Author Topic: Mega-carrier  (Read 40632 times)

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Mega-carrier
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:29:04 PM »
Got general idea couple years back.  Yeah but am doing 1/72 as finished builds which includes several scaleoramas.  Then Brian posts drawing of CHV-1 USS Admiral Perry within Republic F1R-4-7 topic.  Note how nicely B-17 fits on elevator.  Thatz it, am now hooked and blame it on Brian.  So here goes a big styrene reach.

Core kit is 1/350 Merit CV-67 USS John F Kennedy.  To be finished as 1/700 mega-carrier.  USN '46ish step beyond Midway class.  Tidy 2104 ft long if don't mess with length mods.
First step is attempt to cut hull to become a water line model.  IF SUCCESSFUL will be displayable (on blue plywood or ?) with other 1/700 waterline OOB and scaleorama ships.  If not successful, figure out a plan "B".

All ship accoutrements will be 1/700 or scale okay to be 1/700 for their application.  Island, deck edge walks, AA guns, aircraft, motor launches, etc... as 1/700.  Plenty 1/700 kits available as parts donors.
As of now - no gluing or plastic cut.  Top of green tape in picture is tentative line for hull cutting.

see attached ---
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:31:19 PM by finsrin »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Mega-carrier
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
So I can get this into my head visually Bill, what is the length on the model's hull/deck ?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:23:13 PM »
Sounds like an excellent idea.  Looking forward to many more progress reports and photos.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:51:21 PM »
So I can get this into my head visually Bill, what is the length on the model's hull/deck ?
He mentions 2104' long in his post?

Over a third of a mile. 0.6 km.

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 11:54:34 PM »
Don't forget to scale the lengths of the cats and arrestor wires.

Looking to put 4 cats in the bow and 3-4 at the waist? Maybe 2 sets of parallel arrestor wires to permit two aircraft to be recovered at one time?

You'd have enough room to put in a significant VLS farm for self defence.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 12:38:13 AM »
He mentions 2104' long in his post?

Over a third of a mile. 0.6 km.

So that makes the kit 3' long ---- hmm!

Online finsrin

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 02:49:50 AM »
Largest model I have started at 36.8 inches long.
Been cleaning and reorganizing model room because really needed it anyway and did not have area to set down hull to start work.
Halfway through room clean up.   Enough to clear table for pictures.
Reason-excuse to leave catapults as is to be large enough to launch navy B-17, C-47, others....  Variety of 1/700 aircraft available from Pit Road Models.

To be conventional powered with WW2 AA guns.  USN '46 is concept.  Getting these from WW2 USN 1/700 kits.  Preparing for prolonged war in the Pacific.
Next up is test cutting hulls of "used" models to see how it goes.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »
Best of luck with the cut!

Glad to see you're clearing out plenty of "dry dock" space.

Brian da Basher

Online finsrin

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »
Test cutting on a Graf Spee with power & nonpower tools.
Manual cutting appears way to go.  Patience and perseverance is needed....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:38:09 PM by finsrin »

Online finsrin

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 08:12:05 PM »
Manually cut hull.  Fortunately is not brittlish plastic prone to cracking.
Electric rotary small fine tooth blade might have worked out.  Cuts can go bad quick that way, so stayed with manual. 
Find that sawing improves with practice.  Used two saws depending on cut position.  Went quicker than expected.
Per hull markings, instruction sheet, CV-67 photos is cut at waterline.

Took pictures next to Revell 1/720 Essex class waterline kit.  So is pinch small.
With cut successful can go on to build mega-carrier.  Need to round up 1/700 donor kits.
Also have to finish model room redo.

see attached ---

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 08:21:40 PM »
This is so cool Bill. Megashark is doomed now!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 10:33:59 PM »
Good call Bill   :smiley: :smiley:

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 12:57:06 AM »
To be conventional powered with WW2 AA guns.  USN '46 is concept.  Getting these from WW2 USN 1/700 kits.  Preparing for prolonged war in the Pacific.
If you're going with WW2, the ceilings of the hangar decks were lower that modern carriers, so, having doubled the size of the deck, you really have about 3 times the height in available hangars. Having 3 hangar decks visible throught he hangar doors near the lifts woul dbe really cool.

She also sits very, very high. Notwithstanding that you've made the cuts, maybe lower the freeboard some more? Make the flight deck closer to the water?

Online finsrin

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 05:09:58 AM »
If you're going with WW2, the ceilings of the hangar decks were lower that modern carriers, so, having doubled the size of the deck, you really have about 3 times the height in available hangars. Having 3 hangar decks visible throught he hangar doors near the lifts woul dbe really cool.

She also sits very, very high. Notwithstanding that you've made the cuts, maybe lower the freeboard some more? Make the flight deck closer to the water?

Onboard with and appreciate your comments.  That is all comments.  Been thinking same topics.  Letting look of carrier after hull cut sink in (no pun intended) as what to do if anything.
Being in wonderful world of styrene imagineering and available 1/700 aircraft; air group can be expanded to include B-17, B-25, B-26, B-29, C-47.  Of course naval folding wing versions as determined case by case.  Catapults now larger in all dimensions to handle larger aircraft.  Higher hanger deck can clear higher tails.

