Author Topic: 1/72 North Korean AF Yak-15  (Read 5675 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
1/72 North Korean AF Yak-15
« on: November 24, 2015, 05:27:38 AM »
Hi all,
A while ago I was browsing Wikipedia as I do many days at work, and started looking at the Yak-15. Essentially a Yak-3 with a jet whacked on the front, it began to intrigue me to the point I started looking at cheap Yak-3 kits online to bash with one of the hand-me-down built Me262s I received a while back. THEN I saw a Pioneer2 1/72 Yak-15 kit on TradeMe (NZ's eBay) for less than the cost of the cheapest Yak-3 so I figured why not?!

Well...how to paint it? This bothered me for a while until I rediscovered an A-Model Yak-18 sheet and AHA!

So now I have a nice little Korean People's Army Air Force Yak-15 from early in the Korean War. The type seems like a no-brainer for North Korea given they had Yak-9 piston-engined fighters. I have no backstory, just the kit - some fit issues around the wing you'll see but I just wanted a "slammer" - decalled with the aforementioned Yak-18 roundels and the nose number from the original kit.

Taildragging jets are just such a bad idea but I love how this type looks. I have to confess that, for the first time in a long time, I found myself "flying" it around the bench! I've downloaded versions for Microsoft Flight Simulator and Strike Fighters 2, so I look forward to seeing how it performs.

The only addition from the spares box was a small strut to replace the left gun barrel, which was gone when I got the kit. Nice and relaxing.

I hope you like it!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: 1/72 North Korean AF Yak-15
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 05:42:43 AM »
Nice Yak Zac.  ;D
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 07:41:46 AM »
That sure came out nice, Zac!

Love seeing one of these in DPRK markings, something a little different and you're right, sounds so natural for them to use the type as well.

You've posted some mighty fine models lately, Old Bean!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »
That looks so right, you wonder why we didn't see any in reality,  Beautiful work, Zac.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
Nice little kit.   Like your build.  Those must be among the simplest lowest cost jet fighters ever made.
Is there enough room in nacelle for a dry F404 ?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
Zak - looks good, especially in the all aluminum color and DPRK markings! I found the thick cockpit to be an annoyance with my kit, mainly because I detailed the cockpit and couldn't see it afterwards.

Evan - The F404 is slightly longer and wider than the Jumo 004/RD-10... but it's also heavier and has almost 5x the thrust (without AB). Maybe if the throttle is limited to just past idle it would work without tearing the airplane apart!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 02:42:36 AM »
Nice
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 03:10:32 AM »
Evan - The F404 is slightly longer and wider than the Jumo 004/RD-10... but it's also heavier and has almost 5x the thrust (without AB). Maybe if the throttle is limited to just past idle it would work without tearing the airplane apart!
Err, that was finsrin, not me.  If I was going to re-engine one, say, for the airshow circuit, I'd use a J85/CJ610 for the reliability; it's not current level tech, but it's good enough without overloading anything.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 03:29:06 AM »
Err, that was finsrin, not me.  If I was going to re-engine one, say, for the airshow circuit, I'd use a J85/CJ610 for the reliability; it's not current level tech, but it's good enough without overloading anything.
J85/CJ610 for sure more RW sensible.  Though can imagine airshow takeoff roll and climb out with F404.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:35:03 AM »
Thanks folks! I wanted to do something different so I used Tamiya Titanium. It gets rather thick (don't look too closely at the right-hand fuselage forward of the canopy) but looks nice over a black undercoat. I used Flat Aluminium for the control surfaces. Looking at the photos I maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe should've done more work on the belly seams, but to be honest I wanted to finish something quickly and this worked out well. It's an attractive little machine and, based on the displays I've seen of Allison-powered Yak-3s, it would be great to fly and display.

If I was going to re-engine one, say, for the airshow circuit, I'd use a J85/CJ610 for the reliability; it's not current level tech, but it's good enough without overloading anything.
That was my thinking: if anyone ever did a replica Yak-15 (say, using one of the new-build -3s or -9s as a pattern) - or an He162 - that's the engine to use. It seems to work very well in the various 262 repros around the place.
Zac in NZ

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 04:13:40 AM »
Williams FJ44 would be more modern - you'd just have to cope with the shorter length and lower weight.
Don't know how airport operators would feel about taildragger jets scorching their tarmac.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 06:31:59 AM »
Someone at another forum pointed out there's no anti-glare panel...I KNEW I'd forgotten something! That and some Phantom-style belly heat shieldy stuff will go on this weekend.
Zac in NZ

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:47:07 AM »
Nice one. 

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
Looks great Zac
Ray

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »
Thanks guys!

Ok. Finished for real this time.

Zac in NZ

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 10:35:17 PM »
I really like the added anti-glare panel, Zac! Really makes this baby pop!

Nice work, Old Bean!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 04:50:15 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.