Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 904998 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1150 on: February 27, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »
Something silly. Bell's Model 429 goes on the attack ...
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1151 on: February 27, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #1152 on: February 27, 2015, 11:41:29 AM »
Love them!

I notice the (much smaller) clamshell doors are still on the top one... Is that for passengers? :)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #1153 on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »
I wonder how they'd react to those at work?  Those do look intriguing.  The aft clamshell doors for ro-ro (roll on - roll off) mission pallets?

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #1154 on: February 27, 2015, 09:21:47 PM »
I wonder how they'd react to those at work?  Those do look intriguing.  The aft clamshell doors for ro-ro (roll on - roll off) mission pallets?

They might wonder how you knew about these already. :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1155 on: February 28, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »
Thanks folks.

I notice the (much smaller) clamshell doors are still on the top one... Is that for passengers? :)

I was thinking more of carrying your own reloads when deploying to an FOL. Teensy bit cramped in there for passengers  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #1156 on: February 28, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »
I got to thinking that it might be really useful as a multi-purpose mission bay.

Possible uses, in addition to the transport of reloads to an FOL, would include:

• Carriage/Deployment of unmanned systems: UGV,USV and UAV
  • Internal carriage of extended range fuel tankage, saving pylon space
  • Special electronics fit: Equipment needed for special missions such as ECM/EW, ELINT or systems required for advanced weapons. The sensors can then go on the pylons
  • CSAR crew recovery
  • Sensor deployment, including sonobouys or the various surface-movement detectors

Could be a unique capability.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #1157 on: March 01, 2015, 12:22:41 AM »
I got to thinking that it might be really useful as a multi-purpose mission bay.

Possible uses, in addition to the transport of reloads to an FOL, would include:

• Carriage/Deployment of unmanned systems: UGV,USV and UAV
  • Internal carriage of extended range fuel tankage, saving pylon space
  • Special electronics fit: Equipment needed for special missions such as ECM/EW, ELINT or systems required for advanced weapons. The sensors can then go on the pylons
  • CSAR crew recovery
  • Sensor deployment, including sonobouys or the various surface-movement detectors

Could be a unique capability.
As I said, ro-ro mission pallets.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1158 on: March 04, 2015, 05:49:16 AM »
Not a whif, an almost-was  ;)  The proposed Vazar Turbine Husky conversion (and the base Fairchild Husky F-11-2 bushplane).

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #1159 on: March 04, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »
Nice ones!
You could participate to the current Floaty GB, yes!

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #1160 on: March 04, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »
indeed !  :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1161 on: March 14, 2015, 10:51:50 AM »

Thanks folks!

Since the EC 645 T2 came up elsewhere ... an almost-is rather than a whif ;)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1162 on: March 14, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
I didn't know it but the version you mentionned leaded me to http://www.airbushelicopters.com/website/en/ref/H145M_47.html with Google's help. And your one seems a little different, lighter, no?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #1163 on: March 14, 2015, 08:17:46 PM »

Thanks folks!

Since the EC 645 T2 came up elsewhere ... an almost-is rather than a whif ;)

Great job, that is a very nice looking helicopter and would probably look good in any markings, you got more versions planned?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1164 on: March 15, 2015, 10:29:09 AM »

Tophe: Thanks for the link. That H145M rebranding for the the EC645 T2 must be pretty recent. I think that my speculative version looks 'lighter' than the Airbus Helicopters demonstrator just because the  Luftwaffe type is shown without pylons.

Volkodav: Hmmm, hadn't really thought about that. Any suggestions for markings?

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1165 on: March 15, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »
Maybe Roma Vatican Air Force (the new pope seems so popular, he needs defense against the crowd) ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1166 on: March 22, 2015, 06:07:54 AM »
You could participate to the current Floaty GB, yes!

Thanks for the idea Tophe. I've paired up the Turbine Husky with another unbuilt floatplane project -- the Beaver Aircraft of Canada NG Super Otter.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=5306

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1167 on: May 03, 2015, 05:54:41 AM »

Something different.  I'd meant to get this ready for the Book/Movie/Game GB but ...  :P

Comment on Kenneth Molson's great work, Canadian Aircraft Since 1909,* often bemoans its lack of Putnam-style 3-view drawings. But there is a greater omission - a single page on B.W. Bandy's Gander Experimental Mk.I amphibian.

Since the Gander prototype was built in the US, Molson intended to cover the Bandy aircraft in the Appendices. Somehow, the assigned page number (pg 524) was forgotten by the typesetter. Instead of being slotted in between the Avro Avian and the Grumman G-23 Goblin as planned, the Bandy Gander entry was left out all together.

