Author Topic: HP Hartlepool - Finished With Pictures !  (Read 4477 times)

HP Hartlepool - Finished With Pictures !
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:27:40 PM »
Another where I think I lost the original post (its been so long now) .

It's a HP Hampden conversion still in progress. Now with THIS one I do remember the backstory, but its written in crayon on the loo wall so it'll take time to transfer it across.

Some WIP photos. Hopefully it will not take 3 years to finish this one.

Ciao

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:31:04 PM by Modelling_Mushi »
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: HP Hartlepool
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »
Now that's a BFG! Which tank kit did that gun barrel come from?

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 02:33:51 PM »
Front end from a 1/48 Merkava; back end from a 1/35 KV-1
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:42:13 PM »
Such a deal that Hampden configuration lends itself to kitbashing in guns like this.  And you saw it.  Am liking.  :smiley:
Appears first use of a flak type tail gun.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 05:45:13 AM »
Looking good! So this BFG is of recoilless type?

BTW: Great type name  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:14:21 AM »
Buku Boom Boom right there :o

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:55:42 AM »
Yet another stunning testament to the fact that you can never have too much firepower!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 02:00:26 AM »
Bigger gun than what I sketched up:

Looking forward to seeing this finished. :smiley:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 04:56:22 AM »
This is cool! Did you reverse the wings? And tail?

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:48 AM »
Frank3k, yes, I inverted everything from the tailplane forwards ...

Offline finsrin

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
Looking-thinking considering the flipping swapping of parts kinda messes with eyes and mind.  Good moves  :smiley:

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »
Thats gonna be a freaking mother of a tankbuster!  :o  ;D
Great idea to turn everythng upside down.  :smiley:

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »
Ok it's been a while what with getting the novel drafted and all that but, thanks to the lockdown, some progress. Oh and also the fact I think I'm less finicky now too which helps.

I thought what's better than one big gun? Of course, TWO big guns  :D . So, here she is with some war paint on and waiting some odds and sods, happy snaps from the mobile. Trying for a weathered appearance, back story later on.

Ciao

Offline PlasticMasticator

• Total Mindphuq
  • Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 07:50:34 PM »

Just love the Hampden and still dream of a mainstream kit in 1/48 (the execrable FM kit will not be remotely considered).

My apologies as I feel I've strayed into territory already occupied. The flipped fuselage is eye-watering...took me a while to get it. Looking forward to seeing the completed kit.

Another reason why I need to switch to 1/72 for larger a/c....choice, cost etc etc.
"When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent"

Asimov

Re: HP Hartlepool - Nearly There, I Promise
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »
Well, it's taken about as long as developing the real HP Hampden, but the end is in sight. So, there will be some photos soon.

In the meantime, the backstory.

Another Sunday in Whitehall, another week of dire news as the German occupation continues; worse yet, anther week of Winston. It’s hard enough as it is without his grandstanding, without his interference, but this? And now?

Viscount Swinton leant back, examined the desk in front of him. Three manila folders, three problems, three people in his waiting room; but only one directive. “Sort these out promptly old chap, we must allow every Briton the chance to offer their blood, toil, tears, and sweat.” All well and good for a first term PM, but for an Air Minister? He sighed, picked up the first folder.

Well of course Coastal Command want five more squadrons, they’d take twenty if I could find them, which branch wouldn’t? But now it’s all Spitfires and Hurricanes for Fighter Command. And Bowhill seems to think the damned things’ll fly themselves.

Then there’s Frederick Handley-Page. Why should I keep his Hampden line open, the damnable plane's only good for German ack-ack practice or the colonials. Innovative? He threw the folder back in disgust.
Only idiots would build bombers with wings too short to climb above 24,000 feet, the crews already think the Halifax is a death trap, what will they think of this thing? Anyway, I can’t keep it open, not with the lack of strategic materials.

Finally, as if it wasn’t bad enough the ATA agitating for an active role, somehow that Gower woman’s got Winston’s ear. So she has 8 pilots, and can promise 166 by years end. He’s demanding it, she has the public behind her and, more critically, my wife. How many more nights on the settee, how many more?

But, he mused, there was some good news. Lumber supply, particularly spruce, ash and marine ply are ridiculously good. Then there’s Vickers and their field trials of that airborne QF 2 pounder anti-tank gun.
Smooth bore. Lightweight. Rocket propelled. Armour piercing. Recoil-less. Viscount Swinton lit his pipe, played with the flimsy, smiled.

It’s one thing if I send them packing, but what can anyone say if they reject a perfectly reasonable offer? With the three of them stewing outside for the past two hours, perhaps all is not lost. He stacked the folders together; yes, this is perfect.

“I think,” he started as the three settled into chairs opposite him “there is a solution to all our problems ... .”

Thus was born the Handley Page Hartlepool, the Coastal Command-only variant of the Hampden. A single seat attack aircraft used for trade defence and North Sea reconnaissance, it was made of wood, carried one forward firing and one rearward firing QF 2(A) 40mm armour piercing cannon, plus underwing hardpoints for 10 HVAR rockets or bombs. A sea plane with clipped wings optimised for low altitude work in rough weather, ten squadrons were eventually stood up, with all female crews, between late 1940 to mid 1946 when the last aircraft was retired.

The model will depict F for Farcical from No. 748 WRAF(C) squadron, “Pankhurst’s Pirates”, flown alternately by Flight Lieutenants Rosemary Rees and Freydis Mary Leaf in late 1943.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:15:42 PM by Modelling_Mushi »

Re: HP Hartlepool - Finished With Pictures !
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
Took some happy snaps tonight, they will have to do for now ... or maybe for a while.

Hope it's been worth the wait.

Ciao

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 07:41:14 PM »
This is great to see this finished.

Terrific job

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 09:36:45 PM »
Weird but good, in a comic book way. :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 02:31:09 AM »
Wow!! :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 03:21:52 AM »
Beautiful!!  That looks like something I'd expect to see in a Marvel WW II comic.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 04:14:00 AM »
Kinda weird yet wonderful creativity in configuration and finish.  :smiley:
Imagine how much it would shake & shudder when cannon is fired.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »
Thanks guys.