Author Topic: Lauhof's profiles  (Read 288671 times)

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
Re: Lauhof's profiles
« Reply #675 on: August 10, 2015, 03:09:09 PM »
Hi Tophe, I certainly could give it a try..

regards
Lauhof

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #676 on: August 11, 2015, 01:56:46 AM »
Wonderful!
(Maybe the distant fuselage could have a nose of slightly increased length, to have no intermeshing propellers and short distance between propellers (not much asymmetry if one engine is in a jam).

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #677 on: November 06, 2015, 10:35:52 PM »
Wonderful!
(Maybe the distant fuselage could have a nose of slightly increased length, to have no intermeshing propellers and short distance between propellers (not much asymmetry if one engine is in a jam).

Hi Tophe!

It took a while! Had a long holiday in Greece and spend some days last week in Kopenhagen, so work on the profile delayed.
The Navy and Army experimented with aircraft construction with a double fuselage. So lockheed was building the P-38 and North American was busy with the P-82. Navy and Army asked NA to combine the P-64C and the F3J as a twin-fuselage machine with one cockpit. After several trials they managed to not only stabilize the plane but also upgrading speed and manoeuvrability by shortening the F3J fuselage.
At the end only the Marines were interested and here is one from their night-squadrons VMF(N)_531:

friendly regards
Lauhof

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:37:06 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #678 on: November 07, 2015, 12:33:57 AM »
WON-DER-FUL!!! :-* :-*
 :-* :-*
 :-* :-*

At the end only the Marines were interested
No, no: I am interested also, and all my armies will buy thousand copies (the armies in my mind love this double-plane)... ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #679 on: November 07, 2015, 05:37:55 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #680 on: November 07, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »
The F3J-2T was not just a dream on blueprint, see the prototype photographed in flight:

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #681 on: November 07, 2015, 10:28:08 PM »
Tophe, that's a very nice job you did with the F3J-2T!! Magnificent!

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #682 on: January 31, 2016, 02:46:35 AM »
It’s a ‘Gotspe’ (Jiddisch for ‘Not Done’) for USAF-fans to say that the U.S.Navy negotiated with the Republic Company to make a version of the P-47 for Fighter-Bomber targets. They did. There was a great possibility that the US needed to invade Japan and the Navy wanted a Fighter-Bomber bigger and faster than the SB2C Helldiver. The last one, which was called ‘the Beast’ wasn’t liked by most of the Navy pilots. That was needed for ground attacks on Japanese territory and also to have the ability for fighter actions.  Seversky had already with the XFN-1 an early possibility in getting a foothold  on the Navy market. It didn’t work at that time.

Republic started with a fighter version, the F2N-1 at the end of 1943 (maybe I draw it sometime) but the Navy was already busy with turning off the corsair. So it came to develop a fighter-bomber. Begin 1944 they upgraded a  P-47D to fighter-bomber. It was the FB2N-1 Thundershark. Because it was heavy and fast only the new build long-bow carriers could be used to test the new FB2N-1 if it was possible to use them on board carriers. They made squared off wingtips, who were a little bigger than the usual P-47 wings and two carriers were equipped with new heavy catapults. The USS Ticonderoga and the USS Randolph. There was also a safety net to catch any problems with the cable landing. After several attempts the Thundershark was able to do carrier landings and takeoffs.
VB-15 on board USS Randolph was the first bomber-squad to get the Thundershark. Also at the end of 1944 several Thundersharks were delivered tot he RAAF and RAF. They had still their tailhooks on but were only used from airstrips and bases. Here are two examples. One from VB-15 and one from No. 258 Sqn.

Best regards
Lauhof

Best regards
Lauhof

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:53:06 AM by lauhof52 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #683 on: January 31, 2016, 03:23:29 AM »
WOW!!!  :-* :-*

Could I ask you to overlay / map it to a regular P-47. I'd like to understand what is involved to build one of these bad boys.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #684 on: January 31, 2016, 03:36:40 PM »
Your FB2N nicely enrich the P-47 family, thanks! (If "Real" designers don't dare, yes, we can!) ;)

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #685 on: January 31, 2016, 06:30:07 PM »

Could I ask you to overlay / map it to a regular P-47. I'd like to understand what is involved to build one of these bad boys.