Fortunately, the omitted galley page was rescued from the archives of Putnam's printer (that would be the blue recycling bin out the back). This is an irreplaceable and priceless piece of Canadian aviation history ... so, naturally, it will be open for bids on eBay next week  ;)

* Canadian Aircraft Since 1909, KM Molson and HA Taylor, Canada's Wings, Stittsville, ON, 1982, ISBN 0920002110

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1168 on: May 09, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »

A portion of a blueprint showing the sideview of the Bandy Gander in its intial guise, powered by a 190 hp Renault 8Gd water-cooled V-8 engine. This cropped artwork presumeably originated with the Glenn L. Martin Company.

The Bandy Papers are the 9-volume memoirs of Bartholomew Wolfe Bandy (ghosted by Donald Jack). The Bandy Gander amphibian features in two volumes:

Me Too (Volume V of The Bandy Papers)
ISBN 9780981024486
Published Dec 2010
E-book edition
ISBN 9780986497490
Published October 2012

This One's On Me (Volume VI of The Bandy Papers)
Paperback ISBN 9780973950557
E-book ISBN 9780981024462
400pp.
Pub. July 2008

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1169 on: May 09, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
No windscreen and no frontal view? This is funny... (but Real project?) :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1170 on: May 10, 2015, 05:12:06 AM »

Tophe: The image is a 'warmed over' Dornier Do B Merkur. Alas, the Bandy Gander was only a figment of Donald Jack's imagination.

The Merkur's frontal view would have been even worse! Replacing the BMW VI V-12 with the inline Puma could only have improved matters.

For the record, the entire Bandy Papers are now available as e-Books:

- Volume I of the Bandy Papers ---- Three Cheers For Me, 1962
- Volume II of the Bandy Papers --- That's Me in the Middle, 1973
- Volume III of the Bandy Papers -- It's Me Again, 1975
 -- Orig. published separately as It's Me Again and Me Among the Ruins
- Volume IV of the Bandy Papers --- Me Bandy, You Cissie, 1979
- Volume V of the Bandy Papers ---- Me Too, 1983
- Volume VI of the Bandy Papers --- This One's On Me, 1987
- Volume VII of the Bandy Papers -- Me So Far, 1989
- Volume VIII of the Bandy Papers - Hitler vs. Me, 1996
- Volume IX of the Bandy Papers --- Stalin vs. Me, 2005

http://www.sybertooth.com/bandy/

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1171 on: May 28, 2015, 05:24:38 AM »
The Kosher Hustler - the B-58i Ariyyáhu, my entry into the Extended Service Life and/or Back dated GB:
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=5433.0

For those interested, there is also the B-58A Hustler armed with the British Blue Steel missile:
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=5345.msg90554#msg90554

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1172 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
With this huge missile, the B-58 almost looks like a (vertical) twin-plane... ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #1173 on: May 28, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
I just had a completely off the wall idea and couldn't think of anywhere better to put it, a carrier based strike bomber version of the Hustler, flying off a notional hyper carrier, developed in the 50's as an enlargement of the USS United States (assuming the class was built instead of cancelled).  What would be really fun is if this carrier was a joint project with the UK, say the US builds five or six and the UK three. 

Anyway, details of the carriers aside, the ships are built and they are specifically designed to embark supersonic medium bombers as large as the B-58.  Paint schemes would be easy, just how to do arrester hook, catapult strop or bar and how to modify the undercarriage into something believable and would the wings fold or not?  I just have a picture in my mind of a Hustler in a FAA Buccaneer scheme.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1174 on: May 30, 2015, 11:57:28 AM »
Sea Boots for the Hustler

The General Dynamics Sea Hustler was a one-off bomber prototype for the US Navy. First flown in August 1958, the supersonic bomber was designated as YB3G-1.* The naval bomber differed from its USAF counterpart in having larger twin engines and naval equipment.

The YB3G-1 powerplants were GE YJ92s,** an enlarged development of the B-58A's J79 engines. The twin YJ92s generated 57,600 lb.s.t. in full afterburner (less than the four B-58A's J79s but sufficient for the lighter YB3G-1.

Despite a rigorous weight reduction program, it was obvious at an early stage that the General Dynamics bomber would be too big to operate in any numbers from even the largest of US Navy carriers. As a result, the program was eliminated.

The Sea Hustler stayed in US Navy service as a test airframe until damaged in Feb 1962. By then, the bomber category had been dropped and the Sea Hustler redesignated as YAG-1.

* For some reason, the BuAer continued the old Great Lakes series of bomber designations.

** The YJ92 turbojet was related to the USAF's YB94 (for the XB-70 and XF-108). While the YB94 sprang from General Electric's Mach 3-capable X279, the Navy's J92 was to be the production version of the Mach 2 X275 engine.