Author Topic: French WWII tanks: Char B, Somua, Renault, Hotchkiss, ...  (Read 3402 times)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
French WWII tanks: Char B, Somua, Renault, Hotchkiss, ...
« on: January 20, 2016, 03:47:51 AM »
Sorta of an armoured Normandie-Niemen

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:09:43 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: French WWII tanks: Char B, Somua, Renault, Hotchkiss, ...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 04:43:13 AM »
Another one from DeviantArt.

Autoblinde SOMUA S35bis by Medjoeon on DeviantArt

The Autoblinde SOMUA S35bis was a rival to the AMX 40bis program, both companies focused on filling the order for a highly mobile scout vehicle, inspired by the Wehrmacht's Sdkfz 234. A mid-war project, it aimed to integrate the Büssing-NAG suspension used on the Sdkfz 231/232/234 series of reconnaissance vehicles to a lightened S35 hull and turret, the S35bis served as a light reconnaissance vehicle to support the French Army's cavalry tanks on the field.  Produced in limited numbers, there were too few of them equipping French divisions in 1940 during the Battle of France, and consequently they were relegated to training and reserve units, seeing some more action during the liberation of France several years later. This particular vehicle bears the red diamond, used for the 3rd company, 3rd platoon cavalry tanks, and the number 27 was in the range of numbers used for cavalry tanks such as its tracked counterpart.

The experience gained by the French designers in this program would go on to consolidate their knowledge, culminating into the Panhard and EBR wheeled tank designs of post-war France.

1st half of the project aimed at exploring WW2 French AFV design with a German inspiration. Also, now that I have some more free time I am able to devote more time to my works :)

Autoblinde SOMUA S35bis by Medjoeon on DeviantArt

Cheers,

Logan

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
Re: French WWII tanks: Char B, Somua, Renault, Hotchkiss, ...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 03:48:21 AM »
Hotchkiss H35 with tight shooting 40mm gun

Somua S35 with tight shooting 50mm gun