Thanks Big Gimper. Here is the line-drawing compared with the P-47.

regards
Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #686 on: January 31, 2016, 06:32:06 PM »
Your FB2N nicely enrich the P-47 family, thanks! (If "Real" designers don't dare, yes, we can!) ;)

HI Tophe, Thanks as Always.

regards
lauhof

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #687 on: January 31, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »

Thanks Big Gimper. Here is the line-drawing compared with the P-47.

regards
Lauhof

Thank you Lauhof. Now to dig out and allocate the potential donor kits.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #688 on: February 01, 2016, 02:28:01 AM »
You might wish to ensure the turbo's ducting etc don't get in the way:

Maybe the solution is to keep the fuselage stretched but to move the turret forward.  This could then place the turbo etc behind the crew.

That said, I like yours more than the crude thing I drew years ago:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:30:48 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #689 on: February 01, 2016, 02:30:29 AM »
If you can find the conversion, the canopy forward of the turret looks to be from a TP-47G "Doublebolt" trainer.  At a guess, I'd start with P-47N wings.  I wonder if you'd get a FB2N-2 by replacing the four .50 machine guns in each wing with two 20mm. cannon?

A quick check shows that Kora makes a 1/72 TP-47G conversion for Academy's 1/72 P-47D.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #690 on: February 01, 2016, 02:36:39 AM »

Maybe the solution is to keep the fuselage stretched but to move the turret forward.  This could then place the turbo etc behind the crew.

Well, the only problem seems to be interference between turret and turbosupercharger.  A stretched fuselage would work (note that Lauhof's initial fuselage does not appear to be stretched, it appears to use the TP-47G as a point of departure), but it would need to be done in such a way as to keep the c.g. from moving to a location where the aircraft would be uncontrollable.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #691 on: February 02, 2016, 03:45:24 AM »

Well, the only problem seems to be interference between turret and turbosupercharger.  A stretched fuselage would work (note that Lauhof's initial fuselage does not appear to be stretched, it appears to use the TP-47G as a point of departure), but it would need to be done in such a way as to keep the c.g. from moving to a location where the aircraft would be uncontrollable.

Hello Guys,

A real issue which was solved by Republic in the FB2N-2, the turret moved forward and the supercharger was installed a little further away.
Here is the line-drawing from the FB2N-2. The Marines flew with it. Profile is coming later one.

friendly regards
Lauhof
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:49:56 AM by lauhof52 »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #692 on: February 02, 2016, 10:32:04 AM »
I like it! Although ... just to confuse matters ... I'd move the cockpit further back from the firewall  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #693 on: February 02, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »
That deserves to be built!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #694 on: February 03, 2016, 02:40:03 AM »

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #695 on: February 03, 2016, 08:32:40 PM »
The FB2N-2 came in service with the US Marines beginning of 1945. Here is one from VMF-222:

Spring 1945 Republic came with the FB2N-3 with a different canopy and turret. here is one from VBF-87 in June 1945.

friendly regards
Lauhof
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:40:55 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #696 on: February 04, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »
So, are the wings similar to those of the P-47N in plan view?  I'm trying to figure the best modeling approach for this.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #697 on: February 04, 2016, 04:20:29 PM »
So, are the wings similar to those of the P-47N in plan view?  I'm trying to figure the best modeling approach for this.

Yes they are similar to the blunt wingtips of the P-47N.

lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #698 on: April 10, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »
In the 1930's Consolidated came with the P-30 (PB-2A) as a high-altitude two-seat fighter. It didn't fulfill the expectations of the USAAC due to temperature-problems of the gunner at heights. Consolidated started working on a new design of the PB-2A. It adjusted the fuselage and came with a different engine. The result was the scoutfighter SFY-1. It was delivered to the USN beginning of 1940. Tests were made during the whole year and the results were satisfied. So the USN asked for a fighter version. This became the FY-1. The SFY-1 was delivered to Navy-carrier squadrons June 1941 and the FY-1 with a shorter fuselage came in 1942. Here are to examples.

regards
Lauhof

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #699 on: April 10, 2016, 11:34:12 PM »
Unreal but good! :-*