Author Topic: Gingie's Build Thread  (Read 198143 times)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
Re: Gingie's Build Thread
« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
Why, I do believe it did! Around 3"x8" rectangles, maybe .040 thick?

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »
:) I used to get the white version when I was in Germany, had Xerox box or more of it by the time I returned stateside.  Then I discovered that they were using the yellow plastic at a place I visited several times in the Washington D.C. Navy Yard.  Never stocked up on it but it there were hundreds of pieces of the stuff stacked up all over the place waiting for someone to "recycle it"
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2013, 01:03:24 PM »
Been remiss at following-commenting on all armor builds  :-[
I'm impressed with how much scratch building went into Grizzly.  You imagineered a cool piece of armor  :-*
10x10 is going together is same realistic looking manner.  Keep posting  :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »
I am loving these 10 wheels! Really makes me want to try something similiar. Made it look easy too  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
I sort of like these types of vehicles, but they seem to me to be quite top heavy but whether they actually are I wouldn't know ---

Are they available in 1/72 scale, need a couple or four to pose with my CC-177 ---

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2013, 12:58:33 AM »
Looking absolutely great.  :)

But where is this multi-road-wheel thing going to stop or will you eventually give us one of the Amtrak War Road Trains?  ;D
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
I had a sizable stash of the yellow sheets a number of years ago acquired from a Mr. Beldam of Cdn Forces fame. All used by now, but I do remember how nice it was to use for scratchbuilding.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Truly some works of art in this thread!

I'm wondering though if the LAV-10 might not need the rear axle to counter steer? It looks like the long wheelbase will drag wheels or demand a very large turning circle.

I'm almost out of the styrene from Int Section myself, I really should have loaded up all I could carry... but I "thought" I had a lifetime supply!

Offline Gingie

« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2013, 10:52:45 PM »

I'm wondering though if the LAV-10 might not need the rear axle to counter steer?

The real ones do in fact have a steerable rear axle. Swedish LAV 10x10 Coastal Artillery Command post has em. A fact pointed out to me after I CA'd the suspension in place  :-[

The technology is there to have future wheeled LAV be able to do pivot turns.

I just thought of something, when a LAV-UP weighs 60,000 lbs, at what point do we drop the "L" in LAV?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2013, 11:22:07 PM »
. A fact pointed out to me after I CA'd the suspension in place  :-[

As you have superglued them, some debonder would un-glue it ----

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: LAV 10x10
« Reply #285 on: December 08, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »
I thought I had seen every LAV, but that's a new one! I wonder if it has spades at the rear a-la M-109?

That's the Denel-LIW LEO-105. No rear spades ... there's a roughly side view on this old page: http://www.casr.ca/bg-artillery-fifs-105mm.htm

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2004armaments/04_Vickory_105mm_Indirect_Fire.pdf
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2013, 10:34:42 AM »
I just thought of something, when a LAV-UP weighs 60,000 lbs, at what point do we drop the "L" in LAV?

Probably at about the same time they begin to completely out-weigh MBT's. ;D

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

« Reply #287 on: December 29, 2013, 06:43:18 AM »
I picked up a Revell Puma to become a Canadian Army Close Combat Vehicle (CCV). In the early stages of the real world project (now recently cancelled), the Puma was a contender, with an option for the turret to be built in Canada.

I reckoned a LAV-III turret would make sense from a training / logistics perspective, and so built the kit lower hull OTB and was getting ready to work on the turret, until I placed it on the hull that is. I knew the Puma was big, but it practically dwarfs the LAV-III turret.

I'm going to put this one back on the shelf until I get a better idea for the turret. I may just go OTB! BTW, this revell kit fits quite nicely given the complexity of the hull engineering. Details a little softer, but this is a great weekend slammer kit.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #288 on: December 29, 2013, 07:18:50 AM »
might look better with the full turret not just the upper half ??  Maybe widen & lengthen it with some plasticard - a bit of work but straight forward if there's a clear area to make clean cuts without destroying detail ?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #289 on: December 29, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »
I can't help but wonder what a surplus Leopard C2 turret would look like on it.

