F 'Merlin-Bataan' in USAAF markings while on loan back to Bell in late 1943. Although the 'Merlin-Bataan' itself was a non-starter, the airframe was used for a trial conversion using the 'bubble' canopy from the British Hawker Typhoon. The white 'X' on the rudder may be an 'experimental' marking.

« Reply #1490 on: February 17, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
Really enjoying these Bells. Please continue.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1491 on: February 18, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
Any chance of some post war Reno racer versions?  Maybe also some Soviet ones?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #1492 on: February 18, 2017, 11:18:59 PM »
Just getting caught up now and oh my are your Bell permutations delightful!

I can't decide which one I like best, but the RAF and USAAC NMF versions are pure eye candy!

Great stuff!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1493 on: February 19, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »
The XP-45F is very beautiful too! :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1494 on: February 20, 2017, 08:02:48 AM »
Thanks folks!

...  Maybe also some Soviet ones?

Wait for it ...

Bell P-45 Testbeds

There were two other Bell Export Fighters with major modifications. The first was a USAAF P-45E fuselage modified to take an experimental Continental XI-1430 'Hyper' engine. A trial installation was completed but development work on Continental's inverted V-12 was abandoned. As a result, this airframe was never fully assembled.

There are two puzzles over the Continental-powered Bell. One is why a USAAF experimental designation was never applied (Bell assigned Model-25 to this airframe but there is no record of an 'XP' designation). The second is why a nose-mounted radiator was used when the XI-1430 was over 200 lbs heavier than the Allison V-1710. It's possible that Bell intended to extend the fuselage to provide a larger fuel tank.

The second major modification resulted in the Bell Model-28/XP-45L 'Super Bataan' prototype. At a glance, the XP-45L differed from a standard Bataan by its squared-off tailplane and lengthened radiator bath. A more important difference was the application of a completely new laminar-flow wing tho this modified P-45G. The XP-45L was a success but further development led to the superior Bell Model-28/P-76 Bastion.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #1495 on: February 20, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
Those tiny tails are giving me a bit of a Ki-44 vibe.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1496 on: February 20, 2017, 12:16:03 PM »
Thanks for the XP-45L invention, looking so much like a Mustang :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1497 on: February 20, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
Those tiny tails are giving me a bit of a Ki-44 vibe.

Funny you should mention the tiny tails, Logan. Late-model P-45s received larger fins and rudders...

Bell Export Fighters in Far-Away Lands

(Top) Bell Model-16G (P-45G-5BE) of the Soviet VVS' 19th GIAP in East Karelia, 1943. 'White 4' has been newly transferred to this operational squadron from the 5th PIAP (ferry unit). Note continued use of factory-painted roundels (normally soon overpainted in Soviet service).

(Bottom) "Any Place, Any Time, Any Where." Bell P-45J-1CU of the 1st Air Commando Group flying in support of the Chindits in Burma. Like all 1ACG aircraft, 'Mrs. Virginia' was a hand-me-down ... which shows in her heavily-retouched camouflage (42 Medium Green patching over 41 OD). Note the flared exhaust pipes - a handy recognition feature for Curtiss-built Bataans.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:44:10 PM by apophenia »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1498 on: February 20, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
Outstanding.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #1499 on: February 20, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »
Way nice fighter. :)
Thought I would heard of these already.