Author Topic: CF-IDS Resurrection  (Read 3164 times)

CF-IDS Resurrection
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
Hello

I started this 2 years or so ago and haven't worked on it for so long I can't find the thread I posted it to   :-[

Anyhow, I've started her back up. She's a 1/72 Italieri IDS Tornado that is being converted to a Canadian VTOL long range ship. Wont bore you with the dramas re the wings and my first attempt at setting them in, suffice to say the wings are now fixed in position.

Managed to find the backstory to go with her:

Backstory

In my confusingly long backstory mind, I'm basing the build upon the failure of the YF-17 to progress beyond the LWF fighter flyoff. It lost the USAF LWF fly off, and subsequently participated in the US Navy VFAX programme against the YF-16, Grumman's F-14X low cost Tomcat and others. The VFAX winner was the F-14X (in this universe actually being low cost and having commonality withthe F-14A in service). So by 1973 the YF-17 was dead, and the F-18 series still born.

So in 1977 when Canada looked to replace its Canadair CF-116 Freedom Fighters, Canadair CF-104 and Lockheed F-104 Starfighters and McDonnell Douglas CF-101 Voodoos no F-18 option was available to compete against the F-14, F-15, F-16, Mirage 2000 and Panavia Tornado. Although the then government of the day under Pierre Trudeau had initiated the decision to replace the fighter force in early 1978 an abrupt about face was made due to public and budgetary pressures and the replacement procurement cancelled. It was not until early 1987, when the state of Canada's ageing fighter fleet was of serious concern, that the new Prime Minister Brian Mulroney reopened the competition. Unlike the 1977 competition a key requirement was innovation in submissions, with leading edge technological solutions to Canadas requirements for long loiter, high speed and ability to utilise semi prepared airstrips being encouraged. In amongst the group of contenders were all the 1977 competitors, including Panavia. Panavia recognised that, when facing down the manufacturing and soft diplomacy muscle of the USA, the Tornado was at a distinct disadvantage. By 1987 the 500th Tornado was scheduled to be delivered to West Germany, and the end of the production run of ECR/IDS/Gr/ADV variants was expected to peak at just under 1,000 with final deliveries to Oman and possibly Saudi Arabia by the middle of the 1990s. In addition development of the Eurofighter and the JSF in the USA seemed to confirm the end of the Tornado's production life.

Facing what seemed to be an insurmountable hurdle with the standard Tornado, Panavia submitted a bold redesign to try to win over the Canadians. It was decided to use the Canadian process as a technology demonstration, consciously pushing the edge of the Tornado's basic airframe design and matching it with cutting edge technology, whilst at the same time paring back purchase and life cycle costs to the bone in the hope of reinvigorating the program and attracting new orders. What was presented to the Candians was a four engined VTOL development of the basic swing wing airframe, matching high speed with extended range, cavernous internal weapons bay, and the ability to "plug and play" load out and swing roles between air to air, air to surface, ECM and ELINT whilst airborne. A fly away cost of $28 million per airframe was estimated, and lucrative sub-manufacturing agreements with Canadian businesses were held out.

Although not having flown and with only the broadest of technology demonstrators available, in late 1989 the Panavia entry was declared the winner, and a contract for the supply of 150 airframes plus 25 options (with heavily punitive clauses for nonperformance) was signed in early 1990. Total capital outlay for 150 aircraft, spares and support was $4.3 billion.

The first aircraft was delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force in May of 1992, with production and delivery of 175 airframes completed in late 1998. On commissioning the Canadians adopted Panavia's designation for their new aircraft, it becoming the CF-IDS Wolverine in service.

Pics below show where she is up to, ready for first major PSR sessions. One top view, one under view, and one showing the wing tip mounted jet pods (pick the Vostok components   :D)

White bits are plastic card and filler.

I'll bookmark this to post progress.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:52:10 PM by Modelling_Mushi »
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: CF-IDS Resurrection
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »
good project, go on ;)

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:07 PM »
Watching with interest :)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:36:42 AM »
Ooo ... this is gonna be good  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:39:04 AM »
Rotating liftjets at the ends of VG wings... I don't even dare to think of the engineering opportunities. But where is all that fuel for that "extended range"? Going for CFT's, or is part of the fuel stored in the now-empty rear fuselage, and the rest in those "shock cones" for the engine pods to maintain CoG when it's burned? Of course, the size of that weapons bay leaves all four underwing pylons free for drop tanks... Also, the fuselage probably needs to be built of solid adamantium and/or vibranium around the weapons bay that extends all the way to the VG mechanism - there's very little to hold the plane together around that.

And none of that matters because of the Rule of Cool. This is completely crazy in all the right ways. :P

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »
Ok guys, Im now back on the horse so to speak so here is some slow progress on the IDS Tornado. Specifically, undercoat part 1 of the PSR dance.

Ciao
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
 :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
Good!

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:26:03 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 03:10:53 AM »
What an intriguing concept!

If you had a newsletter, I'd subscribe.

Brian da Basher