Actually on second thoughts the turret off the M-8 AGS may look good, or possibly the M-8 turret rejigged for Bofors 57mm or Oto Melara 76mm naval guns
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:25:55 PM by Volkodav »

Offline Claymore

« Reply #290 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
Regarding your concerns, the LAV -III turret still looks bigger than the original Puma turret as it seems to overlap quite a bit of the upper hull detail.  Just how big a turret do you need?  Also I take it the lower hull still has to have its outer road-wheels fitted.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #291 on: December 29, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
I think a Leopard turret would look pretty decent... and I have one in the spares pile. Probably come out a bit like an Argie TAM:

Claymore  - the Puma turret is quite a bit larger than a LAV turret, despite the Puma's being unmanned:

I try to leave the outer road wheels off when I have to fix the track before painting, as it makes painting the track a little easier.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
Ah yes, point taken.  The pictures I have of the Puma do not really do justice to the full size of its turret - it is somewhat on the big side.  :-[

Good idea with the road-wheels, I may well give that a go myself (well for those kit-bashes where the wheels are not already fully made up). Thanks.  :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #293 on: December 29, 2013, 10:42:02 PM »
Try a Bradley turret?  ???
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Gingie

« Reply #294 on: December 29, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
Oh yeah, if I didn't know better, based on the pic above, I'd have said my LAV-III turret was 1/48 on a 35th Puma. It really is a surprisingly large vehicle.

The factory turret is kind of growing on me. I was going to use it on a Boxer, but I think I will leave it on the Puma. As for cam, I was thinking something along the lines of tan/brown/green like the Elysium Raven ship.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #295 on: December 29, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »
Fingers crossed the new government doesn't kill off Project Land 400 to replace the RAAC M113 APC, I believe the Puma is a contender and would look great in Australian cam.

I do like the Turret as well but wonder if it could house a bigger gun, I believe a number of Bushmasters were designed to be increased in calibre as required, 30-400mm and 35-50mm if I remember correctly, Puma uses a Mauser doesn't it?

Offline Gingie

« Reply #296 on: December 30, 2013, 12:28:18 AM »
It's a 30mm - not sure of the manufacturer. I think the Germans went with a 30 because it can still be belt fed (vice mag fed like CV9040 etc). Belt fed is a plus in an unmanned turret as more ammo can be made 'ready to fire'. A mag fed gun in an unmanned turret... crew would have to dismount every 10-20 rounds to change the mags.

I'm not sure if the LAV-UP (Canadian LAV-III replacement) retains the 20mm gun. I think it does.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #297 on: December 30, 2013, 03:43:58 AM »
This is the first time I've really seen the Puma ... like others the size is surprising. I love the standard turret too, looks good and has many potential swap uses too I'd bet.

The new MENG Bradley turret with all the add ones might work size wise, but the Leopard also sounds like a good fit. Can't wait to see where you go with this .....

As an aside I'll be honest and I can't quite reconcile the current move to bigger and bigger infantry APC, FSV and patrol vehicles. Huge targets, heavy,  difficult to maneuver and conceal, mine and IED protection certainly, until someone uses bigger explosives.

cheers
Brent

Offline Gingie

« Reply #298 on: December 31, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »
Built the lower hull of a Bandai M61A5 yesterday, thing fits like a dream. Possibly the best fitting kit I've ever made.  No pics yet, instead, here's what I built today; Tamiya 2A5 lower and AFV Club MGS turret.

Tamiya fits beautifully with no putty and a slight bit of filing. I spent more time gouging the road wheels than assembling the hull. Could not say the same regarding quick assembly of the MGS turret. Talk about parts for the sake of parts. I will say however that the fit of the MGS turret was quite good and the detail is for sure there, but the parts count was working against me today. I left the gun off as I plan on using the Leopard's 120mm or something more sci-fi.

I may pop the MGS turret off the 2A5 and use on it a Boxer. It looks like too little turret for too big a tank. I reckon this would be one of the fastest Leopards with such a weight reduction. If I do plonk the MGS on to something else, I might try a Gepard Mk II turret for the 2A5 hull...hmm...

.50 cal with almost as many parts as the real one. Damn macro showing all the sprue nubs! 

Vivian, the roadwheel chewing hamster,  makes his first appearance since the Rhodesian T-55 of so many years ago
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:20:28 AM by Gingie »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #299 on: December 31, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
Vivian.. guffaw.

Liking what I see on all the above.. Really love the autoloader/automated type turret setup on almost anything.. but this is really nice