>>  Hanger openings are 7/8 high.  Raise hanger floor to put openning in 3/4 - 5/8 range.  B-29 tail height is .48".  Raising floor a bit increases meganess impression of opening.  Kit does include hanger deck floor.
>>  With floor raised can trim hull bottom equal amount or so....  Otta build 1/700 Essex class to compare for judging freeboard change.

Is stuff to figure out.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 06:25:36 AM »
This is so cool Bill. Megashark is doomed now!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Joking aside, that's looking fantastic! I always feel like I hit the lottery whenever I get the cuts right and this one was championship caliber!

I especially like how the water-line model is posed next to it. Not being a ship builder, I appreciate seeing the difference.

Looks like you're well under-way, Admiral Fins! May you have smooth sailing all the way!

Brian da Basher

Online finsrin

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »
For those who follow the details:
"tankmodeler" steered me in this direction.  Proceeding with those hanger deck height and freeboard adjustments in mind.  Raised hanger deck up and reduced height of elevator opening from 51 ft to 36.5 ft.  Like the effect.
No sweat for B-29 27 ft 9 in tail to clear.  Even B-50 32 ft 8 in tail clears.  Ya know - gotta plan ahead when designing large expensive carriers.
Need to reduce stern opening accordingly.  Freeboard to flight deck is ~125 ft.  Figure given for fully laden Nimitz class is ~57 ft.
After close look at hull a .25 inch bottom cut is max feasible.  Which is 14.6 scale ft.  Be near proportional to Nimitz size scaling and all that jazz.

see attched ---
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:21:02 PM by finsrin »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 11:18:50 PM »
I've got to agree, I like the effect too, Admiral!

Brian da Basher

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 06:07:56 PM »
That's a Carrier!  8)  8)  8)

Online finsrin

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 08:03:43 PM »
Thank you,,,  is paradigm shift from 1/72.
Another day at ship yard.  Removed that .25" from bottom of hull.  Is gone now.  Inspite of height loss, more look at it more realistic heavy mega-carrier is in appearance from different viewing angles.
Raising hanger deck and reducing freeboard were right moves suggested by "tankmodeler". 
Considering to or not to redo bow.  Stay with hurrican bow or change to nonhurricane with 40mm AA guns etc in front.  Exposed beams supporting front of flight deck.  Have be careful not to screw-up bow.  Needs to be studdied before deciding to do or not to do.

Attached combo before-after pictures of freeboard lowering cut ---

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 09:41:44 PM »
At that size keep the bow as is & just pop a twin/quad-40mm tub on either side of the leading edge of the flight deck & a couple out the front (with hatches back into the ship, of course) below deck level. She's way big enough to cope with that.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »
Looks better with that trim, Admiral!

Now that your mega-carrier sits lower, it's easier for me to imagine a busy flight deck with lots of air ops going on.

Thanks for the great updates! I'm enjoying the ride immensely!

Brian da Basher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 12:08:09 AM »
This project has me pondering something similar, maybe for the upcoming "Floaty" GB.  I've been looking at one of the 1/350 Littoral Combat Ships as the base for a 1/700 amphibious assault ship with a compliment of V-22s, CH-53s and AH-1Ws (no one makes F-35Bs or AH-1Zs in /700 yet).

Looking forward to this build progressing.  Looks cool so far.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 01:35:22 AM »
Bill, are going to go island-less like the USS United States (CVA-58)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_United_States_(CVA-58)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »
This project has me pondering something similar, maybe for the upcoming "Floaty" GB.  I've been looking at one of the 1/350 Littoral Combat Ships as the base for a 1/700 amphibious assault ship with a compliment of V-22s, CH-53s and AH-1Ws (no one makes F-35Bs or AH-1Zs in /700 yet).

Looking forward to this build progressing.  Looks cool so far.
You might see if anyone makes 1/700 Harriers to add to the firepower.

Addendum:  I just checked, 1/700 Harriers are available from both Trumpeter and Orange Hobby.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:04:01 AM by elmayerle »

Online finsrin

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »
Alright,,, going to fiddle with placing 40mm tubs.  Avoid potential disaster of doing too much with bow.

Was a - take pause here goes moment.  Trim did work.  More realistic for placing with other flotilla ships.  Is "realistic" a realistic term for this ?

Littoral combat ship becomes amphibious assult is great concept.  You have plenty time to assess what model and parts to gather before GB start.

Done some island contemplation.  Going with conventional island.  Funnel size/capacity/footprint must approximate OOB cuz is already sized for boilers onboard.  Bridge portion(s) to be from 1/700 donor.

For that LCS conversion finding 1/700 Harriers on Ebay.  Must be elsewhere too.

BTW - Bottom of hull from first cut can be hull for waterline 1/72 gunboat.  Cut off stern where taper starts.  Attached pictures of it upside & downside with favorite gunboat.  Or maybe 1/700 ship.  Something for another thread....

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:53:03 AM by finsrin »